• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's Ready???

fishnhooks

Mentally I am ready for the stand, deer, the little critters running around and the fun. It's been a long summer for me, but it some how went fast. Here I am Friday night, thinking of all the things I need to do and what I need to do this weekend. I am thinking that by this time next weekend I would have already spent most of the day at the camp in the woods.

"hooks"

I have the fever really bad right now. Literally, all I have to do is case up the gun, put on blaze orange, and walk out the door. And opener is still a week away!!!!!!!!!! I'm telling you, I'm going through all my stuff at least once a day to make sure I'm not forgetting anything!!!!!!

All I have to say, it is going to be a very long week at work. Saturday A.M. can't come soon enough.

I had a bit of a scare yesterday. I had left the house to go shoot a couple more rounds off... just to make sure I was still dead on. I was, and came back home to my wife and my 4 week old son were sitting in the livingroom. She looked at me and said, "where do you think you are going?" My stomach dropped. She wasn't doing this to me I thought. I decided to plead and beg. She told me I have a choice, hunt slug or muzzleloader, but not both. I thought, well this is progress, but compaired to the last seven years 2 days in the tree stand just isn't sufficient. Finally, late last night she gave me permission to go 2 days for both. I had to call the lawyer back this morning to cancel the paperwork..... just kidding. But seriously, I almost died when she said NO.

Long and the short of it. I can't wait. Now I just have to decide what stand to sit in.

Yeh it gets a little tense around my house this time of year. I find myself getting a lot of projects completed that she has been asking me to do for months. (Suckin' up a bit? - Definately what ever it takes) We are also planning a muzzleloading trip up north, so that added to the tension - Long story short - I got permission to go on both trips.

Gonna be a great hunting season.

Good Luck to all.

DL

Man, makes a guy happy to be single. The only thing that gets in my way of outdoor activities is school, and its great that way. I am definately prepared mentally, and all the stuff is ready to go. Ol 70s sighted in, clothes are packed, and I've been watching plenty of monster bucks to prepare me for ol mossy horns walking by the stand. The excitment is definately building, Can't wait to get into that stand.

Yeah, my girlfriend called me into my office last night with a highlighter in hand and a calendar layed out. She says, "now which days are you going to be gone?" So I start giving her the days, which I had already given her several times. So of course I get the, "you're going to be gone both weekends?", and the inevitable, "you didn't tell me you were taking Friday AND Monday off of work." Which I DID tell her. I'm going to be a hero tonight though. She was really ticked because I had just gotten word last week that I needed to fly to Germany on Monday Nov 5th and return on Saturday the 10th and then back up to deer camp on Sunday. So she was really not happy with me. Today I just found out that our trip has been canceled and our customer no longer needs us over there. She's going to LOVE me tonight. That should buy me two weekends of muzzleloader hunting in December, I hope.

Other than that, I have not packed anything yet. If I had started packing already I wouldn't be able to think of anything else but hunting. This way the longer I can hold out the longer I can keep my mind preoccupied with other things.

I haven't got everything ready yet but my wife has had her blaze orange out for a week. And this morning she left a note that she wants to go shoot her gun after work,heck I don't even know were mine is. She hides things like that just so I have to take her with. which is not so bad because just the other day she asked if I was going to buy a bigger portable fish house so she could go with more often. which is great but it cost me twice as much. like they say {live and learn}

Are you guys bowhunters too? I just don't get as excited for gun season because I've been in a tree for 6 weeks already. It will be nice to be able to reach out and teach that buck a lesson as he stands there at 50 yards but I just feel like it's another weekend.

Sitting in the stand is just a small part of it in my eyes.

I have been bow-hunting too, but there is something about walking into deer camp and setting the rifle in the corner, crackin a beer and getting into the camp mood. Something about comraderie that just gets me pumped. I just love the whole atmosphere of deer camp. Definately not another weekend to me - A chance for me to hunt with my dad, brothers, friends and this year my nephew gets to get into the whole deer camp.

I love it

DL

This is my first year hunting and my first time going after deer. I'm pretty excited. All my stuff is ready to go. Had to mark stuff off the old list to get permission and the old, you aren't going anywhere next weekend, but it should be worth it.

I bet you guys wish you had stayed single grin.gif Never needing permission to go or being needed at home wink.gif

i think its going to be a great hunt. There is alot of deer in the area that we hunt so its even more exciting. Hopefully it gets a bit colder, or even get a few inches of snow on the ground. But i doubt that will happen. Its getting closer to opener. I cant wait.

I don't have a ring on the finger yet and still need permission from her to go!!! But, I kinda did tell her that if I get some (alot) of hunting and fishing time in before the midget gets here, I'd take her (deep breath now) to the mall. Otherwise, it would have been a big no. The price you have to pay to go out hunting and fishing.....

If your wives or significant others loved you as much as mine does...she would be counting down the days til you leave.... but if you leave without the list done....you might as well not come home grin.gif

I can't wait either. It's really not the Hunting to me, it's the comraderie. Due to ours everyday lives, distances, some of us only see each other once a yr, and that's at deer camp. But we somehow manage to catch up on a whole yrs worth of events in one wkend. LOL!

Hopefully I bag a nice deer saturday morning, leaves more time to BS, with the buds. grin.gif

Good luck and be safe everyone.

Livintofish:

Being a single man should make you look hard at this post. Be smart, find a woman that loves to hunt and all will be well. My wife will stay in the stand all day long. I have to beg her to come in for lunch. Not a bad thing at all. Getting ready for the season she is right there with me. Cutting lanes or carring out the stands. She wants Santa to bring her a bow so we can both be sitting in the woods in September.

I think you might want to help Santa along with that one...

Yes, for you single guys try to get your girlfriend of fiance in the woods a time or two before you tie the knot. Mine would go then, she won't much now, men & women both do things when they're dating that they won't do once they're married. At least she mostly understands the obsession.

Single guys, appreciate the woman down the road who understands the hunting and fishing mentality. My wife doesn't hunt at all but she loves to fish. Most of the time she can't wait for me to get going hunting for a few days by herself. Now she also can't wait till the kids are old enough to go along hunting instead of staying home.

Actually, we met on the day after I got home from deer camp 1994. Had a whole year to warn her that I would be gone next November. The next year we were engaged and she jokingly said set the date for the first Saturday in November. I said who is going to be the groom?

It's never been a problem for me, but if you are planning on a wedding make it VERY clear up front where you will be in the fall to save future problems.

DD

I'm with you vermilionwally. After last nights fight with the live-in girlfriend I'm thinking the single life is the way to go. I mean I got my dog, my truck, and my ATV, what else does a guy need. laugh.gif Last night I found out why she has been marking the days I'm gone on a calendar. It turns out it's not because she just wants to be up to date on when I'll be gone, it turns out she's doing it so that she has PROOF of how many days I'm gone. Wow, let's just say the Lazy-boy is pretty comfortable. And to think, it's my house!!! Grrrrrr! I told her flat out that it's not like I'm going out partying with the guys on the town, I'm up in the woods with a bunch of stinky guys playing cards and sitting in a tree. How harmless can that be??? I told her to find a hobbie and get off my butt! We never did finish the fight, so tonight ought to be fun crazy.gif . I tell you guys, if your significant other is OK with you hunting all Fall then you've got it made. Cherish that girl, because the girls these days don't seem to understand that it's not a hobbie, it's a way of life. Does anybody have a nice rod and reel they'd like to trade for my girlfriend? It doesn't even have to be a good rod and reel, just take her! grin.gif

I love my wife. I only have to put stuff on the calendar. But it's only a question if I can get off work, or if I have enough money. It's never a question of whether she'll let me. Granted, the age of the children makes all the difference. When they were little, all of their functions came first, so it was difficult to find open weekends. But I love the fact she justs asks me when I plan on going, and never gives me any grief about it. But then, I never give her any grief about going out with her friends either. I do wish she'd come with sometimes. She doesn't like to do anything for very long. So if we go fishing, she'll only sit in the boat for 2 hours. I don't imagine she'd sit in the blind for more than a couple hours either.

I tell you what. I can't wait for saturday. I have to thank my son for that. I was never a hunter until he turned 12 and wanted me to take him. Now I can't wait for fall.

When you single guys set your wedding dates, make sure they aren't on your favorite hunting/fishing/camping/superbowl/statesoftballtourny weekend... because getting away on your anniversary... well, don't even ask.

Quote:

I'm with you vermilionwally. After last nights fight with the live-in girlfriend I'm thinking the single life is the way to go. I mean I got my dog, my truck, and my ATV, what else does a guy need.
laugh.gif
Last night I found out why she has been marking the days I'm gone on a calendar. It turns out it's not because she just wants to be up to date on when I'll be gone, it turns out she's doing it so that she has PROOF of how many days I'm gone. Wow, let's just say the Lazy-boy is pretty comfortable. And to think, it's my house!!! Grrrrrr! I told her flat out that it's not like I'm going out partying with the guys on the town, I'm up in the woods with a bunch of stinky guys playing cards and sitting in a tree. How harmless can that be??? I told her to find a hobbie and get off my butt! We never did finish the fight, so tonight ought to be fun
crazy.gif
. I tell you guys, if your significant other is OK with you hunting all Fall then you've got it made. Cherish that girl, because the girls these days don't seem to understand that it's not a hobbie, it's a way of life. Does anybody have a nice rod and reel they'd like to trade for my girlfriend? It doesn't even have to be a good rod and reel, just take her!
grin.gif

Dude - did you say this is your "girlfriend"? She must be one hell of a catch to put up with that kind of grief about going deer hunting. She'd get the boot in the blink of an eye if I had to put up with that. If it's like this now, wait till you put a ring on her finger - run dude, run.

When I was in college I would have girl friends right up until about October 1 when bow season opened in IA. If they had one word to say about me going out to the stand they were history.

I'm lucky...my wife is jealous when I hunt without her...she loves it. She killed a bigger turkey than me last May and I'm still hearing about it! grin.gif

Colonel,

I hear ya man, just need to look hard and find the right one, so far I've been practicing catch and release only. I look around at my buddies and think they are all with really great women, but some of them have NO freedom to be independant and I know it kills them. Like many have said 2 things are important that she understands that it is a passion, not just a hobby, and expieriencing it will show that, but I hope shes into getting outdoors at least some of the time with me. I wonder if Santa knows of any good lookin, outdoor loving women......for now I'm loving the freedom to ramble the wilderness at my own chosen time.

Back to the original post though....Of all things considered, getting to deer camp and sharing the expierience is what I most look forward to. If a big boy happens my way, great, hope someone gets one anyway.....but its all about the catching up with close friends and family, sharing stories, laughing, and just having a great time in Gods country....soaking in the beauty of nature.

There's nothing like opening morning... just getting settled in... Getting your breathing back to normal, because you had to climb the tree or huff it a couple miles in. Listening with heightened senses for every crack of the forest floor. That's so much fun... you can't see a darn thing, but you can hear everything. Trying your hardest to discern the difference between a squirrel and a buck. Knowing for sure, that it really is a buck, but having to wait till legal shooting hours... and praying he's still there... being just a little bit chilly, but not really caring, because you're so excited... and then you hear it, someone, somewhere, jumped the gun by a few minutes... you know somebody just dropped a beauty... just gets your blood flowing... and if it's close enough, you wonder if it's someone in your party.... the anticipation heightens some more... I CANT WAIT.

How many times have i been back to this forum, just because I can't focus on anything else... and I need that fix.

2 and a half days left. The fever's getting worse!! Someone please give me a rag to cool off!!!! Literally, all I have to do is grab the gun off the wall, load it, grab the blaze orange (next to the door) and jump in the vehicle. laugh.gif I can't wait for Saturday morning. Now if the other half can keep The Future Hunter in until at least Sunday, I'll be happy. She's got me scared right now; she had minor labor pains last night shocked.gif I hopw she can hold out until after opener!!!!

Oh man, I am so ready. I'm leaving in about 30 hours. They're predicting snow flurries! I'm ready to roll, bring on Mr. Big!

All is ready for the North Dakota opener. The stand has the heater and bino's in it. The decoy is laying in the weeds by the stand and all the other gear is there also waiting for my arrival.

I will need to wait 7 more days before I leave. frown.gif The pressure is not to bad as I have been up bow hunting numerous times this fall and have taken three already.

I'm really pumped to meet some old friends that I usually only see during the rifle season a few times a year. More tradition for me with the rifle season and opener.

Now, its time for that buck I dream of. smile.gif

Bags are packed and stands are ready - Leave in exactly 22 hours. I love the firearms opener.

Good Luck to all and be safe.

DL

I'm in the same boat as Harvey like Minnesota opener but for us Nodak is the superbowl. It is great to have everyone get together.

Washed all the cloths last night and they are all airing out outside. If I check the weather any more, I may get fired.

Is anyone else trying to figure out which stand to sit in? I have two banger spots and really can't decide. Opening morning I am thinking about the North Facing stand overlooking 40 acres of CRP, which boarders a river bottom with corn, and the other side is state land. My thoughts are that the state land goers will jump some deer down to me.

The other set up is in the willows surrounded by Corn, CRP and beans (picked). This looks like downtown during rush hour with all the trails and sign. However, there is a house within 150 yards (yes I have written permission). Decisions, Decisions.