Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Uran

Processed deer weight

5 posts in this topic

I'm not much to bring in deer to get processed but the woman wants me to this year so I HAVE TO!!!!!!! But I wanted to ask how much a typical deer weighs after processing. He's adding 1/3 pork so I'm trying to guesstimate the cost. I'm planning on bringing in maybe a 3 year old doe. Any ideas or tip would be great.

Sounds like you asking how much ground venison you'll have. It depends on how much you grind. Not trying to be funny here but there are many that grind the entire deer as well as those that don't.

I have never really paid that much attention so does this sound about right? I usually figured about a quarter of dressed weight will be ground meat if you process taking steaks, roasts, and the like. So a dressed deer that weighs about 170# might yield about 45# of ground venison give or take. But like I said, it really depends on how you process your deer.

Bob

I had a chart in the deer processing post I had going a while back! I will bump it up for this weekend!

If you can not find it in that post, I copied it for ya!

Live Weight, Field Dressed, yield of meat

100lbs= 80lbs= 45lbs

150lbs= 125lbs= 68lbs

200lbs= 160lbs= 84lbs

BobT is very close!

Thank you fella's that was very helpful.