Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuleShack

Trolling hardware for the Eye's

16 posts in this topic

wanted to see what others use for the night trolling on the pond.

what kind of rods, reels and specifically what kind of line choice in what weight.

I know everybody has a tackle box full of husky jerks, shad raps, minnow raps, and probably lots of other stuff.

I use a 7' Shimano Clarus Medium action casting rod with a sea spirit line counting reel. I have it spooled with 30# power pro.

I was thinking of using a heavier 12 - 14# flouro line, but figured that it was dark....they cant see it. grin.gif

How many of you guys use fireline / power pro on the troll? Would it be better to use the mono / flouro?

Lets see what eveyone uses to catch the piggy's.

I use 9 ft Guide series planner board rods with a accudepth line counter reel. I use 20 pound powerpro with a micro swivel to connect a 10 pound flourocarbon leader. I have been fishing alongside others and most of the time I seem to do better with the leader than others who do not use one.

6-6 medium heavy casting rod with a cabelas depth master 2 lincounter spooled with 300' of 10/3 Fireline. Best combo I've got. grin.gif

for trolling, i use a st croix 7'0" one piece med-lite action (i think?), a symetre reel and 6/2 smoke fireline. havent got the line counters yet. ive used spinning reels since i was a kid but am getting tired of the way the line comes off the reel sometimes when the bail is closed if its not seated in the line roller of the bail correctly. one time it happened when i was close to the grizz. i was embarrassed he saw the whole thing, got the walleye thought!

i know other people who use the heavier line but i see them getting bit off too, so i dont really see any advantage of using anything heavier.

regards,

minnesotatuff

7'-6" St Croix Tidemaster (Medium Power Moderate Action)

Abu Garcia 5500LC (Linecounter)

I currently have it spooled with 20lb Spiderwire Stealth but I had an unreal amount of linetwist in my line last time out. Frustrating... If it keeps up, 20lb PowerPro is going back on.

Fireline Crystal for line. Has worked well without a fluoro leader. I manage to catch some size pike every fall and feel the braid is less likely to get chewed through than flouro.

Shimano Tecotta line counter reel. G.Loomis IMX 7'-10" Med light action. This rod was specifically designed for trolling cranks.

i also have a guide series planer board 8' rod with a diawa accudepth line counter.. i'm spooled with 10# fireline and love it's performance...

I had some of the thin fireline on mine and it kept getting wrapped over and stuck...so i changed to the power pro...no problems since. That stuff is nice.

I might try to put a 12lb floro leader on this week to see if that changes my luck.

the first Gator that steals my Husky, then the floro is coming off... grin.gif

10/4 Fireline, 7'7" Cabela's Trolling Series rod and Daiwa Sealine linecounters for "normal" operating temperatures. When the temperatures start to dip, I just use a medium-action spinning rod. grin.gif

10 lb power pro, accudepth 17, and a 7 1/2 foot ugly stick trolling rod ... its all you need and its not expensive. oh and of cousrse boat control......

I use 7 foot ML graphite rods, have several, different brands, all are lightweight and sensitive.

I use Sealine 17's, have several, all spooled with different line.

Line is always a no-stretch braid, usually spiderwire, powerpro, or stren superbraid. I use anywhere from 6 lb diameter to 12 or 14 lb diameter depending on how far away from the boat I want to get. I occasionally use a flouro leader but not very often.

Hey guys,

Nobody mentions snap-lok size, I primarily use #3 or sometimes #4 Berkleys pending on the lure size. I just looked back on the In-Fisherman insert from Stange on modifying eyelets on HJs and it referenced #1 Berkley snap-loks.

At what point does the snap-lok size compromise lure action and pull the nose down? Or does the wider size allow for more side-to-side lure action? Guess I've not played around enough.

Curious what others prefer.....#3 is my preferred with the 12 and 14 in HJs, Rogues, Thundersticks #11s, dow to #4 if I go to the #9 Shad Rads or Minnnow Raps, am I missing the boat?

Anyone use the 4 inch Berkley wire leaders, or even the 8 inch if pulling the floating Rap 18s in case of a muskie? I like them for the hold up to the occasional pike/ski, but am I losing action?

Thanks, Chris

I would have to check the tackle box and check on the sizes that I have. (Not good on remembering things like that). For sure size 2. I would guess that I have the other sizes you mentioned. Stange has been doing this for a long time!!! You could use what he says as maybe "the Gospel". I remember watching In-Fisherman shows on this way back in the late 70's-early 80's (guess I'm outdating myself 46). If you want to see these, I believe they are on Earlier Advanced Walleye Systems vol 1-3. Good stuff here.

I don't like using (just me) the leader on #18 Rapala's. You may lose a little action with the leader. Speed may make the difference on that.

I have four rods tied right to eye let with different husky jerk situations. I have yet to use them.

This weekend. Now hunting is over (minus small games), I will be hitting Mille Lacs as much as I can.

I have no further comment at this point. grin.gif (until I have pics to post).

#2's and 3's for me.