• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Parasites in mallard breast?

Hey all- We hunted central ND over MEA weekend and did well for roosters and so-so for ducks. One of the mallards I shot had lots of little white things that looked like grains of rice throughout both breasts. Anyone know what they are? I have pics if someone wants to see them.

redhooks

That's exactly what it's called. Rice disease. It is common in ducks. Destroy the affected duck and keep hunting.

I shot a ringbill last year with the same thing,looks disgusting, threw it in the garbage. What causes it?

I had 1 bird with that last year. From what I've read, you can still eat it if cooked fully. I didn't want to though, so I threw the bird in the trash. frown.gif

have seen one or two in 10 years of hunting...both were drake mallards I believe. I don't care if they claim the meat tastes like prime rib I would never put something like that in my mouth. G R O S S !

A buddy and me shot six mallards one late season hunt. Three had the rice breast disease. Threw all of them out (3) - I would never eat those!