Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tippman

Grouse numbers down? (pic)

10 posts in this topic

The second time I've hit this spot by Park Rapids. Both times I've limited. Took these in 2 hrs of hunting alone without a dog.

I do believe that grouse numbers are down though in many areas of the state.

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

Tippman!

Great score! you are a better shot than me! I should of had my limit the other day, but only scored one!

I am going out again in that area in the next couple of days! I hope to scope a limit up for dinner! grin.gif

How were the deer ticks?

Pulled a few ticks off me. It happened to be an "on" day for me with the shotgun.

Great job. The bird in the middle sure has different colored tail feathers than the rest

Yep those red phased grouse are much more common when I hunt around central Mn. The further north you go seems to be more grey phase. I did shoot one my first time out that was very interesting and I wish I would have mounted. Instead of the black crest they all have around the neck it was a bright rusty red color, much brighter then the middle birds tail. Then his tail had a very unique color pattern with red tips where the black usually is. Thought it would have been neat to get him, and each a grey and red phase mounted on a log together.

Those birds with the copper or chocolate subterminal band sure are pretty aren't they? I've got one mounted, and it sure is neat. There are something like 58 different color phases to ruffies, and they're each beautiful in their own way! And you're correct about the gray phase birds being more prominent up North. The red phase is from warmer climates.

Congrats on the birds! If you ever want to get out around Park again, let me know, as I'm hunting the area every week.

Here's a picture of what Tippman's talking about, middle bird...

threeroughzy1.jpg

I shoot as many reds as grays up on the Iron Range....may not be far enough north. Ive shot tons of the copper ones like in the picture also.

Infact I think we got more reds than grays this year by far.

SD530510.jpg

g5.jpg

2-1.jpg

5.jpg

on second thought, maybe I havent shot a gray yet!

I live up north and went through all my pics and all the birds are gray. This is interesting, I have never really paid very much attention to their color I thought they were all gray.

There are reds and grays and many blends of gray/red colors in between.

Take a look at the birds you take. It is fun to see the differences in color variations.

Shot one of those copper ones once. Even the ruffs were copper. Sure wish I would have mounted that one.