Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedDog3

How long til Ice Up?

14 posts in this topic

Any predictions as to when the lakes will freeze up in the DL area? And when the first truck will go through the ice? laugh.gif

I was hoping to get out on the ice for Thanksgiving break, but it's not looking good.

Keep draming -- I wish we could have ice by thanksgiving, but that has only happened a couple of years --

My guess is that the first houses will hit Big C on December 20

Good ice is going to take a little while guys. I was fishing over by Park rapids the day before Deer Hunting opener (11/3/07) and the surface water temps were 47-Degrees F. Its gonna take some serious cold weather to drop that water temp enough to freeze hard enough to walk on. My best guess...December 15th for solid walking ice.

This is the era of global warming gentlemen... I am expecting to be out on the open water at least through November this year (maybe even some days in December!!). I was out on Pelcian last Tuesady and the surface temp there was 49.4 degrees... We need lots of cold weather for those temps to go down!!

Bison --

Sad but true. The more you hear about global warming the worse I feel. At least we might have beach-front property some day.

I did notice a pretty good section of the back end of Little Pelican had ice on it this morning. I wouldn't be suprised if we did have some ice by Thanksgiving. We have less daylight (above 32 degrees) than dark (below 32 degrees) so the water might cool quickly. Also, the daytime highs haven't been too high to re-warm the water each day. Couple of cold, calm nights might work.

the old rearing ponds at work were froze over for most of yesterday and all of today. that has made me more optimistic about ice on the big water; I was figuring early December, but we may be close to normal, if it doesn't get too outrageously hot after this weekend.

I hope we get ice early, but I am with you guys -- It might be late.

Abbey Lake was froze over this morning, and I watched 4 otters having a great time running and sliding on the ice! There was a little open water in spots on the north end, and the divers were doing their best to fill every inch of open water....ice is coming...maybe 3 more weeks til guys walk out.

the north west side of Sallie was iced over this morning, as well as most of st. clair. Hopefully the warmup at the beginning of next week doesn't push things back to far.

Last year I was out on the 2nd of December on about 3 inches. I am hoping to be out Thanksgiving and I don't think that is too far off as long as the weather cooperates. These days with no wind help a lot. Deadhead, please keep us posted on the ice conditions.

Many of the small ponds in the Hawley wood area had snow on them Friday morning.

Keep your fingers crossed.

After an uneventful morning of hunting, I went to Lizzie (just happened to have the boat along). Got only one northern and missed a few bites. Water temperature was 38-39 degrees.

C--

Hitting that 30s mark will help -- Ice is just around the bend.