• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

albino deer shot up north

smilee_54

I was looking at the news today and an albino deer was shot up north. Here is the website [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] I thought it was illegal to shoot and albino deer

I thought it was illegal to shoot and albino deer

It is I think, plus wanting to sell it?

I could be wrong, but a buck is a buck. You get one in the cross hairs, pull the trigger.

I am going over regs right now to see if it is illegal or not.

Every time a big buck is shot there is always speculation on if a store or magazine is going to pay for the story and the mount.

It is not illegal in MN to shoot an Albino Deer!

why is it people are always killing threads, do some research before you start questioning the illegality of a situation.

Quote:

why is it people are always killing threads, do some research before you start questioning the illegality of a situation.

How am I killing a thread? I didnt think it was legal, either did the guy who posted it! I didnt say it was illegal! I just said I didnt think it was, I hunt Wisconsin so where I hunt it is illegal.

Last time I checked this story was not in Wisconsin. I should add I am a little salty this morning... It does bother me though when people are always looking for violations in every posting. Than the originator needs to explain why it wasn't illegal...Just never ends. Sorry if I offended you.

I think he means you are killing this thread, because your responce was not that aggresive grin.gif. The more aggresive responces keep threads rolling for ever crazy.gif.

I thought you had good questions! They were questions and that is what this site is for, to ask questions and get answers .

I think comments like

Quote:

kill more threads than any other comment out there.

We can agree to disagree than. Recently there was a posting about a woman being circled by a big cat, that discussion became more about whether or not she should have been hunting with a crossbow than about the cat. It happens all the time.

Was not sure about that myself, I believe there was regs put in about "white" bears a few years back? May have been a temperary regulation. They saw one up by Orr at the bear preserve up there. Not sure it it is law or not? 10 years ago.

if you notice the wording in this post it say thought in the comment it does not say it is. the change of one word would of changed the situation sutty. How come it seems that everytime someone post on this website someone steals the thread or just bashes it

I see you point on the Cougar thread!

I see two kinds of threads that invoke two different kinds of replies by my self.

The cougar story was a fellow F.M.er who posted a thread post about a personal situation in his life. That’s were I will post a "that’s to bad", or "Great story" and leave it at that. Itry not cut down or question a fellow F.M.er, or stop questioning when some one hones into a thread that has a personal stake in the story.

Now when there is a post with a link to another story about a person who has nothing to do with F.M. and there is a questionable story or story line with questions added to it, ask away, question away. That’s how I see it.

Plus this thread has the question asked in the opening post.

I also didn't notice that the question was part of the original post. My bad. Certainly this is a website that is a great place to go for questions, since it was a question from the original poster I was the pain in the butt on this thread.

On other threads though when it is not part of the original post I stand by my opinion.

Ok no offense taken, but back to the story. It would be very exciting to see an albino deer when in the woods, I am happy she seen it, good for her that she got a buck!

Now I personally dont agree with shooting an albino deer, I myself wouldnt have, but since it is legal in MN, that is cool with me. Congrats at getting a once in a life time deer to her!

That's a rare treat to get an albino. I'd put a picture on my wall and sell the hide and rack in a heartbeat. That is if my arrow went through the vitals!

My buddy that lives by Warroad area said that a guy up there shot an Albino deer. It was a yearling and he is getting a full body mount which I think is pretty cool idea.....but expensive!!!

Now I'm not tryn 2 "kill the thread" by going kinda off topic, but if an albino deer mates, what are the chances of making more albinoes?

I do not know the answer to your question but I can tell you that the area I took the photo has produced quite a few albino’s, so I am guessing it can pass at a higher percentage than some would think…

albinodeertn1.jpg

Albinism is a recessive allele, both parents have to carry it. That area has a high allele frequency for this genetic disorder. At one time there was a buck with this defect, probably bred a lot of does, giving the offspring the gene. The following year, if he bread any of his "daughters, they both would carry, or if any of his sons bred any of their "half sister" they would have a about a 25 percent chance of having an albino.

I may have missed the location. Where was this albino deer shot up north? Reason I ask is I saw one on Saturday. Was the cooliest thing I ever seen. Was running through the woods when one of our guys kicked it up on his way in to camp to warm up. We are located north of Williams up near Baudette. Hope it's still out in the woods as a return trip is already planned!! wink.gif

Quote:

It's not illegal in Minnesota. It is in Wisconsin.

Correct. Albino, white, and piebald deer are all legal in Minnesota. Just about every year there's someone in the legislature that proposes protecting them. Who knows what the future will bring.

It's the human way of thinking stupid. Protect the defect and weak and not the healthy and strong. Nature way of eliminating what's not supposed to be. In albinism, nature chose white so predators can pinpoint and eliminate the defect quicker. Only human chooses to oppose natures way. As unique as it is, we must learn to resist the urge to protect what nature don't want.

Color sorta matches the button I saw at Father Hennepin park last Nov, but who knows, there was allot of cars going through that day to see the Doe and little one, everyone that sees the pics asks if I shot it or says they are illegal to shoot.

bino.jpg

The cause of Full Albinism, which is a lack of coloration, (All white and light colored eyes), is a lack of color producing Melanin Pigmentation, which is itself caused by a nonfunctioning TYR Gene, which normally produces Tyrosinase and Melanin Pigmentation.

These nonfunctioning, or in the case of Partial Albinos, partially functioning TYR Genes, are considerd Recessive and not Dominant, or Normal, as they do not Normally Dominate within the Species, and become apparent only when the animal has two of the these Genes.

The Offspring has to Inherit one completly Non-Functioning, TYR/Recessive Gene from each Parent to become Full Albino.

In Albino Variants/Partial Albinos... either the TYR Gene only partially works/leaks, or other genes that complete the Melanin production are not working...

96trigger is correct in his example of One Parent carrying Both the Dominant/Normal working TYR Gene, and the Recessive/Albino non working TYR Gene...if the Other Parent carries one of the Dominant and one of the Recessive TYR Genes also...this should result in a 25% occurrence of Albino, and 75% Occurrence of a Normal colored Deer....

If One Parent is Albino, they have two Recessive TYR Genes, and if they mate with A Non-Albino that has one Recessive TYR, and one Dominant TYR Gene...then the percentages for the Offspring to be either Albino or Normal, is 50%.

If both Parents are Albino, they both have two of the Recessive/Albino TYR Genes and no Dominant/Normal TYR Genes, and the resulting Offspring should be Albino 100% of the time...and then of course if their Offspring successfully only mate with each other, or other 2 Recessive Gene Critters they should always produce Albinos...just like White Bunnies with Pink or Blue eyes...at the Pet Store. ooo.gif

If either a Full Albino (2 Recessive TYR Genes), or a Carrier (One Recessive and one Normal TYR Gene), mate with another that has only 2 Normal TYR Genes, then no Full Albinos should result...though Partials could still result if there is problem with Melanin production completion...

Mice have 100 known Genes that can affect Partial Albinism and I have no idea what the theoretical Scientific Percentages of that occurring are... wink.gif