• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wasted deer

raymondk

i went bird hunting today south of Faribault right next to the road there was a yearling doe laying it really didn't look really beat up so i went up to it somebody gutted it also it looked like somebody washed the cavidy out. what a waste alot of good eating went to waste. i am sure that somebody shot a bigger one and just threw this one out ....

Wow, what a waste. It might just be it fell out or off of a vehicle on their way home after the hunting weekend. At least I hope that's the case. Either way it's a complete shame for such a resourse to end up like that, especially since the new venison donation program this year with the

DNR.

Sandmannd and I went out to Sherburne today and while doing some still hunting, I came across a button buck that someone had shot and left. Upon looking at it and doing some looking around, the (no appropriate word comes to mind) that did this had shot it somewhere on the main trail and drug it about 400 yards into the woods, hoping it wouldn't be found. It had been there at least overnight. If was shot earlier in the day, I would've tagged it myself, but it was obvious that it was dead a while. I have no idea why someone wants to waste a deer, let alone a life. Whoever did this obviously doesn't have the gonads to buck up and take any ribbing he might get from his buddies or whatever else. They shot the deer, they should've tagged it and claimed it like anyone else. Sorry for the rant, it just peeved me really bad when I saw how blatantly wrong this was.

Or could be the CO dumped it off and dragged it further into the woods so the shy coyotys can get to it. It has happen. A place where I hunt has deer carcases dumped all the time. The deer are almost aways 1-4 days old. Mostly bucks with antlers cut off. Before I actually saw who dumped the deer, I had thought someone poached the deer for the antlers and left the body. Come to find out, seen it happen and I asked the CO, it was deer confiscated by the CO's and the antlers were cut off for evidence and the deer was discarded because the body has been 1-4 days old and unsafe to eat. It would be better if they'd atleast not dump it 20' feet from the parking lot. Smells bad when the wind isn't quite blowing right.

Quote:

Was the site tag still on the deer? If so, you could find the guys name right there.

no tag what-so-ever. Following the trail back, it started in the middle of a clear cut, so it wasn't a CO either. Good ideas though. The front leg was shot up pretty badly. some d-bag shot it and drug it so "no one" would find it.

Didnt see a mention of calling the CO here, that may be a good start after what happened to you guys the other day it may be the right thing to do as if someone else finds that deer and your license plate gets attached to another one of thses incidents it isnt going to look so good for you.

the deer I found didn't have a tag on it it looked like it was placed in the roaddich it just was laying to flat to have fell off of a truck . i didn't contact nobody there just wasn't anything for a co. to do no tag and i didnt see who dropped it off..

man i wish i would have seen anything i would take a small doe big doe small buck big buck to get some meat in the freezer and its always a trophy to me. i wonder why people do this. if someone were to come up to me and tell me they shot a doe/buck by mistake or whatever i would gladly spend my tag on it and take it home. mad.gif

Quote:

Didnt see a mention of calling the CO here, that may be a good start after what happened to you guys the other day it may be the right thing to do as if someone else finds that deer and your license plate gets attached to another one of thses incidents it isnt going to look so good for you.

After what happened 2 KF & sandman, I would just stay out of it!!!!!!Hopefully sandman, (after another bad experience) will stay here 2 hunt. frown.gif

FLK,

Thats what I was thinking, good call KF and SM. Stay out of it. I would of hate to hear another story.

I bet the one out at SWR was a lazy hunter who drug off and did not go back for it. Or it was DNR. The yotes around here have the little guy gone by now.

Quote:

Here's what I figured, and I could be wrong on this. With what happened to us on Saturday, I really wanted no part of of it. I didn't see the deer, KF did. He said it was probably shot on Sunday since it was so stiff. Had it been shot closer to when he saw it we would have tagged it, but the meet was no good to anyone. On top of that, we didn't see anyone shoot it so I'm not going to just call a CO and say I saw someone shoot it. It was laying out in the woods, so I'm sure somethings is chowing down on it by now. My thoughts are, I was under investigation for dropping a deer and leaving it. How's it going to look if I call one in and have no idea who shot it. It might be the wrong way to think, but what's the point of calling it in if no one can use the meet? If it could have been cleaned we would have tagged it or called it in to go to a food shelf or something.

That's why I didn't call it in. With the events of Saturday still fresh in our mind as well as not having any info to go on, There's nothing that we could've done short of tagging the deer. The only reason we didn't was I didn't know when it was shot and it had been there for a while and I didn't want to try to figure out how much, if any, meat was still good.

Ya, out of season if I found a shot deer, I would think of calling it in. If it was fresh and I did not tag deer my self, I would call it in. Unless it was some gross violation or something in the act (I would have to see first hand visual of act ). I think you guys did the correct thing. I bet ya Sandmanm did'nt even want to look at the deer, let alone make a call into CO with what just happened last weekend. grin.gif

I guess I didnt think of it from that standpoint, its too bad you guys have been put in that situation where you are not comfortable calling ina violation in fear of being pinned with anothers offense, I think in your shoes I most likely would have done the same.

when I was like 8 yrs old my bor and I were walkign in a ditch on my uncles propetry in the deep snow when we tripped over a log. It was a deer leg. Further inspection reaveled no less then 8 deer dead there. one had antlers cut off. this was thanksgiving weekend and they had been there awhile. My family came to the conclusion that poachers had shot the deer and dumped them there?? the only thing missing from the deer were antlers and the 5 of the deer were does with nothing taken from them. what a waste!