Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Hunting under Docks (1 pic)

8 posts in this topic

It’s about that time of year when some start getting the itch to get out on the ICE. There’s a gap in our fishing calendar where perhaps we’ve put the long rods away, but the ice is not safe quite yet. This time of year presents us with a unique opportunity.

The Mississippi River has dozens of marinas where they leave the docks in the water year round. All these marinas are private property and some are totally off limits to fishing, but others open their docks to us anglers. Please check with your destined marina and get permission prior to utilizing their docks.

Die-hard ice anglers (like myself) take this opportunity to do some vertical fishing off the docks. The key here is ice fishing equipment. Short rods and electronics often times will outfish the long rod approach. Use your ice electronics to find a pod of fish, then go after them just as you would through the ice.

Key areas to pay attention to would be sun/shade lines, dock posts, dropoffs, tie-down ropes, and dock anchors. It’s important to be mobile and trust your electronics. If it’s not showing any fish, move, move, move.

My ice electronics are being charged as I type and my short rods are going to get the once over tonight. As your waiting for the ice to firm up, give this marina dock fishing a shot. It’s a hoot!

ty_crappie2.jpg

The marCUM is charging right now also. See you tomorrow, Tyler.

I took some of my own advice and hit-up one of my favorite marinas on the Miss River on Tuesday morning. The fish were literally everywhere. I probably check over 30 different spots and I marked fish and caught fish at each. It took a while to find some larger fish, but they were around.

A Custom Jigs & Spins diamond jig (Gold #12) tipped with a waxie was the only thing I used and I probably caught 75 gills, 15 crappies, and 1 small sauger. Between the 3 of us, we also added a white bass and a pike to the mix. Additional tackle that was productive was the CS&J ratso and a Rapala Jiggin Rap (smallest size).

The temps were cold, but the fishing was hot. Everything was released to swim again, but we easily could have kept a meal each of crappies and gills.

Crappieguy had the hot had with this dandy crappie (~13”)

eric_crappie1.jpg

And he scored this pike (quite a feat on 2lb test line and a trout net)

eric_pike2.jpg

It wasn’t my day for the monsters, but I did land some respectable fish.

gill1.jpg

ty_crappie1.jpg

nice pics, that pike on 2 lb test is awsome!

happy birthday smg

i saw on another site you killed some dandy bucks

ike

thanks ike, yeah i'm pretty proud of those 2 bucks(maybe a little to proud), i've posted pics just about everywhere, haha smirk.gif

Good idea Tyler. Nice fish and gets the blood pumping looking at these images.

Cool! cool.gif

The marina's were cool about it, you could even drag an otter out on docks on the cold days. grin.gif