• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Follow up to Saturday afternoon

Grant Pearson

Okay guys, I just got done talking with The Captain following "The Talk" With the CO we had an issue with. Capt. said that after talking with us, he wasn't 100% sure that we were innocent until interviewing a few others after us. He said that the people that called us in just said that they saw someone with a muzzleloader and shotgun shoot a deer and leave it and used our vehicle as the vehicle that they came it. The people that actually did it were driving the same type of vehicle, but w/o a trailer. She also said that things were handled differently with me being a FAS instructor. She said that he would've grilled us harder had I not brought that up. She also said that she agreed that he did grill us pretty hard even after seeing the guns and making sure that all rounds were accounted for. She said that the CO said that Sandmannd's vest "only covered his chest." Whatever. Sandmannd has since gotten a vest that covers way more of his upper body so now no one can complain.

Thanks. That's all I really wanted to have happen. Just for his sup. to have a talk with him.

I called her yesterday just to follow up with what KF had said. I have to say she was extremely nice to me. She told me all of what KF had said. Sounds like there were two goofs out there in the same type of rig with no trailer and differant color. Couple of guys came out of the woods that he questioned and verified we didn't shoot that day. Thanks to them, whoever they are. Had a nice conversation with her and she told me of a place to try out there if I can make it out because she said it would be nice for me to get my first deer. That was real nice of her, but I won't be able to make it out so I'll have to try next year. She also said the CO was a concerned that we were that upset and asked her if he could call us. She told him probably not a good idea because of how PO'd we were about it. I told her that I have nothing but respect for law enforcement and what they do. I reiterated that I have no problem with being questioned for what he was told we had done. Just would have been nice to have been nicer when he was done. Once she said he wasn't convinced when he left us it made more sense to me. I'm not saying he couldn't have handled it differently, but it's nice to hear their perspective. I told her that she could tell him I hold no ill will towards it and understand the circumstances were out of the norm. I also told her if he wanted I would welcome his call and he saw me in the furture or needed me for anything in the future that I'm fine with him.

All in all, just chaulk it up to an experiance that probably won't ever see again.

Cool! I am glad that you both had a chance to follow up with the right channels. I know what you endured was out of the norm but I commend you for knowing the law, not hiding anything and even, when needed correcting the CO. It sounds like someone else may have gotten off a bit easily. Again, I commend you both for doing the right thing. Good work boys!

Tunrevir! cool.gif

In all honesty, all I really wanted was for him to realize that he might have stepped over the line. With him wanting to call us and apologize, I think he realized that.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.