Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R. Miller

Sportdog 1850

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with this collar? I was just reading about it in the new Pointing Dog Journal and it looks pretty nice. Does anyone have any experience with the built in hawk call that's supposed to stop running birds? Does it sound authentic?

Sorry...I don't have any experience with the beeper, but I have owned the Sportdog 1800 for 3 years now and it has worked flawlessly. I've been very happy with it and will definitely buy another when the time comes. I'd be interested in hearing if the hawk call works myself.

No experience with Sportdog collars but don't concern yourself with the hawk call. It's overrated. Very few people I've run across actually think it makes a difference. The best way to stop running birds is to approach them as quietly as possible.

I also have the 1800. The first one I got was in an opened package and, of course, they said it was fine.

Well I returned that one and the new one works great.

maybe I should have waited for the 1850 -- that sounds cool.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know what you mean about being quiet. I'm still hunting with my 13 year old brittany this year. She's been deaf for about two years now, but knows hand signals very well. I don't have to say a peep out in the field, and you can certainly tell the difference between that and being very vocal with your voice and whistles.

My buddy was out at my hunting shack over pheasant opener and started reading ROOSTER!, which I have out there on the coffee table. I guess he read somewhere in there about the "hawk call" to stop running birds. And then not even a week later I read that that was a feature on the new sportdog 1850. Just thought it was interesting. I've got a 15 week old English Setter and I'm just thinking about what kind of collar to pick up by sometime next spring. Overall, it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with sportdog, but I don't really have a lot of knowledge on any e collar brands, other that what a few friends have recommended.