• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Innotek TT-100A GunDog Trainer w/ Beeper

MNUser

Anybody using one of these? My son and I just purchased our first hunting dog. He is a 10.5 month old brittney. So far, in the yard...., he has shown promise. He has been worked with in the field and is PERFECT in the house. He is a VERY nice dog and well behaved. We are taking him to a hunting preserve on Friday to work with him before we set him off in the field. We want to be sure we have control of him.

I'm hoping I do not need to go the collar route. I would prefer him to be trained well and obedient. I have just been looking at the collars available just in case we go that route.

Our first "real" hunt is planned for the weekend of the 17/18. I hope to get a couple of mini hunts under our belt before then.

I have read both books by Richard A. Wolters and they had some great info in them.

Thanks for the help!

I had the innotek command series TT track and train beeper/collar combo. The concept was good, but I had a lot of problems with mine. One of the innotek features is that you need to program or pair the transmitter with the collar. Mine would frequently quit and not recognize the collar and then need to be reprogramed, even with fresh batteries. I did like the small size and ability to use a bird launcher with the same transmitter, but I couldn't stand that it never worked when I needed it the most. I think the dogra or tritonics collars are much more reliable and also have rechargable sealed batteries that are so much better than using some wierd size lithium camera battery that you can only find in a few larger stores. I have the new G2 upland special with the collar and beeper and really like it so far. Keep the dog on the check chord the first year and buy the e-collar next year. I really like the ability to locate or turn on the beeper with the transmitter. It seems like I always end up in the cattails or 7ft tall nasty stuff to find the pheasants, and it's nice to know where your dog is.

I would stay away from the Innotek. I also have one with all the same problems. I bought a Dogtra last year and like it MUCH better.

I have had that same one for around 3 years without a problem, other than the need to sync the collar and remote together once in a blue moon, which only takes a second or two.

Quote:

I have the new G2 upland special with the collar and beeper

Mark, with the Upland G2 do you ever experience the problem where the collar rotates and the beeper and receiver unit end up being on the sides of your dog's neck instead of the beeper being on top and the receiver on the bottom. I've heard of this but haven't seen it and I'm pondering the G2 or another train/beep combo. Just looking for your experiences with that particular collar in that regard.

Clark

MNUser. I am sure you already plan on it if you go the e-collar route....but I just wanted to mention to make sure you collar condition the dog properly before using the collar in any regular scenarios. It does take a little time to condition them to the commands and how to properly respond.

Enjoy the pup and the hunts!!!

I use the dogtra 2000 T&B and it has been trouble free.

beeper has different modes etc run and point with the pager.

I also like being able to adjust the level of the shock from 0 to 100. i cant rember if other collars had that many options on the level shock I thought some were just 1 to 10.

Congrats on the new pup. I have 2 britts myself. In my opinion, an e-collar is standard equipment while hunting.

It goes hand in hand with commands. Sometimes the dog can't hear your commands in the field.Safety too. I have witnessed a family dog chasing a missed bird towards the road, as a semi was coming towards the "accident." Turned out OK, but 6 grown men had large pits in their stomachs for a few moments. Yell all you want at the dog, but an e-collar will help control the animal. It doesn't hurt the

dog either. Shock yourself. No big deal.

One more thing, birds run out the back as hunters are yelling field commands at their dogs. Good luck with the britt.

Quote:

Quote:

I have the new G2 upland special with the collar and beeper

Mark, with the Upland G2 do you ever experience the problem where the collar rotates and the beeper and receiver unit end up being on the sides of your dog's neck instead of the beeper being on top and the receiver on the bottom. I've heard of this but haven't seen it and I'm pondering the G2 or another train/beep combo. Just looking for your experiences with that particular collar in that regard.

Clark

I have a 40 lb vizsla with a smaller neck. Yes, it is a constant problem for me because the beeper is giant. I see that tritonics even sells a counterbalance/dummy collar to help keep the beeper upright when used alone. Between the collar, beeper, buckle, and the D-ring I don't have enough neck to get everything perfectly centered (hers is about 12"). On a dog with a larger sized neck, I don't think it would be a big issue. I always place the collar as high on the neck as I can, and also tight to minimize this. One of the prongs seems to end up over the flap of skin on the neck and the other prong in the center, which can lead to those neck scabs when they collar is rubbing the neck for 3-4 day hunts. The beeper seems to end up right behind one of the ears, so it's not sideways but usually at about a 45 degree angle if you know what I mean. I think the beeper is tall enough that even when it's behind an ear, the noise is still projected away and not directly into it. The beeper is VERY LOUD so it works well for big runners or deaf hunters. There are only 2 volume settings, and low volume is louder than most other beepers on the market. For me the deciding factor would be if your going to be using it on multiple dogs. I have the EXP version and I plan on having some pups next year so it will be nice to just add another collar. (the EXP can run up to 3 collars). If I was only going to use it on one dog I think I would buy dogtra because of the smaller size and pager feature. Tritonics does say it has a locator/pager but basically when you turn on the beeper then off, it has a different ascending then descending tone (kind of cheesy). I really like the 1 mile range and it works great, if the beeper was smaller and lighter it would be the ultimate combo collar. I had a water retrive on a pheasant last week, and the beeper was totally submerged. Luckily, it still functions fine. I was a little worried because the beeper has a small rubber o-ring to keep it water-tight. You can't beat tritonics reliability or customer service.