• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Let Torii go?

schweady

We'll know in a couple of weeks how serious the Twins are about keeping Hunter. He wasted no time in filing for free agency and MN has just 15 days of exclusive negotiations with him until he can play the field, so to speak.

So long, Spidey... we'll see you when the Skankees come to town...

Twins have seriously got to start paying these guys some money. confused.gif

With the new stadium on the horizon, its now or never. But I probably don't think like a businessman responsible for putting fans in the seats and a winning team on the field, if I did, I could be the president of the Twins organization.

Twins just picked up Nathan's option worth 6 million next year. Is it a sign of what's coming, or a sign of what's coming?

Twins have to sign him. he is our only protection for the M-M boys...If we don't we are going to score about half of the runs we scored this year and we were HORRIBLE this year!

I would almost rather see them trade Johan and keep Torii instead of the other way around. In trading Johan at least we should get 2-3 starters in return. We lose Torii we get nothing in return. In any event it is going to be an interesting offseason for the Twins...

I would bet he is gone...how can the Twins match salaries on the free agent market from teams like the Mets, Yankees ect. I have to beleive he will be the best free agent in the pool? And will get alot of attention.

I would like to see the Twins sign Torii, and Johan. Or Sign Torii, trade Johan and get A-rod, or a good bat. We have some good young pitchers that can help us, if we could score more then 2 runs a game.

If they dont sign Hunter, or Santana, you could bet the dome would be pretty empty, and I am sure even the Pohlads know that!

An interview last week made it sound like he wasn't going to consider any Twins offer until they showed a commitment to improve in several areas. That's fine but it sounds more like he's looking to get a contract for longer than experts may project he's worth.

Someone in another thread said, "B.S. walks." I'll go with that, too.

He is testing the market. We can't blame him for that. He has only made upwards of 75 million off the Twins. It is imperative that he gets tons more so that he can afford to buy his kids potatoes to eat for supper.

In all seriousness, he is as good as gone if he hasn't been signed by now. Someone will offer him a deal at 5 years 80 million dollars. The only reason I see him returning to the Twins would be a chance at winning. Texas, Washington, those types of teams have the funds, but have zero chance of winning. We will see if he is really about winning or dollars signs and big markets. I will guess that latter, but you never know.

1999 $200,000

2000 $225,000

2001 $230,000

2002 $2,400,000

2003 $4,750,000

2004 $6,500,000

2005 $8,000,000

2006 $10,750,000

2007 $12,000,000

Huh... I wish I could make 60 times as much as I did 9 years ago, and say it just isnt enough!!!

I believe Hunter has already made up his mind to move on. Look for him to sign a 5-6 year contract for $70-80 million. The bidders will be Yankees, Mets, Braves, Rangers, Dodgers, Angels, all big budget teams with pressing needs in centerfield. The White Sox might be a sleeper in this as well.

This team would be nuts to let Hunter go. There is NOTHING in the minors as far as hitters and we need to add two more decent bats not subtract one.

I think the only way to be competitive in the next three years is to trade Santana, sign hunter and hope for the best.

I know, but if they brought in A-rod that would answer our need of a 3rd basemen smirk.gif , then if they signed Hunter, and Santana, and Justin, we would have a chance!

Alright I know it would never happen, but they do need to do something, if they dont they wont sell any tickets, and I think they know that! Atleast I hope they do confused.gif

Get rid of 'em. He filed for free agency for a reason. Let's see who we can get for Santana and maybe we could replace his bat. It's impossible to replace his glove. It's time to move on and start over again basically. The Twins of the early 2000's are long gone and it's time to find a new batch of players that get 'er done.

It's pretty clear we are not going to give Tori Hunter 70 MILLION DOLLARS guaranteed.... and frankly I agree with it.

Sorry... grin.gif

Quote:

An interview last week made it sound like he wasn't going to consider any Twins offer until they showed a commitment to improve in several areas.

I think IFallsRon has it right. Doesn't matter if the Twins try to throw money at Hunter - he wants to WIN.

After the Castilo debacle this summer, Johan & Torii feel that the Twins aren't committed to doing what needs to be done to field a winning team. Whether you agree with them or not, that's how they feel, & why I'd bet neither of them will be Twins at the start of the 2009 season.

Winning...or taking a "home-town" discount. Tough choice? Nope. I hope, really hope I'm wrong, but they're both gone as far as I can see.

The Castillo debacle...LOL.

So Tori wants to win huh... 4 division title's in 5 years wasn't winning?

In a nutshell Tori wants his Money.

The twins aren't "letting him go" he decides where he's going, and it will be to the highest bidder.The twins just will not be able offer the most $, nor should they. Take that money and invest in 3b and a replacement CF and hope they pan out.

Baseball players are way over paid! The league needs to put a dollar cap on how much any team can spend in a year.

In my mind you should be able to hire 20 guys to play baseball for under 30 million a year confused.gif . If they dont get a cap, soon there will be less teams, then the skanky yankees just might have a chance grin.gif

Torii is gone. The Twins haven't really tossed another offer at him. He wants 5 years, Twins offered what, 3??? Bye bye Torii. Hate to see the dude go. He covered a TON of real estate in center field. Look for his next home field to be Fenway.

Instead of spending time, effort, and $$$ on someone who is gone, spend it on keeping Cy-Young Santana and a POWER HITTER.

Who's stats compare to Hunter:

...........G.....AB.....R.....H....2B..3B..HR..RBI..TB....BB..SO..SB..CS..OBP..SLG..AVG

Hunter 1234 4492 672 1218 259 26 192 711 2105 319 870 126 60 .324 .469 .271

Ex-Twin 1260 4478 617 1255 253 18 164 623 2036 300 923 82 44 .329 .455 .280

Yes, his stats and Kirbys stats are very similar. They are both great C-fielders. The thing is he doesn't want to be a Twin anymore, so he's gone. Bye-bye, thanks for the memories, it was great to have you.

Fight the fights you have a chance of winning. Re-sign Santana and get more talent.

Quote:

Who's stats compare to Hunter:

...........G.....AB.....R.....H....2B..3B..HR..RBI..TB....BB..SO..SB..CS..OBP..SLG..AVG

Hunter 1234 4492 672 1218 259 26 192 711 2105 319 870 126 60 .324 .469 .271

Ex-Twin 1260 4478 617 1255 253 18 164 623 2036 300 923 82 44 .329 .455 .280

If Jacque Jones would not have hit .249 and .254 his last 2 years with the Twins he may still be a Twin... grin.gif

Pretty sure JJ ain't making 75 mill for 5 years guaranteed starting at the age of 33 like Hunter will be.

His leadership compared to Torri is not the same. Torii is this generations Kirby. Can't let him go. He is the face of the Twins smirk.gif

Bye bye Torii. I do hate to see him go, but with our current situation he's gone. Maybe if we had let Nathan go, we might have been able to scrap it together for next year. But it would have caused more problems down the road contract wise.

I will miss him though. There's nothing more satisfying than watching him steal home runs away from opposing batters. I was at a game a couple years back where his glove was a couple of feet above the wall, and robbed a HR. The fans were on their feet screaming for what seemed to be 5 minutes. Electrifying.

You guys do know that Jones made it to the playoffs this year.

Now, as to Mr. Tori,talking with the WSox??? Say it ain't so!