Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nine-tiner

who makes?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone out there have a good ice-tong maker? or supplier? The only place I have seen really good ones are at auctions or antique shops. My dad has a "retired" one that would grab around a 24" block easily.

send me a email. i have some information for you

I'm sure you can buy a good used one at antique shops for way less than a new one, if you could even find a new one. I have a few of them but seldom use them. A shovel or chisel seem to work just fine.

the problem with used ones is that if the tip of the thogs gets bent, your in alot of trouble.

The best ones I've found are actually log tongs. I prefer the 13" ones that were made by the Gifford Wood Co. in Hudson, NY. They have a jaw opening of about 24".

b212_1_sbl.JPG

f5e0_1_sbl.JPG

The handles are nice when you have gloves on, and they don't bend. If you get a set that are loose at the joint, you can heat the rivet and re-peen it to a tight fit.

You can find them on eBay for about $15.

--Mark

Yep, those are the good ones. I have 3 or 4 of them somewhere. I've never seen the tips or any part of any old tongs get bent. They are made of pretty good tempered steel.

I agree Log tongs work the best.. You can find them at any old auction or most farmers have some laying around the farmplace.