• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is your cell phone provider?

MNpurple

I consider my cell phone an essential piece of survival gear because I do much of my hunting alone, and if something would ever happen, I have a means of connection to someone. I am with Midwest wireless (now Alltel) and my service and reception has taken a dive since the Alltel takover. I was originally with Midwest because I could typically get reception out in the woods on backroads and other places the big name providers couldnt get as most covered main highways and interstates.

Since my service has taken a crap, I am looking to change, Who do you use and can you get reception off the beaten path, this is in SE MN bluffcountry. I'd like service where I would typically hunt, not just on interstates and main highways.

In my io

I have Unicel and the service is awesome, however they were just bought buy Verizon. They have the best coverage out of all the cell phone companies out there IMO.

Just FYI, I have T-mobile, and hunt off 250 in Lanesboro, and I don't get reception there. I'm fine near ST. Charles, but I go about 15 minutes south, and I'm done.

I agree with the Alltel service as mine also has went downhill. Maybe check out Verizon as I have heard that many have a very good signal in many locations.

I would also check with Alltel and see what the charge is for leaving your contract before the end as they wanted alot from me. I plan on staying with them until my plan expires.

I've had verizon for 10 years and now and wouldn't switch even if you paid me. Customer service is the best I've ever delt with. What I really like is that if you have a problem with your phone you can take it there get it fixed or they'll give you a new one, for free. The other places make you send in your phone to get it fixed. And if they can't fix it you have to buy a new one.

Us too were very happy customers with Midwest Wireless, due to the Alltel buyout we recently switched to AT&T. Phones are great, service is better than Alltel or Midwest Wireless.

Study contracts VERY well, all companies have at least 14 days tryout period.

Beware of online sellers (Wirefly, Letsalks, etc), they have huge fees for early termination ON TOP of provider's fees.

I think your actual model of phone also makes a difference. My dad and I were in rural ND recently. We both use ATT. His phone worked and mine did not. I had the same issue in SD with my friend.

It does seem that ATT is getting worse though. I will drive by towers and still not have a signal. I don't think they share with other carriers like they seem to do in the past. I have been very unimpressed with my covereage this Fall. I used to have Vorizon and I couldn't even get a signal at my home in the north Metro. At least I can do that with ATT.

I hunted with a guy in SD that had a bag phone with an external antenna. The bag phone has higher wattage. I don't know who his carrier was, but he had a signal everywhere we went. I was impressed.

I recently switched from Unicel to Verizon. I am very happy with it. I have service everywhere I go and everyplace I hunt. I was out in ND last weekend and had great reception.

I travel to some very rural areas of ND, SD, MT, MI and NM for work and my Verizon service beats my co-workers (ATT/TMobile/Sprint) all the time. There is never a time when their phones work and mine doesn't. More often than not my phone is the only one that works and they have to borrow mine.

Besides the provider consider getting a phone that will run both analog and digital. There are still some areas that only get reception on old analog technology. It isn't as clear but at least it works.

I haven't noticed any difference in Midwest since it switched to Alltel. I would think that the towers would be the same, but I could be wrong.

The phone does have a lot to do with reception. In the Valleys of SEMN bluff country, you will be shielded by alot of the reception. It is critical to get a phone that will be just as clear with one bar as it is with four. I have seen a lot of people using the Nokias, I used to, but got a deal on a motorola. I can honestly say that the motorola is as clear with one bar as it is full signal strength and that makes a large difference when talking at in bluff country. Hope that helps.

BTW. I am a Bluff country hunter, I am speaking from experience.

I have heard most of the cell phone providers are dropping the analog phones within the next couple years, so if you are shoppping for phones, ask before getting it!

I have at&t. my old nokia took a crap, but when it worked i had reception almost everywhere. Stayed with at&t, but got a sony ericsson brand, and those dead areas came to life. They say sony ericssons are the best for reception, whether or not i believe them, my reception clearly got better. so maybe it is just phone brand as well as provider.

Definitely Verizon is the way to go. I have had them for five years and just this weekend I was up near Togo, MN hunting and was the only one with a signal. It seems to be that way everywhere I go. None of my friends have a signal and I get a bar or two.

The only provider I have ever had is Sprint. I do pay the extra $5 a month for no roaming in the USA. I have never once had a problem with service besides maybe in some steel biuldings. I have been all the way to florida and Texas. In MN I have been fishing in International Falls and Lake of the Woods with no problems. Haven't been to ND with it. But Hunting and Fishing from Webter to Chamberline with no problems. I also haven't heard any problems from a buddy with Verizon.