Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moose-Hunter

Coyote; I need a hide "friendly" .243 bullet.

11 posts in this topic

I scoped a small group of songdogs the other evening and one has an almost black face, a hide that is very distinct and would make a GREAT mount.

I can find .243 deer loads everywhere, however they tend to do a bit more damage than I'd like. I'm looking for a bullet, either factory or hand loads, that is as hide friendly as possible. I was thinking a hot FMJ would be the ticket. However, I'm not sure it they're legal to hunt with.

I need some ideas quick as I'd like to get on these guys in the next day or so....

Thanks...

Have you thought about trapping? There are probably more than one or two x trappers in your area who might be able to show you the ropes.

Quote:

Have you thought about trapping? There are probably more than one or two x trappers in your area who might be able to show you the ropes.

As a matter of fact... I'll be doing that very thing once the deer firearms season opens. But for now, my rifle is my chosen method of harvest.

fur friendly 243? I am sure you could down load a lighter bullet, butI have no experience with that. I just bought my first reloading set up so I have no experience with downloading a fur friendly load. Snoop around on the internet a little bit, there are sights for predator hunting that would be able to steer you in the right direction

Your best bet is to use the cheap 100 gr ammo from Remington. They are heavy enough that they don't typically blow up on their way through a coyote. So, there's a small hole in and a small hole out.

The .243 is big for a coyote. If you go with some of the smaller, faster bullets, you are going to have some awful messes.

I am sure FMJ bullets are legal for fur bearers. As far as a fur fiendly load, they are probably the best, but in my experience still can do tons of damage. If you can call him in try a shotgun.

Quote:

fur friendly 243? I am sure you could down load a lighter bullet, butI have no experience with that. I just bought my first reloading set up so I have no experience with downloading a fur friendly load. Snoop around on the internet a little bit, there are sights for predator hunting that would be able to steer you in the right direction

I have found a couple loads that look promising. The RCBS may be pulling overtime in the next couple days. wink.gif

Quote:

Your best bet is to use the cheap 100 gr ammo from Remington. They are heavy enough that they don't typically blow up on their way through a coyote. So, there's a small hole in and a small hole out.

The .243 is big for a coyote. If you go with some of the smaller, faster bullets, you are going to have some awful messes.

One of the loads I'll be working up is close to that offered by Remington except sportin' a FMJ instead of a soft point.

I realize the .243 is a bit large for yodel dogs. When I chose the rifle, I needed something to pull double duty on both deer and yotes.

Quote:

I am sure FMJ bullets are legal for fur bearers. As far as a fur fiendly load, they are probably the best, but in my experience still can do tons of damage. If you can call him in try a shotgun.

Being a novice predator hunter, my calling skills are not up to par just yet. I may be able to get their attention, but not much more at this point. A close range pop with the ol' 1100 would definately do the trick.... IF I can get him close.

try 80 soft points!! puts them down and doesn't tear them up too bad

The one on below was put down with a .243 Winchester SilverTip 55gr, at 175 yards I could barely see the entrance but there was no exit, also VMax 58gr Hornady are excellent