Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
winterse

Water Temps on the Gunflint?

9 posts in this topic

I am headed up to Grand Marais for a little deer/grouse hunting and was thinking of pulling the boat up since the weather has been so warm. I won't be up until the 10th. I am hoping that some one may be able to tell me what the water temperature is up the trail. Will the lakes still be wide open?

Thanks,

WINTERSE

I'm guessing the temps will be in the low 40s some of the bigger lakes should still be open. This is all a guess you know.

I know. I am trying to determine if it is worth it to spend the money to pull the boat up or if it is a futile effort. I would like to pull in a couple walleyes before the water gets hard.

Me too!

Gunflint,

Do you have any late season suggestions up the trail for eyes? I have traditionally fished walleyes closer to Grand Marais in lakes such as Deer Yard, Pike, Devils Track and Elbow. I have focused on trout when I go up the trail. With your vast knowledge of the trail are there any lakes that I should be considering further up for walleyes?

How about Big Sag wink.gif

I agree. If I had the time and weather I'd hit Sag. Deep structure and mid lake humps with big minnows is how I'd try it.

Gunflint,

Remember when I was up your way end of Sept. I mentioned I was heading down to Arkansas in Oct. Just got back yesterday. I bring this up as you metioned once to me that you at one time had given Arkansas a thought as to a get away from the winters up on the trail. Being the youngster that you are I know this would be quite a few years away. Well water temps. were upper 60s dropping into the mid 60s during the week I fished. Fished De Gray, Quachita and Greers Fairy.Never caught a walleye. Trolled deep shallow and in between with cracks.Used jiging spoons quite abit too. Lost alot of cracks to tree tops. An example, Im in 60 feet of water and can cast to the treetops sticking above the surface. Water levels were down 10 feet or so. Amazing dropoffs, kind of like the south side of the south bay of the lake your on. Another local told me the walleye can start spwaning on Greers Fairy as early as late Dec. Now that your an experienced crappie fisherman you and others will get a kick out of this. Caught a 13 inch crappie trolling a # 11 taildancer down 25 feet in about 40 feet of water.Even the locals were surprised by that.I hope this is allowed to be posted, I know its not on fishing in Mn, but I know some, Northlander among them, would get a kick out of that crappie-taildancer hookup.Nice country down there, but it can"t compare with the area your at.

Panhead its ok to post reports no matter where they are from. Man those crappies will hit some crazy stuff at times.