• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saturday 11-3-07...fish for yourself!

minnesotatuff

i write this post with some embarrassment/regret/anger. its after 2:00 and im typing this instead of still up at mille lacs fishing. sure this is the time to catch the big walleyes. and, sure there are guys doing it, but to expect that...well, theres something wrong with that mentallity. i really want to get that big one this fall and could of stayed fishing all night. you have to fish to catch! the difference between myself and the person with was he expected to catch a lot of fish...was not prepared for clothing after many warnings, and had a preconceived notion that he wanted to quit as soon as 10:00 and didnt tell me. i made a comment to him about being able to stay in the boat, two days ago...

it was really beautiful out there tonight. tight to the west side it was like glass. the lights from shore looked cool reflecting off the water. of course the lake was as black as it gets. i saw one star for a brief instant. i tried a small deep diving jointed perch shad rap that i ground down the bill on a little to keep it a little shallower...got 2 perch and a 25" northern on it. i got it back in the water as quick as i could...the guy with wished i would of kept it for him. he caught a 21-1/2" walleye on a 11(?) jointed rapala, black & gold w/white strip on bottom. that was the only walleye in the boat this trip...we each tried 3 different kinds of lures.

i also found the rocks out on indian point coming from the west along side the island, past the rock pile while staying west...but not far enough. lucky there wasnt much wind or it could of been a pretty messy situation. i think all is ok. there werent any visible dings on the hull and the motor & prop are fine. gotta love those stainless steel props! tomorrow when i clean the boat we'll see...

with everything that happened, i still really enjoyed being on the water of mille lacs. just being there is almost spiritual.

the moral of the story...fish for yourself.

regards,

minnesotatuff

ps, it was a shared expenses trip from my place in st paul, my truck, my boat. the only thing he paid was the launch fee...

I hear ya I go out with some of my buddies casting skis and after a hour they want 2 go in!!! Then they cry about not getting fish drives me nuts!!!!

Its better than ice fishing, ya!

I am deer hunting now, but would die to freeze on the pond. I have a line of buddies who have freezed with me on the pond and have been calling me to go.

I do not take anyone who would complain, minus my kids!

If you need someone new who doesn't complain and loves to fish, and needs to gain experience at Mille Lacs call.

John at 641-420-5366.

No problems paying my fair share. North Central Iowa

MC, welcome to FM!

I'm always ready to hop in and fish all night when time allows.

I've run into this same problem... Guys don't bring the right gear even though you tell them.

Luckily for me, I'm a clothes horse when it comes to outdoor gear. And my boat comes with a spacious dry locker...

Many are the times when I've pulled something out, tossed it at someone and said "Put this on... We're going to try over there!"

By now I've screened out the people who are faint of heart!

LOL!

"Here ,throw this on !" -I love that Line. I always Keeep an extra duck coat in dry storage also..

My Buddys that don’t get out much use do the same thing to me -They would Show up at the Landing with a windbreaker and a 6 Pack then whine when it gets a little slow and chilly. Now That my Boy is 9 yrs old I dont have that problem anymore-Great thread

i look at it as extreme outdoor adventure... its so nice when you can find someone prepared and self-sufficient. i have a few things in the boat too, but having a good fishing buddy not only adds to the potential of really catching fish by not being a distraction, it allows trying more baits/techniques. knowing the drill saves time when the fish are biting. and, has proved its value in certain stressful situations.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Same here, shoot me an email the next time you need someone to share the expense with, I usually fish alone for the same reasons noted above, well maybe I just like to fish more than others, gotta love the night trolling, my friends thought I fell off the deep end when I explained my full moon trolling trip I took at the end of October.

Last year on full moon we had a group of three boats go up to ML. One of the other boats had a guy with jeans, long johns and maybe a winbreaker/light jacket. They were out there for about an hour and a half and had to head in because the guys was so cold. Always gotta go out there prepared for the worst, you can always take layers off when you get out there if you don't need them.