• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buck grunting?

Shack

What do you guys say about grunting for bucks or does.

Should you use a short blast of air in caller with it tucked into your chest?

How many grunts would you do at a time?

How often? Once and hour, twice an hour?

This is the grunt caller I am useing. I have had it since i was 13 and never realy used it.

-m7igM3fQydg-tc5GNuBJpYdD6TguhRD0300.jpg

Shack i grunt in combo with bleats and rattling, although haven't rattled this year keep forgetting those antlers! anyway i use a bleat can 3 times, then i do a short grunt, and another longer grunt. Other than that, i use the grunt to stop a deer, or get them to turn.

Thanks,

This the first year I have been in a situation where I have wanted to call deer in.

I keep my self from getting out of stand and pushing deer. I am set up in an area, where I would like to have deer come to me. They are there and if the wind is right, I feel for once in my life, calling or luring a deer is the best option.

The land I am hunting it limited in bucks, but there is a couple big bucks in area (I have not seen them yet).

I would like to call or get one of them out of there night stalking. With a wind friendly day and then right lure, I feel I could get one of these bucks out in the open to harvest it. Then get a good mount for the foyer.

I always harvest deer for the meat, but after 18 years of meat harvesting, I am ready for a trophy.

The more I think of harvesting a trophy, the more it seems it will not happen. But, if it does not happen, there is always next year.

I have a ton of antlers! It is amazing how many people do not claim their antlers after shooting a deer.

When I stared at the Nowthen Meat Market, skinning deer, I got many sets of deer antlers.

I have got a mean set of mule deer antlers.

I will think of bringing this with me next time.

The only thing I second guess on this, is the fact of a limited amount of bucks in the area. Will rattling help, or will the does know something is up and other bucks.

OR! Will it bring them in for a closed look?

i will tell you this, i have had bucks come in so mad the hair was standing up on the back of the neck, snorting, wheezing, grunting, pawing the ground, when rattling. Sometimes it does not work. but if you don't try you will never know. I never rattle or call the first 45-60 min of light unless I see the deer, and am trying to bring them closer, or get them to stop. I have been using a scent by James Valley this year, it has worked in the fact that it gets deer to stop where I place it. I have done some pretty extensive research at deer farms with calling. Laugh if you will, but there they are behind the high fence, so i just get hid in some brush, and start making calls to see what the bucks react to. They almost always come check out a snort, or short grunt, and 60% will come investigate an estrous bleat. these could be skewed as they are penned deer, but what the heck they are easier to find and study !

Deanob,

Good advice! I will get myself a doe bleat tomorrow also.

I think what you have said it great. Thanks for the help.

Way to be a great F.M.er!

I spend a lot of time at local deer ranch. I have never thought about bringing a call with me.

Thanks

no problem, I am no expert but i spend a great deal of time in the woods from september 1 - end of november and even in to december. I love watching deer movement, even if it from the car watching fields, figuring out what times they move from the woods to a field, do they emerge from creek bottoms, or just a random spot in the woods? Patterning them is tough, but after a few years you can almost pinpoint what the deer in a given section will do. I think they are fantastic creatures, and enjoy hunting for them. It is actually an obsession, thankfully my wife understands, and my sons love going "looking for deer" although with the time change we have lost that hour + after work. good luck I hope you successfully call that big one in just note too i like the early morning, like first 30 minutes of light for mature bucks, they seem to be heading to the bedding area at this time, and i usually get out at least an hour before sunrise, sitting in the dark is cold and boring, but when the 12 point steps out 5 min into legal shooting time, it will all be worth it! good luck to you, I sincerly hope you get the sights on him.

DEANO, good idea on going to a deer farm and trying out grunting and rattling!!! Now I'm trying to thing where there is one around here, lots of elk farms but not many deer farms.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.