• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Full Moon Report

Mykal

Just got back from a 3 night full moon trip. NW W and SW sides of the lake. We ran miles each night to hit different spots at different times searching for the super sized fish. We left a pretty good bite on Wed night, in search of the true trophies out there. It paid off with a 28.25 (Tim's personal best). Over the 3 nights we caught another 28, with a couple piggie 27's, One 26.5 2 24's and a 23, but most were 21 to 14. 1 sumo perch, 1 smallie, 4 Pike and 2 bite offs, Biggest Pike was a 41" behemoth that went over 20lbs. The rocks held the size and the weeds held the numbers. We did good on Wed, with 16 fish, only 7 fish Thursday (average speed was a bit too slow) and pretty good on Friday after we kicked up speeds again. Tough NE wind on Friday night so we headed North and found a whole new area that held fish. Speed was more important than color this trip but #12 huskies ruled the roost. 1.3-.1.5 was best all weekend with few exceptions. Water temps were 49 on average, still a bit too warm and nice out to bring the sumo’s in in larger numbers in my opinion. I'll have to figure out how to put pics up here sometime.

The moon was truely spectacular.

Good luck out there.

Good report Mike and thanks for the info. We made it out last night and the bite started out slow, picked up some speed and then died at about 8:45 and then picked up at about midnight. Between 8:45 and midnight, I think we caught 2 fish. What a beautiful night to be on the water with the moon and calm winds. We through the box at them last night...colors, length of line, sizes. We ended the night with 14 fish with a 26", 26.5" and a 27" being the largest. We ended the night with a little flurry with three fish caught on three short passes so we took a little momentum home for next weeks trip. The weeds are starting to die down and it should make for some pretty good fishing for the rest of the year. Boat traffic was a little bit higher than it has been which I think had some impact on the spots we fished. Our water temp. was 48 the whole night. Also, it got a little chilly as we had to scrape the windows before we headed out.

Were you up on the North end of the lake with calm winds? My son & I fished west of Eddy's until around 9pm or so, and then headed up to Indian Point to try the rock point east of there. As we approached the east side of the island you could hear the surf crashing into the rocks, and the wave action was like the North Atlantic!!! The only fish for us was a 28" sow caught on a blue/chrome HJ14 along the south edge of the rock point.

The wind was out of the west at around 10 to 15 knots, started to die off around 8pm, and then a secondary cold front passed through after 10pm or so, and really churned the water up in the south end.

We were on the northwest side of the lake. At times it was flat calm. The wind and waves were very light up on our end of the lake.

Here you go Mykal. Great pics and awesome fish.

[image]1024-2607005.jpg[/image]

[image]1024-2607013.jpg[/image]

[image]1024-2607017.jpg[/image]

[image]1024-2607019.jpg[/image]

[image]1024-2607021.jpg[/image]

[image]turkey-1.jpg[/image]

great fishing!!! wow! i would love to find a fishing buddy with as much together as you guys as far as knowledge and dedication to going out and staying out until all possibilities of catching fish are exhausted. those qualities produce fish and your pictures prove it! WTG!

i was out thursday night and have posted about it. last night i was also out. we fished from 4:30 until about 11:00 or so... we only caught 5 walleyes, 1 snot-rocket, and 3 or 4 perch. i had that feeling that good things were to come but ended up going in...

a lot of people think you can just go up there and catch loads of walleyes. its not that easy! you guys did it! congratulations!

now i gotta go out and clean the boat to get it ready for next saturday.

last night was a 21-1/2" & 17" on a firetiger stick rapala, 20-1/2", 16-1/2" & 12-3/4" on firetiger SSR7 from 3.5' to 5.5'. our speed was 1.0 to 1.5 or so, mostly about 1.2. its cool the way you guys keyed in on speed. thats the advantage of being out there enough to know. im just a weekend warrior, i just have saturdays and this forum to hone a plan. thanks for your input and freely sharing your knowledge.

regards,

minnesotatuff

ps, i will try to get a picture up of the 28-1/4" on thursday... its looks very skinny but had great color, my fishing buddy caught it 10 minutes after starting trolling, note the light. it was before 5:00 in the afternoon in 6.4fow.

Nice fish Mykal.

Off the subject, I'm pretty sure I saw you Thursday morning in Garrison having breakfast. Wish I would have known you then, we could have chatted.

Thanks KDawg. Thanks all for sharing.

Minnesotatuff, We are far from experts out there. This is my 7th year doing this thing and believe me we have our off nights too. I just learn from other on the site and try to share when I can help. I try to pay attention to details that can turn a good night into a great one. Thursday night I did not adjust and we struggled. I also keep a detailed log of each fish caught (recorder) time temps wind direction moon phase location speed,lures etc. and put it on a spreadsheet at home. Sometimes it helps to dial in a pattern. I have so much more to learn, but what a great fishery to do it on.

D, great report as always and see you next weekend.

Jamison, yes we were there and I wish I would have known, It would have been great to chat with you. Next weekend if your going to be up.

Nice looking fish just hope i get into some like that on my trip up 11/2 - 11/8 did very well on these dates last year. Great to see all you Fmers share your stories and wisdom on this the great walleye lake for years to come if we all do are part cool.gif

Nice Fish Mykal, and Tuff.

I was up on Saturday night fishing vineland bay area.

First thing i caught was somebodies lost blue/white #9 or #10 rapala... grin.gif

Again only got 2 fish, a 30" pike and a 25" eye. was working the 4-6' depths behind the weeds after dark.

Sounds like the #12 size was the hotter ticket. I was using #14's most of the time....occasionally dropping a smaller size on a change out.

It's not as easy as it seems, and it is my first year doing the fall fishing thing. gotta keep learning and adapting and sooner or later will get some consistency.

Heck, as long as i dont get skunked I consider it a good day. smile.gif

muleshack, what time were you out there? no one was fishing where we were. i was watching the gps and locator while concentrating on what my bait was doing...i looked up and all of a sudden we were headed straight toward another boat trolling there. we got way too close but avoided tangling lines or causing any problems. i appologized but dont know if they heard me.

Mykal, ive never met anyone who is into walleye fishing as much as you, actually computerizing your walleye knowledge and experiences and extrapolating on it as part of your plan. i hope someday i get the chance to meet you.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Tuff,

That was me....

I seen you coming and thought you seen me also, so i just kept to my left. It wasn't even that close....just reminded me of spring. grin.gif (haha) I thought i heard something, but it was no big deal on my end. I was trying to figure out if the fish were in this area or if i was in the wrong spot.

I just dont have the "confidence" factor with this fall trolling yet. dont know if i am where the fish are, or they dont like what i'm puttin' down or what.

Too bad i didn't know your boat, or we could have exchanged some strategies. maybe next weekend.

My cell # 651-248-3216 if somebody wants to call me and let me know where their hitting on Friday and Saturday. grin.gif

Steve

Had a 3-person party out Saturday night - my first time night fishing or any fishing on Mille Lacs actually. Launched about 7:00 pm, I had the lucky bait and caught the first and only 3 of the night. 6 lb. 26 in. was the first and biggest walleye. We quit around 11:30 pm - talking to a few others that came in that said the action was the same or worse. Still a lot of fun (for me anyway) and it certainly was a nice calm night with great moonlight. Hope to do it again.

@minnesotatuff:

That could've been us too - the guy sitting in the front of our boat screened another boat from the driver and fairly soon we were right next to em. Hopefully they heard us apologize.

here is my cell number (651/270-3365), if you see me on the lake, give a call. i would be glad to exchange tactics & results.

ill be up again saturday, probably from eddy's, unless i hear of a super bite in other areas. my brother paid for the launch ticket last saturday and said they told him they were biting on the sand. that may have explained the group of boats right out front.

regards,

minnesotatuff