Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF-1984

Pelican

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has been hunting Pelican and if so how have you been doing? Also if anyone lives near the lake, have you been seeing many hunters?

I go out there once in awhile. I was otu there two afternoons last week. There are birds around, but they are extremely weary and do not deocy. And they all seem to come in right at sundown. IMO opinion, pelican is overhunted. There are always numerous groups of hunters on the lake. Weekdays are fine, but on weekends easpecially early on in the season you have to be at the launch 2 hours or more before shooting time, then still you have to compete with 50 different groups for a spot to hunt. The worst part is getting otu there and every time you pass a spot you get a fricken spotlight shined in your face. This would be a great spot if everyone and there cousin did not hunt it.

My sentiments exactly, jg.

They need to turn Pelican into a waterfowl resting area, and eliminate the use of motors during the waterfowl season. Might make the more distant areas of the lake a bit less crowded, and keep some parts of the lake holding ducks longer. You know keep some of the birds on the lake all day instead of driving them off untill sunset. A refuge area might help too but I think the ducks usually learn fast where that is and stop using the huntable parts of the lake all together.

They need to do something out there, I haven't hunted out there in years because of the crowds, and some of the unbelievable things that happened out there.

I agree, no motors during the waterfowl season. The ducks are just pushed out. In the dark in the morning you just here motors, do you think the ducks are going to stick around?

I'm pretty sure I'm against reducing the water levels too. Besides eliminating some pretty good fishing, I don't think it will acomplish the goal of eliminating all fish. I don't think they will lower the levels enough to kill the bullheads and carp. Plus, all it will do is reduce water area. Concentrating the ducks even more and reducing hunting spots. Take all the money earmarked for this project and all the "studies" it will take, and buy up every piece of property within half a mile of Pelican lake wet spots, and eliminate motors.

This lake is too big to be non motorized. I have been out on many windy days and it gets very dangerous.If you took away motors you take away many hunting opportunities for metro hunters and take away safety. Enough people have died on this lake. Imagine alot of hunters bunched up near the landing and all of the ducks on the other side of the lake. Ken

Quote:

This lake is too big to be non motorized. I have been out on many windy days and it gets very dangerous.If you took away motors you take away many hunting opportunities for metro hunters and take away safety. Enough people have died on this lake. Imagine alot of hunters bunched up near the landing and all of the ducks on the other side of the lake. Ken

Motors are banned on most of Lake Christina, a much larger lake than Pelican. I think it would be a good thing to ban motors on Pelican. They won't be taking away hunting opportunities for people willing to work for them. Also, the known public access isn't the only place you people are able to put boats in the water. There are currently 5 areas of public land that boats can be put in from and by the end of 2009 there will be 2 others.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm against reducing the water levels too. Besides eliminating some pretty good fishing, I don't think it will acomplish the goal of eliminating all fish. I don't think they will lower the levels enough to kill the bullheads and carp. Plus, all it will do is reduce water area. Concentrating the ducks even more and reducing hunting spots. Take all the money earmarked for this project and all the "studies" it will take, and buy up every piece of property within half a mile of Pelican lake wet spots, and eliminate motors.

Eliminating fish is not the only objective of the proposed draw-down. It is also to improve the habitat and available food for waterfowl by adding nutirent back into the soil. Pelican is a wildlife lake and will be managed as such. The feds are trying to buy as much of the property as possible around pelican lake. They have just bought 2 parcels of land that will be available for public use in the next 2 years. Landowners aren't always willing to sell though and it would be near impossible to by every piece of property in the area.