• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Set up for spearfishing!!!!!!!

Agronomist_at_IA

Got all of my stuff bought for spear fishing. I only bought one spearfish decoy, which is a perch decoy. Do you guys think I need or should have more then one decoy? Starting to think a spare wouldn't be bad. Is there much diffrence in the colors & styles when trying to decoy the fish in.

If I were you I'd get a couple more. You probably don't NEED them but sometimes it seems like the fish like certain decoys better then others. Get some different color styles. Not only that but changing decoys once in awhile and watching them swim differently keeps you more focused and gives you something to do. Just my opinion though.

I'd recommend to get at least 3-4 decoys of different color patterns. Sometimes a change of color or size will bring some action. Red/white is popular with good reason. Yellow/gold is my go-to through 40 years of spearing. After you spear a few years, you will begin to recognize what color patterns work on specific lakes. Also, most importantly, you will develop confidence in them. Good luck.

red & white is the best route to go in my opinion. one that swims slow, that way those nords can really zero in on it and scare the bejesus out of ya. i also like a green/orange floresent color thats shaped like a little nord.

Yes I would have a spare,what are you going to do when a big gator screams in,grabs your decoy and leaves takeing your one and only decoy and all the line you have on your rig with him?? confused.gifconfused.gifIt only takes a split moment and its all over but the shakeing!Trust me it happens!! You want to be prepared!!

Pike is right. There is going ot be tons of times that your going to get a pike that comes in so fast, and grabs and takes everything but the house. Its awesome to see it, but not when they take your awesome decoy. Need the spear.

LMAO!! [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] I've never lost any decoys due to any northerns flying in and grabbing them.

i use mono last year from my reel to my decoy, and them mono from my decoy to my live decoy. I dont like to use the black line.

Well I ordered 2 more decoys and another spear for my friends to use when we go. The only other decoys I could find to buy was a yellow/green decoy, and then a pike decoy. All the red and white decoys where sold out. frown.gif Sucks when the ice isn't even here yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think pike are very curious and have had them come into about everything. The idea that white/red work the best goes back to the fact that those guys if asked would say they only use red and white for the whole season so logically red/white works, I have used small pike I have made one pike that is 18 inches and then hooked the sucker harness to the front so when the sucker moves my 18" decoy will follow, I have used perch, sunfish crappis, carved a shiner decoy and everything, I have had them come in gigging 2 spoons hooked together(hooks removed) and the disko ball.... I borrowed an Christmas Orneament off the tree added some weight and spin it in hole, others have painted golf balls half white/black, I have heard them coming into pop cans tied to a string. If they are active I have them come in after my toy poodle grin.gifgrin.gif no just kidding I say throw everything down there that you can. But remember just enjoy decoying them there is nothing more of a rush than having them fly in yes they fly in grin.gifgrin.gif

I have used many colors, and still do, but red/white continuously gets the most fish.

Smashed pop cans do work too. Or, take a Dardevle and remove the hook. Put in on a jigging stick and drop it in you hole every 20 minutes or so and play it. This really brings the northerns in. I flip the spoon a few times, and pull it out. 10 seconds later, the northern is in...now looking at your decoy.

I used to think the same, color and shape make no difference because pike will hit anything. When open water fishing though if I tie on a red and white spinner or troll with a red and white rapala it seems like the likelihood of me hooking a pike more then doubles so IMO there is something with red and white that triggers pike.

I was always told that red/white simulate an "easy meal" as it is a injured and bleeding fish.

Even a non-hungry fish can't pass it up. Kind of like that piece of pie after the Thanksgiving meal. grin.gif

Quote:

I was always told that red/white simulate an "easy meal" as it is a injured and bleeding fish.

grin.gif

Very Very True.