• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Public Land Permanent Deer Stands?

Shack

I know this is another call to the local CO question, but I have noticed a larger number of permanent deer stands going up on State forest and other public lands!

I have not heard of any law changes, but I have seen 3 newly constructed deer stands on Wild Life refuge, countess old stands that someone could use and one deer ladder stand on state forest land with no one in it (could have gone in for lunch).

What does one do when they encounter these stands? Do you do nothing, like I do? Do you tear down, like someone had done to a newly constructed one I had seen on a recent

grouse hunting trip? Do you call local CO and inform him/her of stand?

Also I wonder what would happen if CO caught someone sitting in a permanent stand

on public land during gun opener? What would you say to someone sitting in a permanent stand on public land during hunting season, if you came across someone!

I am not sure of whether or not one can construct a permanent stand in state land. However, permanent or portable, if the stand is left out and unused at the time you see it there, you may legally use it. By legally, i mean that while unoccupied the stand is fair game for all to use, not just the individual who placed it there. That is why sometimes you come across a ladder stand with the bottom 5 feet of the ladder sections removed, so they can bring the section back out with them. This way no one can use "their" stand.

I grouse hunt on public land a bit and see a lot of permanent stands. The rule is you aren't supposed to build them, and once they are out on the land anyone can use them. I almost want to just go out and sit in one during the firearm season just to irk the person that built them. Why build a permanent anymore when the portables are so nice?

I think that they are just an eye sore. If I had my choice I would tear them all down. These guys that build the perms think that they have squatters rights now also. Clean up our wood and tear them down!!!

I posted with commentary of this on the trail cam thread. In Crow Wing Co. a week ago, we drove into a section that had a blaze orange sign at the entrance stating that you COULD NOT PLACE A PERMANANT STAND ON COUNTY LAND. Well we found plenty.

I've heard stories of CO's going around the week before season and tearing down as many as they can but they just can't get them all.

I have mixed feelings about it, but I really wish people would just play fair and obey the law. I would hate to hear about a disagreement gone bad over "Someone was sitting in someone elses stand".

It IS legal to build a permanent stand in a state forrest. Most other public lands require that everything be removable, but state forrest still DO allow it though it is discouraged, and you can not legally claim the stand.

Aside from the fact that those stands are eyesores, the wood and junk usually gets left forever, is the fact that the builders of those stands are claiming that spot of public hunting land as theres. Who wants to go confront a gun toting $%$#@ on opening morning?

I guess you just have to go where no one else is.

My party has been hunting (from permanent stands) for years on state land. We know the other parties hunting in the same area, and all respect each others stands. I think it comes down to ethics. I wont sit in a stand not built by my hunting party, unless one of the neighboring parties gives the "ok". It just doesnt seem right to do that to someone.

Yes I call it "my stand" because I built it legally. I know I have no legal right to make someone else leave if they are in it, but I would have no problem asking them too.

Fortunately it has not been an issue, and I hope it never will be. We hunt a long way out, and have a good relationship with the neighbors.

Why does this whine go on every year. The law states no permenant stands on National forests and WMA's. State and county land it is legal to have one. I personally use portables, but I don't really have a problem with permanents. Just leave those people alone...don't we all have the same purpose...have fun and hunt deer!

OK, you had me double take my post! I checked on regs and found this!

Quote:

State Forests

State forest lands are generally open for hunting and other types of

outdoor recreation. Hunting on private land within a state forest is subject

to state trespass laws. A partial summary of state forest use regulations

is included below. A complete listing is available from the DNR.

Elevated Scaffolds

• The use of portable tree stands is recommended, especially those

which can be secured without driving nails into trees. Nails are a

safety hazard for woodcutters and harm the forest. Personal property

must be removed from State Forest lands. It is illegal to destroy state

property, including the cutting of trees of four inches or more in

diameter at four and one-half feet above the ground for shooting

lanes. Littering and erecting permanent buildings are prohibited.

• Any unoccupied stand or blind on public land is public and not the

property of the person who constructed the stand.

Still a little unclear, but it says personal property needs to be removed!

Click here to link to DNR Hunting regs

I just leave the stands! I figured with the new perm's going up on Wildlife Ref. I seen when I was out on the other week, I though maybe regs changed! I see they have not!

Now for the Perms on state forest land, I let them go as well! I figure if some one wants to claim it as his own, the forest is big enough to find another place to sit!

IMO

My main point to this post was, has anyone been in a stand that was illegal, when a co or another hunter came by and what happened. I realy am not debating the issue!

Correct...Personel property like your thermos, pack, chair etc...The stand (once built) legally becomes public.

It is only "recomended" to use portable stands...not required. Nails are stated to be a safety hazard, but you can still use them (it doesnt say you can not). You can not cut trees more than 4 inches in diameter, and it is illegal to build a cabin out there. Other than that... build away.

I also agree that there should be enough woods for everyone. I will also say again I believe it comes down to ethics.

The funny thing about this is no one has issues with these stands other then the three weeks of deer season. I myself had permenant stands way back when but have moved on to ladder stands and climbers. In the area where I hunt I own 120 acres. In our party we have 12 people that hunt. Most of the State land and county land is land locked around mine. No road access what so ever. Some of the people in our party set up on state land and have done so for 25+ years. Another hunting party that hunts near us have been out there for 40+ years. Last week one of the land owners near by decided to lease a 40 acre field beyond our property. Last Saturday after hearing about this lease I drove out to see what was going to happen. Just to let you know this field is an over grown hay field that has not been cut in the 25+ years I have been hunting it. Lots of tagelder and not one possible tree to even think about putting a portable stand in. Nine guys from Hutchenson have leased this land with expectation of coming up the week before hunting and finding areas to hunt. No care factor of finding out who hunts the land or where deer stands have been established. My point is if you don't own land there are going to be issues to come down the line. Way back when people built permenant stands on state and county land in our group they have always been maintained and if they were falling apart they were tore down and hauled out. We as hunters have to take care of these lands like they were ours. I very well understand the concerns of the state and counties not wanting permenant stands on their property. It only makes sence. It's there land.

I believe it is legal to build a permanent stand on state forest also as long as there wasn't walls and a roof. Reading the article in Outdoor News has me guessing who is right because I believe they wrote in there article they are not allowed.

I just started thinking about this a little more. If I build a stand on state land, and some jack @ss cuts it down... he should (according to the rules) get in trouble for destroying state property grin.gif

jbdragon,

I had to chuckle.... grin.gif

I just want to offer this perspective and maybe it will help explain why this topic comes up every year.

As a "wanderer" type hunter, I hunt both public and private. I like to see new country. When I get introduced to a new area like by my friends 140 this year, I sometimes find areas on govt. land that I would REALLY like to hunt. Especially since his ground is already saturated with the original party.

When I explore the area I start getting that feeling that THIS would be a good spot. I start looking for a setup tree. Oh, crap, theres a stand frown.gif It looks new-somebody will be here but I would really like to hunt it. Dang, not worth the hassle. Find another spot. Another stand. It doesn't look new. I wonder if anybody will be in it? Should I chance it? Nah, keep looking.

Finally! A spot just on govt. land across the private property line. Looks great! NO STAND! Guess what?? I've looked long and hard for this so up goes my portable. Locked. 25 feet up. Tree pegs removed.

Now I'm guilty of being on both sides of the fence when I would really just rather get up earlier than the next guy and be where I want to be first. Otherwise I don't EVER get to equally share public land on a first come first served basis.

One guy has that public deer funnel locked up for 25 years because he nailed up some 2x4's. Thats why its a sore spot.

Quote:

One guy has that public deer funnel locked up for 25 years because he nailed up some 2x4's. Thats why its a sore spot.

And that's why I predict that on all public land, all perms will be illegal in a few years. Maybe 5 at the long end. Crow Wing County, Cass County, and the National Forests already ban perms on thier lands. A few other Counties will tumble in soon. The more conflict there is, the sooner they will go.

Plat books can be confusing, make sure you know what type of public land you are on. Sometimes County owned land is listed as State of Minnesota Tax Forfeit. I've seen confusion about that.

Craig

Quote:

I'd try more for hunter harassment.

And if somebody gets a little rough with me asking me to leave "his" stand on public land, I'd do the same.

I'm out there to have a good time. Really could care less if I shoot a deer today or not, but I have as much right to public land as the guy that built that stand. The law and my ethics tell me so.

Craig

I'm having some of these same issues. This will be my first year hunting public land, and quite frankly, I'm scared ****less. I have no idea where people are hunting, how many there are, etc. I've seen how people act at boat launches, on the lakes at 'their spot', on the roads and such. I'm going into the woods for the first time on Friday morning, in hopes that people will have marked out their areas, or will have their stands up, but I really won't know all the details until well after sunrise on Saturday morning.

I'm not sure how or if their would be a better way of doing the current system, nor do I know if the current one works. I can almost guarantee that someone will have the "I've been here for x years" mentality, but according to the regs, it all resets come shooting time on Saturday.

Nicely said Craig S.

Hopefully this will be my last wind on the subject because I realized I didn't answer Shackbash's original question.

What happens if a CO catches you in a stand that IS illegal?

You will be cited. I discussed this with a CO a couple years ago. If you are on it, in it, or are making personal use of and illegal item on public land it becomes yours, no matter who put it there. And don't get caught by someone elses bait.

So I took a pass on the stunning vista atop a ridge in a partially logged area of County land that needs to be manned with 200 yd rifle. I don't know if the person who prehung the portable on one part of the ridge put up the other two stands to make it look like 3 people were covering it. I don't know if he left the pickle buckets with empty corn bags stuffed in them. I don't know if there really is corn piled or scattered out there.

But worst of all, I don't know if the CO knows and is planning a hunt of his own on opening morning. In my mind that beautiful spot is OFF LIMITS to me.

And for you, Lip_Ripper Guy, is why I post my feelings and the legal truth. You should feel completely comfortable hunting for the first time on public land. Any public land.

I wish I could say your experience will be the best, and your birth right to those public lands will be fulfilled.

Truth is that some Minnesota hunters have adopted a culture where you may be confronted for hunting somebodies percieved territory on public land. And to me, that is very wrong.

The good news is that there is a huge amount of public land available in Minnesota. I suggest you do some homework. Buy some maps. Scout ahead. And be prepared to walk some distance to your hunting area. Truth is that there are huge areas of public hunting lands in Minnesota that never see a hunter. Seek and you will find.

Craig

Quote:

Wanderer nailed the issue right there!!! Public land means open to all, not just open to the first squatter with 2x4's.

What's the difference between an unoccupied portable hanging in a tree and an unoccupied permanent stand in the same tree? To me someone hanging a portable before season and a permanent are the same thing. They both "stake a claim" in my opinion. The only way around around what some consider a problem is for the state to make it mandatory for all stands to be removed everyday. Personally I don't think permanents are a big deal. That's my 2 cents and you get what you pay for.