• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wyoming/Montana Trip

PT73

Planning on going out west next September, hiring a guide for 1-2 days, then venture out on our own for the remainder of the time. Can anyone recommend a guide service, outfitter, or an area to concentrate on?. Thanks

I love the Big Horn! There is an outfit you can contact out there called Cottonwood Camp, near Port Smith. The guy that runs the fly shop is Thor, and he has a couple of guides that work for him. The two that I met seemed very nice and knew every hole in the river. One of them, I want to say Brad, has a phtograph of a monster salmon from new zealand on the wall. One of the biggest they'd ever seen come out of there.

Hope that helps.

-Critter

what kind of fishing are you hoping to do? Saying you want to go to WY/MT is kind of like saying "I want to buy a car." I don't mean to criticize but try to narrow it down:

rivers or lakes?

if rivers, big rivers or small streams?

easy access or backcountry?

wade or float?

dry flys or streamers?

stuff like that

Would like to stick to the rivers out there. Would like to take a day float trip with a guide, then rent a boat and go it alone. I wouldn't mind a drift/wade combo trip either. We will be going in late August/early September, plan to carry both a dry fly setup, and a nymphing rig. What have you guys experienced out there?