Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xplorer

Agnes/Lac la Croix

4 posts in this topic

Ok, so I know that the last thing on most folks mind is a summer fishing trip, but my brother and I are trying to finally plan a BWCA trip togther. 4 days have been set aside the first week of June, and we're looking at going into Agnes/Boulder Bay/Tiger Bay area. Plan on being at Nina Moose entry at dawn.

I've gone back into the archives here and read everything, but wondered if anyone has been there the last couple years. Any info would be appreciated. We may have a group of up to 6 total.

Favorite campsites, paddling/route info, general fishing info for that time of year. Noone in the group has ever been on this route, and from what i can tell they aren't the best group of anglers (not that I am, but this group spent 6 days fishing in Quetico the first week of June last year and did not catch a single walleye. I would imagine you'd have to try really hard to do that blush.gif)

Also, is it worth it to try and take in a portable locator at that time of year? I am thinking i will take in a handheld gps for sure.

Thanks.....OK, its back to 'if its brown its down" cool.gif

It's been more than a couple of years (maybe five or six) but have been through there with a large group (kids included). It's an intermediate route - from Agnes to Lac LaCroix several short portages. There is one campsite almost straight across from the last portage onto LaCroix, and another down the shoreline towards the east (again on the far shoreline) that are both good, especially for large parties. Mostly northerns and bass in this part of the lake. That early, however, could be walleyes scattered throughout. They'll be traveling from spawning areas. Don't think a depth finder would be a necessity that time of year - I'd troll shorelines and points until I found some concentrations. Lots of photo opportunities on that part of the lake as well. Good luck!

I was there this spring.

check out www.(Contact Us Please) for more information about this area than you can shake a stick at.

you can also read trip reports. I have one on my trip to the area.

chadwick,

Funny thing, just before i saw your post I had read your trip report and a couple more from prior years on there. I'd like to hear a bit more about the route and the sites on both Agnes and LLC if you wouldnt mind. Mail me at cedland99 at hotmail if you'd be willing to.

Obviously this is a short 4 day trip, our plan is to be at a site on either agnes, boulder or tiger bay by noon. We'd be traveling light, single portaging, and leaving the entry at first light. The group (with the possible exception of me grin.gif) are pretty strong paddlers. Is it realistic to get to Tiger by noon if need be?

I'm an 'eye guy also, sounds like this area is OK for eye's but more pike/smallie water. I'll have 2.5 days to figure them out.

Thanks chadwick and finnbay, appreciate it!