• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if anyone has been hunting Pelican and if so how have you been doing? Also if anyone lives near the lake, have you been seeing many hunters?

I go out there once in awhile. I was otu there two afternoons last week. There are birds around, but they are extremely weary and do not deocy. And they all seem to come in right at sundown. IMO opinion, pelican is overhunted. There are always numerous groups of hunters on the lake. Weekdays are fine, but on weekends easpecially early on in the season you have to be at the launch 2 hours or more before shooting time, then still you have to compete with 50 different groups for a spot to hunt. The worst part is getting otu there and every time you pass a spot you get a fricken spotlight shined in your face. This would be a great spot if everyone and there cousin did not hunt it.

• 3 weeks later...

They need to turn Pelican into a waterfowl resting area, and eliminate the use of motors during the waterfowl season. Might make the more distant areas of the lake a bit less crowded, and keep some parts of the lake holding ducks longer. You know keep some of the birds on the lake all day instead of driving them off untill sunset. A refuge area might help too but I think the ducks usually learn fast where that is and stop using the huntable parts of the lake all together.

They need to do something out there, I haven't hunted out there in years because of the crowds, and some of the unbelievable things that happened out there.

I agree, no motors during the waterfowl season. The ducks are just pushed out. In the dark in the morning you just here motors, do you think the ducks are going to stick around?

I'm pretty sure I'm against reducing the water levels too. Besides eliminating some pretty good fishing, I don't think it will acomplish the goal of eliminating all fish. I don't think they will lower the levels enough to kill the bullheads and carp. Plus, all it will do is reduce water area. Concentrating the ducks even more and reducing hunting spots. Take all the money earmarked for this project and all the "studies" it will take, and buy up every piece of property within half a mile of Pelican lake wet spots, and eliminate motors.

This lake is too big to be non motorized. I have been out on many windy days and it gets very dangerous.If you took away motors you take away many hunting opportunities for metro hunters and take away safety. Enough people have died on this lake. Imagine alot of hunters bunched up near the landing and all of the ducks on the other side of the lake. Ken

Quote:

This lake is too big to be non motorized. I have been out on many windy days and it gets very dangerous.If you took away motors you take away many hunting opportunities for metro hunters and take away safety. Enough people have died on this lake. Imagine alot of hunters bunched up near the landing and all of the ducks on the other side of the lake. Ken

Motors are banned on most of Lake Christina, a much larger lake than Pelican. I think it would be a good thing to ban motors on Pelican. They won't be taking away hunting opportunities for people willing to work for them. Also, the known public access isn't the only place you people are able to put boats in the water. There are currently 5 areas of public land that boats can be put in from and by the end of 2009 there will be 2 others.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm against reducing the water levels too. Besides eliminating some pretty good fishing, I don't think it will acomplish the goal of eliminating all fish. I don't think they will lower the levels enough to kill the bullheads and carp. Plus, all it will do is reduce water area. Concentrating the ducks even more and reducing hunting spots. Take all the money earmarked for this project and all the "studies" it will take, and buy up every piece of property within half a mile of Pelican lake wet spots, and eliminate motors.

Eliminating fish is not the only objective of the proposed draw-down. It is also to improve the habitat and available food for waterfowl by adding nutirent back into the soil. Pelican is a wildlife lake and will be managed as such. The feds are trying to buy as much of the property as possible around pelican lake. They have just bought 2 parcels of land that will be available for public use in the next 2 years. Landowners aren't always willing to sell though and it would be near impossible to by every piece of property in the area.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.