• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I THINK I GOT HIM

96trigger

The big guy I have been after took a pass through double lung at 6:00 p.m. tonight. Going out to look at 9:00. He went twenty yards, wobbled, then took off. I figure thats a good sign. I hope to be back tomorrow with the story.

If it was indeed double lungs he's yours no problemo. Congrats and post the story and pics!

Hey 96,

Knowing from your past posts the last year or two, you worked hard for and deserve a nice bow kill.

We want pics too!

Hopefully you are wrapping your hands around a nice set of antlers right about now or sometime tonight. Sounds like it will be meat in the freezer to me smile.gif Post the pics when you get the chance. Congrats!

He didn't go far. It only took a couple of minutes to find him, he had good blood. I wasn't one of the guys that helped me look said that his last minute sprint was his "death rush" and he was right. He only went about 50 yards. Let me tell you, he is a pig. I took today off to try and bow hunt before firearm opener. I posted previously about having a dead stand, but I knew bucks were in the area, so after some thought this morning, I decided it was time to take unconventional measures. I moved my stand 100 yards down the woods on the other side of the ravine. I knew that deer were out there because they were always there when I walked back to my truck. I had it all in place by 2:00 this afternoon.

I got back out in the stand at about 3:45. Half way up the stand, I see a smaller buck run away, he was bedded down 30 yards from the stand. I didn't take this for a very good sign. at 5:30, a lone doe walks up from behind me, she won't go into the field by my stand, she knows something is up. I'm thinking another bad sign. Anyway, I sit tight. At 5:45, another small buck, probably the same one as before, busts me before he gets to the field. I think I must stick out like a sore thumb so I just sit back down and realize that I can't stand. At 5:50 4 does walk by me on my right side, I'm right handed, no shot, but I think that if I can get them to the field, at least they will be there as decoys. They go through no problem. I have one pain in the but doe that stands 20 yards, in my shooting lane, right in front of the stand. She knows something is different but can't put her hoof on it. Anyway, she's just standing ther and I hear another deer on coming behind me. Still, I just sit tight and hope to God that it comes on my left side and not the right. I can hear the deer directly behind me, he walks a little further and I can now see horns, definite shooter, I guit looking at horns and focus on the deer. I pick my tree out that I will draw when he walks behind, he's almost there and I draw, he stops short of the tree, I think I'm busted but I hold the draw, he takes a few more steps forward and clears the tree. I let the arrow fly and see it hit right behind the shoulder blade, just above the scapula. An almost perfect shot. At the angle, I figured it was a double lung and that it was dead deer, the hard part would be finding him. Fortunately, that wasn't hard. He didn't go far. It is the biggest deer I have ever shot, and maybe ever will. I'm still wired because of it. After missing a big deer last year and having it sit in my belly for 12 months, some vindication feels great. It green scored 168, but took a major digger when he ran away, he split his nose wide open, I did the best to clean up the blood, but half his nose is falling off so don't hold it against me. He isn't very wide, but he is high and the pics don't do his mass justice.

100_0904.jpg

96trigger, Nice buck and great story! Glad to hear you got the monkey off your back! Good luck with the rest of your season.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

wow---pigzilla!!! nice deer!... thanks for sharing the story and the picts!

Very nice deer and the story also. Way to go by waiting to track him later and not push him. In this case you probably could have went after him shortly but one never knows.

It is very hard to wait for hours to find a trophy like yours.

I call “Fake”!!!

From the blur on the bow string to the distorted bulge in 96trigs pants pocket! It all adds up to a 4 point buck, photo shopped into a 11 pointer!

LOL, just kidding! Nice deer dude! grin.gif

Honestly, I didn't know he was that big, I just new that he was a shooter, after that, it was all focus on making a good shot. After looking at it, the shot was perfect. Seeing an arrow do a pass through and having the buck not know what happened was quite possibly one of the greates thrills I have ever had.

The last 2 years I've put in a considerable amount of time into bow hunting. I like to hunt everything and sometimes it got hard when the geese were flying over to be sitting in a stand, but the one thing that I have never gotten in all my years hunting was a nice buck. It was one on my list of things to do before I die. I can check it off now. Man it feels good. grin.gif

Shak, I was waiting for someone to say that, to be honest, if it wouldn't have been late in the evening, I thought about doing some photoshop to a pic as a joke to see if anyone caught on.

Attaway 96 - Congrats! That's great to hear you got em... I've been following your previous posts about the spot and to decoy or not... how the stand went dead... and now success! Way to be persistant...

I went up to our property wednesday night for one final chance before guns and saw the buck I was after... had him coming at me at 35 yds thinking about who I was gonna call first... and then felt the wind switch at the back of my neck and that was it... No Halloween buck for me this year but it sure was fun trying...

Nice work - what did he weigh?

Yeah, I'm ecstatic about moving the stand, I figured it would either be make or break but the wind was perfect. we haven't weighed him yet, we are going to do that tonight. He's kinda funny looking. He isn't long, and he isn't tall. He looks like crossbreed between an Angus and a Deer. He was thick and his neck is short and huge, the guy was just a stud. No doubt about it.

This is one very nice buck by bow or gun. One should be very happy as I'm sure you are. Again, very nice trophy. cool.gif

Short and fat eh? Just like the SoDak deer... We hunted Sand Lake a few years ago and shot a buck like that... real short torso but fat! Swollen neck and the most tallow I've ever seen on a deer especially for November! I love moving stands arounds... probably too much. I'll sit one night see the majority of deer travelling through at 50 yds so the next night I'll move my climber over that way and you know the rest... They'll come out where I was the night before!

Awesome, awesome deer! This is a completely random observation, but I think you spend your money properly - You've got a Mathews in your hand, yet duct tape patching up your jacket! smile.gif

He's now at the Taxidermist and about to go in the freezer. He field dressed at 192lbs. Not a big deer for the size of the rack, but he didn't have any fat on him. I should get the mount back by the whitetail classic in Owatonna this spring, you will get a chance to see him there if you go.

BTW, the tape is a clear patch, I got sick of all the little down feathers floating all over the place. But yeah, it does make my priorites look like they are in the right place. I love my Matthews, first year hunting with it, first deer with it. I'm saying its good luck.