Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeTC

New to trapping

3 posts in this topic

I plan to start trapping this year for the first time and I have a few questions. First off what do I need to do to an animal after I trap it in order to get paid for it? Will I have to do anything more than skinning the animal before I sell it? Also after reading the regulations I was somewhat confused when they talked about registeriung furbearers. Do all animals need to be registered or just certain ones? I plan on trying to trap beavers, mink and coons if that helps you answer my question.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, you need to find someone to pal around with, just to get you started. There are alot of things, too many to mention here, to get you off and running. After you catch an animal, you will skin it, and the stretch and dry it. If you catch Bobcats, fisher, marten, and or otters, these critters have to be registered. The beaver, muskrats, coon, mink, fox, both red and grey, coyotes, skunks and badgers do not have to be registered. Good luck, welcome to the trapping world.

leechmann is right. my uncles trap have the fur shed. Catch, skin, scrape, stretch, dry, sell. I don't trap but sometime i go run the trapline with my uncles. I hunt yotes, though and last 2 years i have skinned, scrapped and sold the fur raw to a well known trapping supplier/buyer in Owatonna, MN mostly because i can't get down to the fur shed, but i think i have come out better as they still have furs waiting to be sold. If you want info on the MN Trappers Association let me know, 3 of my uncles are very involved, although they live down here in Southern MN.