Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neth

Looking to buy good auger need help

16 posts in this topic

I want to buy a power auger for this winters fishing. I have a few questions I need answered before I go out and buy one.

What brands/models are people liking the most?

Any horror stories/ things I should not buy?

Any features that are extra helpful?

I was looking at buying a used auger via CL I went to look at half a dozen or so and most of what people were selling were junk. Now I have spent probably $100 on gas. I can't figure out why I would want to spend $250-$300 bucks for something that was not taken care of when I can buy brand new for not much more! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Take a look at the ones Paul Waldowski is selling in the for sale forums. He has five in their I think and you can be assured he has taken good care of his gear. He has a bunch of Jiffys in their.

Tom

I have an Eskimo Shark z51. It sports the Tecumseh motors which I recommend. But then again its up to you, i bought mine last year and i havent had a problem with it yet! although some guys dont like the eskimos, the price is just right! Got mine at Joe's for $279 last year. After the whole summer in the garage i started my auger the other day, started on the first pull. my 3 cents grin.gifsmile.gif

Uhhh, the Eskimo line of augers have Ardisam motors, as far as I know. The current SM and Jiffy's have Tecumseh's, though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any of the 3 will do a great job, along with most everyone's favorite (but a more expensive choice): the NilsMaster. Personally, I have a SM Mag2000 8" with an additional 8" Lazer auger shaft. I have no brand loyalty, as the price was right on this setup: 2hp SM head and 2 auger shafts for $250.00.

I have the Strikemaster Lazermag. I paid $275 for it new.

Paul Waldowski of Sunset Bay resort has several Jiffy's with different levels of experience for sale in the for sale area. Paul is a top notch guy and I would buy from him if I needed one.

I really don't think there would be too much difference as long as you keep the blades sharp. I was out last year and am pretty sure a guy used a whole tank of gas drilling 2 holes. I think that any of them made nowadays will do what you need them to. Personally I have an older Stikemaster, I change the blades every year and haven't had any problems at all. I usually drill on average 10-15 holes everytime out.

I vote for `NILS'.. FAST.. SMOOTH.. LIGHT WIEGHT. A little more money,but WELL worth it.

i'm with mcgurk on the sm mag 2000. cheap, light, DEPENDABLE!

Strikemaster 2hp Lazer Mag express all the way with a 9" bit. Stay away from the 3hp Jiffys,

yep, 3hp jiffys tend to be cold blooded. takes a while to warm them up. then, if you don't foul a plug from having to prime them, you can drill a hole. but, gave mine to grandpa, and he hasn't had a problem with it.

Give Denny a call at Trails End Bass Pro in Fridley. They are located 1/2 a block south of Osborne Road and Highway 65. I bouth a 10 9inch Lazer I am real happy with from him 2 years ago. Phone number for Trails End Bass Pro is 763-784-9080. Good Luck!

I vote for the SM Mag2000-I've had mine for 7 years and have had no problems it fires right up every winter, parts are easy to get off SM's web site and through tecumseh dealer ships!

hey does any one know where i could get a good manual ice auger sharpening or new blades?

Quote:

hey does any one know where i could get a good manual ice auger sharpening or new blades?

What auger? I have seen replacement blades for a lot of hand augers at most sporting goods stores (Fleet Farm, Gander, etc).

yea thats what i thought but was just making sure thank you

There is a bait shop on hwy #13 IN PRIOR lAKE that will LET YOU EXCHANGE the old blades for resharpend ones. Reasonable price also..Not sure of the address,but it is on the right side as you come from the north just before you enter the town.........