• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Forget the Coyotes, Look Out For the Neighbor Dog

chucker34

Valv, I have enjoyed the conversation, regardless of what you intended to post. Hope that doesn't tee off canocorn. lol. But when you aren't civil, posts get locked and you can't post anymore to make a point or share your opinion, which is the purpose. The point is not to piss people off or insult whomever. I am more of a Miller High Life man anyway. It goes good with dog-saliva laced deer meat. K, hopefully everyone knows that was a joke. grin.gif

Here's a story slightly off topic, but still deals with looking out for neighbors' dogs. I was bit by the neighbor's german shepherd once, and where I live there is a leash law (dog was not a leash and chased me down - gums curled back ready to kill something). Had to have the local animal control officer come, they are suppose to leave the dog alive for 10 days and then are required to have it put down. Well let's see - that was over a year ago and I still see that dog alive and outside today (usually now he is on a leash though - but not always!)

Oh yeah, I should mention one thing about the animal control officer - she just so happens to run the local dog kennel too, so it'd be bad for business to enforce the law.

NOW can we return to the topic? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I grew up in Wisconsin dairy farm country. Farm dogs on every farm, none of them chained up or kenneled. Every farmer knew if his dog ran loose onto a nieghbor's farm it ran the risk of getting shot. In stock country, no one tolerated loose dogs because it's simply in their nature to chase animals.

We have lived with our dogs in the country and in the city, and we don't let them run regardless. In the city, you'll run into trouble from the neighbors, and it's simple courtesy to keep your dogs in your own yard. We have a couple neighbors who let their dogs run all over, and of course they tend to pee on whatever plantings I've just put in and dump loads in our yard, not their home yard.

In the country, letting the dogs run loose is an invitation for deer and other animal chasing. Again, it's just what dogs do. It's also a bad thing to do up here, where wolves do occasionally like their doggy snacks. grin.gif