• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rutting activity???

bmc

I was in TX last week and bowhunting in Ontario this week, so I haven't been out and was wondering what the rutting activity was like? I hunt north of Grand Rapids. We were on the north side of the Rainy River in between Baudette, MN and I'Falls, but on the Canadian side. Of 5 bowhunters, 4 of us saw bucks that would be Pope and Young. They were more concentrated on feeding than the does. I did have a 140-150" come in to about 25 yds, but it was head on, so not shot opportunity. Just as I'm starting to draw in hopes of him turning broadside, some bucks started fighting to the east of me and Mr. Big lowered his head, started grunting, and took off in their direction to kick some butt! Lots of little bucks out chasing does and acting tough and a few scrapes and rubs around, but not much really. I think the warm weather has them laying low a bit. Any other reports??? My bro is up for the weekend so we're gonna hit it hard. Hopefully I'll be posting some success pics by Monday.

Brian

i'm in SE MN and from what i've seen the chase is on pretty good..i'm seeing alot of bucks of all sizes...it's about primo time to start some agressive tactics...this weekend and next week should be phenominal for buck sightings! i'll be out there thats forsure.

I would think with a cold snap the woods will explode, but today I was walking around in a t-shirt. I think rutting activity goes on no matter what the temp is but right now with daytime temps in the 50-60's most activity is at night especially with a full moon, I did see a deer on a powerline at 3:50 today, despite warm temps. No doubt I'll be in the woods tomorrow, sitting all day. grin.gif

Today saw a buck (little 8 point) out feeding in a food plot with several does. I tought well the chaseing hasn't started yet and about then he puts his head down and runs at the doe and chased her all over then into the woods. So I guess we are getting close.

Coming home tonight 5:30 this eve in the rain, nice 8 pointer feeding with 3 does, and bunch of turkeys in the field too. Watched them for a good 15 min, buck was sniffing ground, and watching the does pretty good, kept chasin 1 doe in particular, he would drop his head, snif around, and then chase up behind her, she would trot off, and look behind her shoulder. this happened about 3 or 4 times, then the buck started feeding. next he ripped his head up and looked behind him, staring intently at the woods. across the field comes NICE 10 pointer, trotting right up 8 pointer starts acting sketchy, and 10 pointer starts sniffing ground pretty hard, and chasing same doe 8 pointer was. they eventually fed further away, and I need ed to get home. Saw 9 more deer on the way home. Drive this route just about every night 1st night i have seen them out this early.

i told you boys it was on.....passed on 3 bucks today and a fat doe....basket 8, forker, and a nubber...the 8 and 4 pointer were chasing the doe around...the nub buck just sat there lol.

we just passed the rutting moon and now it's gonna be cold tomorrow morning! i feel bad for anyone that isn't out in the morning!

They are definatly rutting in Central MN.Went to my property on Friday night 20 scrapes between the trailer and my stand. Buddy shot a nice 8 point, probably the guy making all the scrapes!!!!!

the scrapes are getting opened up.. Spotted the beast, been after him for 2 years now, he's back on the property rubbing and scraping, passed some smaller bucks last 2 years to get this guy. If I don't get him w/ bow, he's going down in firearms.

I also found 20 or so scrapes so I put my camera up by the one that looked to have the most action and this guy has been checking it everyday. Pictures%2FPicture%20175.jpg

I hunted North Dakota this weekend and saw plenty of fresh scrapes. Really didnt see much for bucks chasing but it wont be long now and the bucks will be running hard.

I also noticed that many does have kicked their fawns off.

saw a buck chasing some does in duluth today leaving the island lake boat ramp. grunting and following about 6 does.

In SEMN the bucks are trying to chase and sniff, but the does aren't being too receptive yet. This week should be better.

I was out this last weekend. Saturday I saw two big does each still had two fawns by their side. So no rutting activity yet. Sunday night (last night) I had a nice 6 pointer respond to rattling and calling. He came right up to my decoy. I had some estrous out and it was effective. I'm seeing many scraps and a couple rubs here in SE MN, Zumbro Falls. It should get exciting this week and next. Good luck boys and girls!

Saw about 10 bucks bucks friday thru sunday, 5 were very nice but only one was chasing a doe and he was a smaller one. All the mature bucks were alone and moving with a mission.

We've seen some chasing & cruising around, but it seems to be just starting. There's some scrapes & some rubs, but they're not all over like they will be shortly.

I had a doe bedded in the yard last night when we got home at about 8:00. The doe was bedded and three bucks were standing around her. If they are bachelor grouped, I'm assuming that they aren't hot N heavy yet. Why were they with the doe? One buck was clearly larger than the other two and was just hanging out. I don't think it's quite on yet.

lol sorry but bucks have been out of their bachelor groups for a long time....the reason there was 3 bucks around 1 doe is because she's about to go in heat.

EVERY adult doe we saw in the Lanesboro area last weekend was either alone or with a buck. EVERY fawn/s was/were alone.

We saw just as many or more bucks than does. From forkhorns to toads blush.gif. Fresh scrapes, responses to calls, I haven't been in a woods that hot in a long time! And I STILL couldn't tag out! Two blown opportunities for me. One scent; one motion. I felt like a pretty lame archer.

But congrats to my buddy who I had to coax away from pheasants to come down. He made is first archery kill on Saturday with an injured button buck. [That deaf, dumb and blind one finally made its way to him] grin.gif And his second kill was on Sunday with a 2 1/2 yr old nine pointer!

I was so happy for him and he didn't even give me grief about being dumb! laugh.gif

Definitely, I saw by far the most activity tonight that I have seen so far this year, numerous deer, many bucks, all chasing. Couple nose to the ground. From what I saw tonight, the rut where I am at is really picking up if not full swing.

I second 96 Trig!

I seen more deer active tonight, than any other night I have been grouse hunting! They were all does, but they were every where! A good sign!!!

9 bucks and 28 does i seen on stand today, some of the does might have been the same ones just getting pushed past my stand by the bucks.

the one i wanted was a big typical 14 pointer in the 140-160 range...but the closest he got to me was 60-70 yards....2 border line shooters one was an 8 and the other was a 10, probably in the 110-120 class range...nice bucks but not what i'm looking for.

the other 6 bucks were a bunch of forkers and a six and a basket 8...some of the does could of been nubbers too.

only thing that sucks about tomorrow is the wind...suppose to be gusting up to 40 mph....but thurs and fri look primo right before gun opener...opening weekend if your a gun hunter looks to be bomb.

everyone of them bucks had their noses to the ground and kept bumping the does around all day. the does want nothing to do with them yet but thats what we want as hunters cause anything can happen...be out there. once actual breeding starts you'll have less of a chance to pull a bruiser out from hot does.

The last two nights in the stand have produced nothing as far as bucks go, two does last night and not a deer the night before. I know they are there though, saw 4 or 5 shooters over the weekend. Can't hunt tonight which looking at the wind forecast helps me cope a bit....but plan on a half day on Thursday and an all day Friday sit.

I hunt in zone 4 which is nice in fact that the first gun season is only 2 days. By Wednesday the deer are for the most part back in th routine. So I get a couple decent days in the stand before B starts. I think next week will be the best time for my area the way it looks. I sure wish gun season opened a week later....

I agree, I wish I had a few more days. This year the shotgun season seems to be very early. I have't checked, but last year I thought the rut was going strong the weekend before gun opener. I saw more deer last night than all last weekend put together. More bucks last night than any other night. Too bad they have my stand pegged.

I saw the first chasing I've seen this year. Had a 6 or maybe 8 pointer chase a nice doe by the stand at about 20 yards. The doe was nice. I would have shot her, but I couldn't get them to stop.

Stuck a nice 4 pointer yesterday in Scott C. Not a monster of course but good body weight. It was my first night out but just felt like killing him and I was on the ground so it was cool. Thanks God for partying hunting.

i should mention that all my hunts have been morning hunts, it seems to be either to windy or warm in the evenings lately. but i don't end my morning hunts until noon or 2 lol.

took the day off from hunting today because of the wind...out of all the elements in the outdoors wind is the worst for hunting imo...can't stand it.

looks like it's cooling off alot tonight and the wind is gonna die down to 5-10 mph but is suppose to pick back up to 20-30 mph sometime tomorrow...i got 2 days left to try getting my big bow buck before gun opener so i'm headin out in the morning for a long sit.

breaking out all the tactics, rattling, snort wheeze, growl, the can......if there's a dominant buck in the area he can come get some...woooooooo

ouch it stings!! in my stand at 6:40 and didn't leave until 1:45...broke out every trick in the book and didn't even see a single deer...boy thats a long sit without a sighting...heard something stompin around behind a thicket but thats it...it burns lol

was out cruising with binocs today looking for activity, saw 3 does at 3:25. Even stopped by a deer farm to see how the grunt calls, and bleat can work, hehe, got this one bucked all fired up, a little 6 point, he was on a tear, it was great! Didn't see any activity this eve on the ride home which i found odd, been seeing them out for last couple days. Maybe it is this wind, seems to me windy days are good days to organize a drive.