• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Full Moon Weed Wackin'...

Team Otter

7.5 fish/net? I think "they" might want to check again. smirk.gif

I just returned home from nearly a full week on "the pond" and the bite seems to be setting itself up for an explosion within the coming days. The first part of the week, the water temperature was 50 - 52 degrees but when we drove off the lake this morning ~3:00 am, I had 48 degrees. The reason I say "explosion" is because, although the fishing was awesome, we saw all sizes. That will soon change. The common denominator this week as far as location goes was being in the sand on the inside of green cover in 4 - 6' of water. There is other cover out there but the vegetation that is the most green is holding the best concentrations of fish. As far as presentation goes, other than last night, #12 HJ's ruled the roost in Tennesse Shad, Blue and Chrome, Glass Purple Perch and Black and Gold. When the action slowed, we down-sized to #9 Salmo Minnows and #5 and #7 shallow Shad Raps to keep up with their wants. Last night, with the brighter skies, was a different story. We averaged ~2 - 3 fish/lure, with at least 9 different colors catching fish. Interesting. Speed was crucial too; no surprise there. 1.0 - 1.5 mph was typical but in the end, the slower, the better and that won't change from now 'til ice-up. Also, the flurries of activity seemed to be ~9:00 - 10:30 pm and then again from ~12:30 am - 3:00 am.

A typical night was 25 - 40 fish but Wednesday was an exception, when we went well over 50 fish for 2 guys.

I'd be happy to entertain any questions because I know I can't cover it all in just 1 report. Oh, it's time to get up there. grin.gif

These fish mean business!

moon002qe0.jpg

Biggest of the trip; 27.75"

moon005ba6.jpg

Ho-Hum 26"

moon013ha2.jpg

Right at sunset - POW!

moon015gh2.jpg

Hot Steel Victim...

moon022cn8.jpg

25.5"; not even 3# confused.gif

moon024js7.jpg

Go on a diet fatty grin.gif

moon021od7.jpg

Always a nice surprise at 2:00 am grin.gif

moon020ew9.jpg

Ever been "mooned" grin.gifgrin.gif

moon001gl9.jpg

Awesome report! I'm headed up tomorrow and your report was all the motivation I needed. The next 30-40 days are going to bring some excellent fishing. How far back were you running your lines?

T.O. Like to see those nice pictures you share and all the imformation you allways share with us fellow FMers keep it up hold on them biggins just begun to bite.To all you other FMers you guys all rock and one day I will be shaking hands with a few of you for sure.Next FMers get together im going to do all i can to clear my calender to make it.This site is awsome and the people who share and like to talk fishing and have no proublem sharing there do's and dont just make it so much better.Thanks to all you FMers that contribute to this site wich I read daily.I want to get up for some night trolling a couple more times this year but right now the eyes are hot down here on the great old mighty missip.Would love to post some of my pics but cant seem to get it to go lol must be me im sure.Anyways keep up the great post and pic's and have fun because thats what the great outdoors is all about. cool.gif

incredible fishing! wtg!

it sounds like there was a heck of a front go thru. strong winds from the wnw & nw are predicted with colder temps. tomorrow night (saturday) will present great adventure. im still new at this and learning, practice makes perfect. i respect you guys and the fishing you do because you put in the time...your help lessens the learning curve for us that dont get to get out as much. i wish my handhelds worked to talk to any of you on the lake tomorrow night but they just stopped receiving last winter. my fishing buddy commented later on how everyone was replying to my "hello, hello, hello, hello, hello..." i couldnt get them to receive. i apologized on air if it was sending. it was...embarrassing.

good luck to all tomorrow. i will be putting in at eddy's sometime around 4 to 5.

ive also heard the walleyes are really biting on the river. theres something special about mille lacs though!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Jamison,

Truely awesome. You guys really had it dialed in. Hope to see you up there sometime.

Thanks Tim. No muskies but we did have 6 - 8 northerns last week between 28 - 36".

40" northern on 10/27 around midnight in the NW corner. Broke off 2 more within the hour... Eyes were ok Friday & Sat, 25 Friday b/t 2 boats (5 14-16'!!! smaller baits)& 12 Sat (1 14-16"). Biggest was 26.75". I was a little slow on the switch to gold/black on Sat!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.