Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodmaker

Anybody been Trolling Cranks on Farm???

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has been trolling Cranks for Eyes on Farm Lake in Ely.

I've been trolling cranks on Burntside for walleye or northern 4 times in the last 2 weeks.

Only one rotten bass, in 49 feet of water. mad.gif

I know they do well on Farm this time of the year. The reef out there is a good spot.

Yea about six weeks ago. Trolling reef runners on the west side of the lake. Various colors with no success. Discovered some interesting fishing spots working that part of the lake which were tried with live bait. The bay south of the boy scout camp had structure next to deep water. Fished that as we were marking fish on the graph. Nice sized perch but no walleye.

Dave

That is another good spot also for trolling Shad raps and Husky Jerks

rodmaker

Maybe trolling Farm lake on a normal year.

Water is very high & water temps are higher than they should be due to the amount of water in the lakes.

Highest water levels I have ever seen in my life. shocked.gif

Kiss many docks goodbye next spring! frown.gif

It sure would be nice if that was the case on Mille lacs.

Have you had success other years???

Not much in the fall.

I only fish Burntside, and everything drops down to 40+feet when the water gets into the mid to upper 50's.

Bass, northern always caught in over 40, never caught a walleye later than September 20th, and that one was in 27 feet. Nice fish though, just shy of 10 lbs.

GO,

Sounds like alot of lakes are hot with the Fall bite right now...Vermillion, Kab/Nam, Rainy to name a few. Duluth area lakes seem to be slow, sounds like Ely lakes are also. How can the fishing be that different? these lakes are not that far apart.

I know the guide who works out of Timbertrail Lodge does well trolling cranks on Farm.

Seems like anywhere there is current, people are doing okay. No whitefish in the currents yet, which chases out the walleye for some reason.

Not much action around here where there isn't any moving water.

You'll most likely never see another year like this in your lifetime (water temps this high this late, water this high in the fall, etc)

Strange year confused.gif

Last few years have been wierd.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• TNtoMN_HuntFish
      I really hope they don't screw this place up. I love it out there and have done a lot of hunting there. I sure wish there were fewer horse trails. It shouldn't be so easy for hunters to access all the woods. That makes it harder to get away from the guys who want to hunt no more than 50 yds from a gravel road.    The dunes seems like a pretty special place to me. DNR does a lot of things that leave is scratching our heads, let's hope they manage this place properly. 
      Im staying at Arrowwood July 2-5 and looking to catch some 'eyes for a fish fry or 2. Never been to the area before so I dont have much to go by other than my overall knowledge of Walleye fishing elsewhere. Ill probably be fishing early mornings and dusk for obvious reasons, but also because my boat will be used for the majority of the days for entertaining the girlfriends family. Im open to fishing not only Darling, but Carlos and Le Homme Dieu as well. 

From what ive read and can see on Google Earth, the lakes are pretty clear, and from experience, usually means tough walleye fishing for this time of year. -I grew up fishing Woman Lake in the Longville/Hackensack area and that lake is as clear as they come. The only way we can snag some 'eyes in the summer is to fish the deep weed lines. Is that the approach I should be taking on these lakes? Does dragging rapalas across mid-lake flats produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin.
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Ha, I've read stories about that lake being filthy. And I know about those warnings on the link you posted I just wonder if this stuff is blown out of proportion. Reason being I can't find any confirmed cases of people having mercury poisoning from eating freshwater fish. I know mercury poisoning does exist but can we really get it from fish? You'd think if we could then there would be cases down south where folks are eating catfish from the Mississippi.    We ate a few 30+" Pike during the ice season, I ate more than my wife, and I only did that from lakes that are safer according to DNR and MDH fish tissue surveys. I kept it to once a week for her and I ate the rest. I went over the one meal a week rule several times for myself, but then went a while without taking home fish while the season was closed. I'm not glowing yet haha.    I also don't understand why walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat per those surveys when Pike are above them on the food chain. 
    • h8go4s
      Surely they have a Terrova on the floor. Doesn't matter what size THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. Also, boat dealers have showrooms with all kinds of stuff mounted on boats.
    • BringAnExtension
    • monstermoose78
      Stopped in this morning and it looks like it should be good to go. 
    • ZachD
      http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/fish/eating/kidmom/index.html
    • ZachD
      The Rum has been dropping in flow and water level since the 20th from St Francis down if that helps    
    • ZachD
    • CaptJohnWis
      Fishing awful this morning. Launched at 8:30. By 12:30 had exactly two small pike. Finally found some walleyes and ended up with 22 fish - NO BASS! bummer. Water cold - only 61-64 degrees. Weather man blew it again. Walleyes in about 20 FOW, best lure Lunker City Fin-S-Fish.   New camera worked well but had troubles with new sonar/GPS. Think I got it fixed once home.   Here is today's video: June 26 video