Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Musky_Madness

Mansion on Pelican Lake

24 posts in this topic

I was up fishing on Pelican at the end of September and noticed the out of place unusually large compound on Pelican Lake. Anyone know who owns the place on the point?

Ya big place, his last name is Barry. If I remember right he spent about 18 millon to build it. In the main house the whole top floor is the master bedroom. It is something to see. Can really only see it from the lake.

Yeah I was there fishing on July night when they were having a big party there. Looked like there were a lot of good-looking gals.

Thought about putting up the pirate flag and grabbing a couple of them ... Then I got a bite and forgot about it. wink.gif

I hear the DNR fined him a big amount -- like $50,000 for building too close to the water and he asked them if a check would be ok. He wrote it out right there on the spot.

Yikes.

I counted some 25 chimneys on that bad boy at one point...

hmmmm, a pirate flag.....that's a good idea, I never thought of that. I should get me one of those. grin.gif

Got a little captain in you?

wink.gif

He used to own Sun Country Airlines, so I hear. I also know he paid to divert the road away from his property to give him more cushion from it. I also hear he spent over a quarter million on just windows. I wouldn't mind living in his guest house!

The company I work for did the wood floors in that house. The numbers I heard was that it was closer to the 9 million mark. We put in a 50,000 dollar walnut floor.

John Berry (sp?) when he fishes Pelican he has Brad Laabs guide him on the lake he owns :S...Brad said he started Sun Country then sold out about 10 yrs ago. Also heard he is donating it to Concordia so they can have another Music Camp or International Camp for the summer

I heard, owned some banks, bought Airline, sold airline, bout another bank. Lives in Mlps.

A buddy of mine owned a big tub of a houseboat a couple years ago and his thing to say was, Ol Barry is gonna have to spend some money cause he had the biggest boat on the lake!!! Even tho it was the biggest barge on the lake it prob was the biggest piece of scrap too. When it did run, He would lite up a stogie and drive by the mansion and think he was something

I tell you guys -- there are few places better than the sand of the mansion late at night in the summertime.

We should thank him, I would guess he had the sand brought in. confused.gif

My mothers maiden name was Berry. My Grandfather lost touch with his family. ???????? confused.gif??????

"Cousin, I am so glad to finaly meet you!" cool.gif

If life was that easy!

Don't know for sure, but I heard he pays no property taxes on the property because he willed it to Concordia.

one intersting detail about the property is that there is 40,000 sq feet of living space. I some people who did some work there.

A combination of Sun Country Air and Banks. In 1998 B. John Barry sold his 68 Banks to Norwest for a reported $350-400 million. When Norwest and Wells merged a couple of years later He bought back some of the Banks where the two companies overlapped i.e. Phoenix. Mr. Barry lives in Scottsdale.

Sumander, you are right on with the banks and the airline. I guess he actually ran the airline into the ground. My grandma was actually his neightbor when he had a bigf old house on Summit ave st. Paul.

I dont know if I believe the Concordia donation stuff. How could they possibly afford the up keep. It would be pretty worthless to them. A friend of mine hand laid the stone walkways. had to do it like 3 times. said that even went over a few hundered thouw. I was there one day and actually fell into a sand bunker. Who doesnt have a few golf holes at the cabin.

I wish I had that kind of coin. cool.gif

I'll own that place someday...

GF --

Whatever you are smokin -- share with the class.

wink.gifcool.gif

That sharing is how I make my $$$$... cool.gif

Remember... pimpin ain't easy

Gah - the mansion. I call it "The Temple of Conspicuous Consumption." All I can see is what that point used to look like. It's a sad deal. I hate the thing. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but every time I drive by it, I find myself pondering what life would be like if owning rocket launchers were legal...

RK

Robb --

Very interesting idea ...

GF --

Would you happen to have an air sickness bag near you, I think I am going to be sick.

grin.gif