Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outdoor ran

sleepers and kids?

6 posts in this topic

A little bit of ice in the marsh the other day got me thinking about ice fishing. My wife and I want to rent a sleeper somewhere for us and the kids. I would like to rent one on Red Lake so the kids have a good chance of catching a couple of slab crappies so I can make some replicas for them. A family in a portable wouldn't work so I want to get a sleeper.

My question is- Does anyone know of any kid safe sleepers on Red Lake? I've heard stories of cold cracks, bad heaters, no lights. I would like to find a sleeper thats warm, safe and knowing were all going to wake up in the morning. Guess I'm a little over protective with the kids. Can a 5yr old and 7yr old have fun in a sleeper or should I wait till there older and just stick with bringing them for day trips in the portable?

thanks for any advice

There are some very nice sleepers on red lake. There are some that rent very nice wheel houses. Start calling around you'll be surprised at how many places rent up there now. Taking the kids shouldn't be a problem. Check out the upper red lake site.

Find something as soon as humanly possible!!! That lake is a zoo...so, the nicest sleepers to rent are already being booked. I would talk to Kelly Petrowske over at the Waskish Minnow Station.

Justin

You'll want to rent a sleeper that has a vented heater, is clean, set up on fish, and from someone who will come around to check up on you and the house. If that person feels that his reputation based on the above and also wants you and your family to have a good time and also catch fish and will do what it takes to do that all the better.

Kelly(Waskish Minnow Station) will do all that. Being a life long resident and working on Red Lake, he knows his stuff. There are other good sleeper rental companies on Red. IMO, Kelly has set the bar when it comes to sleeper rentals and getting on crappies on Red. He'll also have the plow trucks that'll be getting that road open when it blows shut. He books up fast for a reason so you should have gotten your reservation in yesterday.

Check any of the LOTW ones also

I took my kids to a sleeper last year for the first time. They were 9 and 7 then. We stayed for 2 nights on LOW. When they got bored during the day they ran around outside the house and I would let them know when I had a fish on and they would run it to reel it in. When the fish quit biting at dark we played games and cooked dinner until bedtime. They liked it so much they had me take them a 2nd time last year and liked that one too.

This year I am taking them to upper red lake and they are both excited. They actually like sleepers for 2 days more than boat fishing for 2 hours!