• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My first opener ever!!! & Do you think I got a bad CO?

Sandmannd

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe we could fire all the CO's and then see what type of game and fish would be left to hunt and fish.

I'm not saying that all CO's are great at talking with sportsmen but how many do you think have been lied to a million times? How many people do you think treat the CO's like cr ap? They are also human and can only take so much from the sportmen that are always lying and cheating and stealing our resourse.

They have a job to do and we want them to do it. Now, just maybe he was screemed at and treated very poorly by the person he dealt with right before he stopped you. he is suppose to just forget about all that has happened and come on over just a smillin.

I think before we judge him so harshly, we do need to know the whole story and I'm betting not one single person does.

Doesnt matter. COs are supposed to be professional its THEIR JOB.

That CO was unprofessional, so you could say that he wasnt doing his job.

Quote:

I support CO's in general 100%, but to be unaware of the orange law and also the muzzleloader law, in my opinion, is not good.

More unprofessionalism. At the VERY least COs should know the rule book inside and out, backwards and forward...ITS THEIR JOB to know it, otherwise they cannot and should not be in the field enforcing the rules. Plain and Simple.

Well Said SledNeck!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grant Pearson

• Sandmannd

• Steve Foss

• Shack

Top Posters In This Topic

As a supervisor in Law Enforcement, feedback (both positive and negative) regarding our officers actions are always welcome and valuable in evaluating our employees. The investigative response by an individual officer most times is not observed by a supervisor. Maybe the CO just had a bad day, and needs to realize that he can't take it out on the next encounter, or maybe it is part of a larger problem that needs to be addressed by supervisors. Equally, if you have a very good encounter with a CO, I would encourage you to also call it in. How are the supervisors to know how their CO's are doing if no one tells them the good or bad. Either way, I am happy to see that a TIP call was followed up on, and if it was the "attitude" of the CO that caused problems by all means file a complaint with the supervisor. Maybe the CO will learn from any mistakes made, and in turn will become more effective the next time. In short, don't give up the hunt, it sounds as if you are true sportsmen.

Thank you Folk, your points are well taken. I've never had an issue like this with law enforcement but I think it needs to be addressed. I also call when I get service for anything and let people know when there employees do good. I had air conditioner service this summer and the guy that came out got it working, then went and closed all my windows for me. He also said my two dogs looked really hot so he gave them some more cooler water and a treat (I had told him where we kept them) and also pet them for a few minutes. This to me was awesome so I called his supervisor and told him about it. He said it was nice to hear someone did good. Like I said, this guy doesn't need to be fired, maybe just talked to and told not to take things out on people and not to assume they are guilty. I more want to know if anything will happen to the folks that reported it. Thanks Googleeyes for the kind words. You are correct, we both respect the land and what it offers and we have total respect for law enforcement.

I am under the impression that most CO's, at least the ones I know, are outdoorsmen themselves. So I don't think they would be trying to turn anyone off to the outdoors. It sounds like this guy had some issue, young and dumb, Momma's with the mailman, not enough sleep the list is endless. It was a bad experience. Most of the time when you either are or apear to be on the wrong side of the law the experience is not good. Personaly it bothers anyone to have thier word questioned esspecially over and over again. I would take it as an experience and charge on there is still plenty of season and deer left. Life is too short to let this CO ruin more than that day. I look forward to hearing about you going out and getting your first deer.

googleeye: thanks for the kind words. It means a lot.

Folk: I agree with you. Like I said before, Sandmannd and I aren't mad that we got stopped by the CO following up on a complaint. I was glad to see him on that aspect of it. I'm glad that he was following up on a tip that he received. What my issue was (as well as Sandmannd's) was the way he presented himself and his attitude. Even after finding out that he had the wrong guys, he continued badgering us. That's why I called his supervisor. I 100% back them up and know how though it is to work Law Enforcement, especially as a CO, being understaffed and all, but if it wasn't for sportsmen like all of us, that CO wouldn't even have a job. Our licenses provide the majority of the funds for his paychecks. The least he could've done was show a little respect. It's kind of sad as well when you know the law a little better than the officer grilling you. Maybe he should pick up the regs booklet and go through it a little better.

As far as what I wanted to happen, it's in motion to happen. Whatever else happens because of it, is out of my hands.

Quote:

My question for those who disagree with what the CO did is, "What should he have done differently?"

Not even knowing the law would be my main beef. Telling him his muzzleloader is loaded when there is no cap/primer on it???!!! Giving him a warning ticket for not enough orange when he has the legal minimum or morw on???!!!

Tactics sounded a little over the top too and didn't really seem to be based upon much credible info, particularly since he had another truck in the area to check too (meaning someone apparently based the whole complaint on where their vehicle was, not anything they'd actually seen). Obviously he didn't really have anything on these guys. Investigate and check thoroughly, but don't harass and berate them for a continued period of time like he seemingly did...that's my only concern and I think the original guys said they agreed he should have checked like we all have. It was just too much...

Quote:

How much orange do you have to have on in your truck? I sometimes take some off for comfort between places.

I thought this also, I just didnt want to get in the middle of things, I am glad you guys reported him, it may have been a bad day or whatever, but thats no reason to make you have a bad day! In the end, you may just save someone else from getting this attitude from the co.

I often don't wear any orange in my vehicle. Since it's illegal for me to hunt from a vehicle, I'd have a lot to say to a CO who wanted to ticket me for not wearing orange as I'm driving between hunting spots.

It's not clear the CO in question in this thread didn't know the regs. He might have known them quite well but ignored them so he could keep badgering the guys. Lots of possibilities here.

I'm not going to say names, but as far as him knowing the laws, he VERY WELL SHOULD HAVE!! The CO that stopped us was a Lt., so there's no reason for him not to know the regs, even if he was a rookie.

here's my take:

The CO saw a wounded deer run across the road, away from where you were hunting. He watched to see if someone was tracking. No one was tracking. So now, he is questioning everyone in the immediate area, to see who shot it.

He knows the rules, he was just checking to see what your knowledge of the rules is. My bet is, most people who know the rule book, abide by the rules. Those who don't know the rules are more often the rule breakers. So he was just checking to see if you've read the regs.

How could someone have had your license number? If they were in the woods to see you shoot a doe, they would have to watch to see if you collected it, then would have to follow you out and get your plate number. If no one followed you out, no one has your plate number.

My bet is, there was no witness with your plate number. In fact, no one gave him your plate number at all!

He pulled your plate when he pulled up behind you. No one ID'd you, no one gave him a plate number. He saw an untracked wounded deer, and was grasping at straws. He's going to give the same story to the next guy.

That must be why they call you analyzer, cool.gif. That's a good take since he said he was going to check the next truck coming out and that would make sense. The thing I thought was the group we saw coming out heard a shot and though we dropped something and they saw us coming out. In reality there was a shot about 5 minutes before we came out of the woods. A guy dropped a doe and was getting ready to gut, that's what we saw from the road anyway.

Having over 20 years of Law Enforcement experience I have come to realize something. There is a certain percentage of complaints that we take that are falsley reported for one reason or another. Law enforcement has to remember that when they confront the alledged suspects.I have found that it is more productive to treat people like I would want to be treated. Even if they are truly guilty. Otherwise over time you will lose all credibility with the public. If this CO handles all of his investigations like this he will not be very effective. He may need you for something in the future and cause of his behavior you may not be willing to help him out.

maybe just by chance the people that reported and id'd you are liable. thought it was a doe, but maybe they realized it was just a fawn, and wanted nothing to do with it, cause they probably only had one tag. falsifying a report may have made them think they were in the clear.

Hey KF can you email me the name of the CO also what county you 2 were hunting in?

Since you wont post the CO's name on here, i have a relative that is a CO and may be able to shed light on the situation...

[email protected]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm going to lock this thread now. If Sandmannd wants to update us later then I'll open it back up for him to do that.