• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Migration

So where does everyone think we are at with the migration? We are in the midst of the first real prolonged cold snap and are in the second day of strong NW winds. I have not seen an influx of ducks near the Mississippi in the east metro over the last day or two. Last hunted on 10/31 and had a good mallard hunt. Wouldn't say they were local ducks, but probably not Canadian migrants yet either. Are the ponds and potholes ready to freeze up north? We are down to just the last couple weeks for the push. What's everyone else seeing?

I hunted the NE Metro and drove around quite a bit over the last 3 days. Only got 2 Goldeneyes. I've seen several smaller sloughs with buffleheads on them and some goldeneyes on some bigger water. Found one decent raft of bluebills but nothing to get me excited. I was on big Marine yesterday and saw very few ducks. The wind made for a really wet boatride!

I was out this morning in Otter Tail County. I saw one drake mallard. That's it! Not another bird in the sky! I'm depressed.

I hunted here in the east metro on saturday. I had one of the best field shoot ever for mallards and geese. Well the geese are always around, but I must have had 50 ducks decoy. All I had out for duck decoys was a robo duck, after we shot our limit of geese

I think the next few days we will see some new birds as temps will be in the low 20's in parts of Canada...(crossing fingers)

I hope you're right. The metro temps are pretty moderate through 11/20 on Accuweather. Warming through the weekend then gradually cooling back to the 40s. No major swings, but then again, they can't predict the next day either. A good Canadian snowstorm would be nice as well to cover the fields up.

Seeing a ton of geese in NW metro. I would think the 10 minutes of snow flurries, overnight freezing temps, and strong northern winds would push a few birds down....I have thought wrong b4.

Quote:

I hunted here in the east metro on saturday. I had one of the best field shoot ever for mallards and geese. Well the geese are always around, but I must have had 50 ducks decoy. All I had out for duck decoys was a robo duck, after we shot our limit of geese

Jimmy, are you hunting area near cottage grove? private area? I am in Newport and .....

My guess is that the most of the divers have came and gone or are here right now. Now we wait for the late mallards and geese. This is cold but not that cold. Until the bigger water freezes up north and the snow covers food, the mallards will only continue to trickle. Which is perfect. We should have a good November on Tap. Hopefully it gets really cold, right before thanksgiving!!

four of us hunted the mississippi south of the cities yesterday and got 16 mallards. They were larger flocks and northern birds. Today, two of us got three birds and saw few flying. What a difference a day makes. We started seeing the birds flying around 9:30 am on monday right in front of that cold front. Im going to try it again in the morning in hopes that some birds were tailing the cold front. I love this time of year grin.gif

LovenLifeGuy

I'M SURE THIS WEEKEND WILL SHOW A FEW MORE #'S THERE ARE STILL A FEW DIVER'S IN THE AREA TO SHOOT AT MOST OF WICH ARE BUFFLEHEADS A FEW CANS AND BILLS THERE HAS BEEN QUITE A LOT OF REDHEADS THAT HAVE COME AND GONE. OR A LEAST I DIDN'T SEE ANY LAST WEEKEND BUT THAT WAS MOST OF WHAT WE SEE THE WEEKEND PRIOR TO LAST

the goose numbers in the central part of the state are quite poor--need some migrants to move in bigtime, which I expect will happen in the next couple weeks

ringers have already pushed through, as have the majority of the cans and redheads...if freeze up comes shortly after this next little mild snap of weather in the 40s then the buffies and goldeneyes will be upon us. I've heard reports of many of them in the Park Rapids area this past weekend.

Mallard numbers improved nicely with this cold snap, but I think they are just starting to trickle down from Canada. It is going to have to freeze up there tight before the big push of new mallards arrives.

Hoping we get a nice sustained, consistent freeze up over the next 3 weeks so all the birds don't either push through really fast or don't show up until the season is over. It would be nice if it got really cold before Tgiving so we could shoot some ducks in the fields, because everyone knows that once it snows and gets really cold around here the birds start stacking up in town on the river (Sartell, St. Cloud) and the field action gets hot. Typical late goose season when you're watching flocks of mallards bomb into the dekes but the season is closed.

Good luck to everyone for the remainder! WE are the true duck hunters, that is for sure.

Lots of Coots, Buffs, mergansers and Goldeneyes on Lake Bemidji today. Tells me 2 things....the birds are comming and the small water is freezing in the area.

Quote:

I hunt out in Lake Elmo just south of 36

Can I ask private or public --if you do not mind sharing.

sg60000@ hotmail. com

Quote:

Quote:

I hunt out in Lake Elmo just south of 36

Can I ask private or public --if you do not mind sharing.

Are you hunting Lake Elmo (the lake?) If you don't mind sharing as well. (ducks.spammike (at) spamgourmet.com) I still trying to find worthwhile spots to hit for quick hunting outings before work.

I went down to Spring Lake this morning and was disappointed to not see much flying. I thought there would be more with this cold spell. Also, it seemed like a tough lake to hunt (or at least find a good place to setup a blind).

I was thinking of trying North Lake or Big Marine this weekend. Anyone have any reports from there?

My brother went to Big M on monday... dead sea. I think they saw two goldeneye total... ugh.

I got two bluebills (one lost), one redhead and three buffle heads today. The buffle heads were still coming into the decoys when I was picking up to head to work. I was hunting a bit west of the metro. I did not see a lot but the birds I saw decoyed well. I shot well today and only missed one redhead.

Still found few birds flying this morning, but did manage to shoot my four mallards. Got them right away as all came in as 4 pairs with one hen and a drake. Took the drake out on each pair and called it a morning. Did not hear much shooting and again did not see any large flocks. Looks like warmer weather coming so we may have to wait for a push. Grilling todays birds up right now. They smell good wink.gif

I hunt some private land. My uncle has a 150 acre farm out in that area. It is mostly corn fields, with a small pond, and a little 15 acre lake.

I posted a note this morning, but I need to mention again what I have been seeing. Large rafts of Buffs, Goldeneyes, Coots and Mergansers are all over the lake. Little specs of white bobbing all over the place. Looks great...may have to ditch the deer rifle for the shotgun again.

Do you guys ever shoot any blue bills here in the metro area? I don't think I have ever seen any around. Actually I have never shot one, so I probably don't even know what they look like. I have only seen pictures.

The mallards are really starting to stack up in the river bottoms in the sw metro. I saw close to 2000(no BS) total while I deer hunted this evening. From 3 to sunset they were coming out continuously directly overhead treetops in small to medium flocks. When I left my stand they all went back to the bottoms in a couple large groups. It was more ducks than I saw in NoDak 3 weeks ago. I know were I will be on sat morning with a robo after deer hunting is done!

jeff

Quote:

The mallards are really starting to stack up in the river bottoms in the sw metro. I saw close to 2000(no BS) total while I deer hunted this evening. From 3 to sunset they were coming out continuously directly overhead treetops in small to medium flocks. When I left my stand they all went back to the bottoms in a couple large groups. It was more ducks than I saw in NoDak 3 weeks ago. I know were I will be on sat morning with a robo after deer hunting is done!

jeff

The heck with deer hunting, go for the surething!!

We saw bluebills last weekend hunting just west of the cities. Had flocks of 6, 12, 24+ buzzing us but only one flock fully committed. Poor shooting resulted in only one drake. I was excited none the less - I had never shot a bluebill, and up to that point I had only shot 5 other ducks this season (in about 5 trips).

I shot two lesser Bluebills (I lost one) yesturday in the west metro. I hope I get more of them this year. The green color on their head is beautiful. I shot two greater bluebills on the same lake last year on 11/16 so I hope I can get more later this year.