Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Big Jeff

DTP a gentlemen and a scholar

Big Jeff

It was great to meet you this weekend and thanks for the tips, nice to know there are some good guys around when you’re out on the water. Hope your son does well in B-ball. I had a good time out there, but how can’t you with some saugies a few eyes and some good old black berry! Good luck out there just wanted to give you a little good press…keep catching um!!!!!

Jeremy airjer W

You two definitely have a gift for chat. Not that I was eves dropping or anything. grin.gif I would have introduced myself but I couldn't get a word in! blush.gif

Soul_Patrol

I Have to thank Big Jeff for taking me with him on Saturday morning for a great time fishing. Speaking of the chatting that goes on out there, funny thing in the morning I counted 23 boats with in a stones throw and you could hear a pin drop out there. I guess no one had anything good to say.

tberrict

What's up Big Jeff and Soul. Glad you are not rookies anymore. One of these days I will have to come and show you how to catch the pigs. :-) Maybe I will get my deer early, and teach you how.

dtp

Airjer,

Sure is easy to talk when fish are biting - but have a problem that you may be able to comment on.

My buddy has a 2002 Impala 3.8l - died - dead battery. Had it diagnosed - bad alternator. Pulled alternator had A&S check before rebuilding. Alternator passed just fine - 14.4 V full load. Put back in - no output. Only 3V at back lug. My Ford has 12V. Brought to Luther Chev - claim bad PCM or something like that - $650 - tried it - no difference. Then they say bad alternator. Put old PCM back in. Questioned the 3V thing and they said that is the way it is. Could the 12 V A&S trial give us a wrong result? Just a bad regulator?

He had a rebuilt engine installed at John's 6 weeks ago - nothing but trouble since - not the engine but little nitpicking things. Could it be a bad wire/ground?

Do not have any repair manuals for it.

DTP

Jeremy airjer W

You had 3 volts at the big battery positive cable thats bolted to the back of the alternator?

If this is correct than there is a definite issue with that cable. With the battery connected there should be twelve volts on that wire no matter where you test it.

If you check the voltage at the battery there is twelve volts right?

What happens to the voltage if you remove the cable from the alternator. Does it go back to 12 volts or does it stay at 3 volts?

Make sure that the ground straps near the starter on the bell housing bolts are tight. If there is a bad ground this could give similar symptoms. With a voltmeter put one lead on the negative side of the battery and the other end touch anything metal on the engine. if it reads anything from 1 to twelve volts than a ground is bad.

I assume you checked the cable ends at the battery for corrosion, very common! and you checked the voltage of the battery with the cables disconnected. should read a little over 12 volts.

how many wires does the plug in connector on the back of the alternator have? Typically if it is PCM controlled then a scan tool will be needed to energize that wire.

Does the vehicle start and run?

I think that if you probe that cable and figure out where you're loosing voltage than your problem might be solved.

dtp

Airjer-

Vehicle does start and run - dies after 1/2 hour with a full battery charge prior to starting. Definite battery drain. No recharge from "tested good" alternator.

Voltage at back of alternator lug is 3V connected- have not disconnected and tried yet- maybe tomorrow at lunch. Voltage at battery is 12+V. Must be good at starter since it cranks and starts fine.

2 wires coming out the small connector on top of alternator. I believe the alternator is a Delphi - AC Delco 102 amp.

Brand new battery - lug bolts seem ok - hate those Chevy battery lugs.

Could we run a 8 guage wire with 3/8" round spade ends directly from altenator lug to under battery connector? Disconnect current alternator cable and tape up the end. If he gets 14.4V then - does that proves bad cable or ground - correct?

Could we just then isolate the bad cable and remove it - does it originate at the battery terminal or some type of junction block? Will get some prints from Alldata tomorrow.

Will also check for ground issue - seems staight forward enough.

Any other advice?

DTP

Jeremy airjer W

If it starts and runs than the ground issue is not likely. I'm thinking that that battery cable to the back of the alternator has some corrosion, dirty, or bad connection issues. I can't specifically remember how the cable is routed on that vehicle. A printout of the charging system from alldata will help with that. I would double check the connections at the battery. If it has the dual positive cable setup check for corrosion inbetween the two cable ends where the connect at the battery.

It should be fairly easy to track down where the power is being lost. One test lead on ground and start probing with the other along wherever that cable goes.

I'll get a printout of that charging system diagram tomorrow at work so we will be on the same page.

Good luck!!

dtp

Airjer-

Problem fixed - corrosion at fusible junction block.

Jeremy airjer W

Fantastic! I hope you have learned your lesson! post all your problems here before you start forking out the cash!!! grin.gif

PierBridge

Gotta love the Croix great fishery and Free diagnostics to boot... grin.gif

AWESOME!

Big Jeff

DTP are you going to hit the water again this weekend?

dtp

Went deer hunting north of Greenbush- shot my management doe- no big bucks running yet. Saw lots of deer - nothing over 6 pt. Wedding to attend this weeekend, plan to fish or slug hunt early a.m.