• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's deer?

snapcrackpop

I just want to reply to 4 eyes wandering that just because u put a good shot on them does not mean that they will not go along ways. My brother shot a 150 class 8 point with a drop last year. He had one shot made it count and I told him to let it set for 1 hour and I would come and help him get it. We did not want to take any chance and push the deer cause we knew it was big and we were on private land and nowone would bother it. We came back and got on great blood right away and we ended up tracking it about a mile and a half. We found the deer dead and when I gutted it he had drilled one lung and knicked the other. Now on a deer with only one lung and a great blood trail that went along ways.

Froggy

Agreed. I started hunting with a .243, and a good shot on a deer would bust though one rib, do a pinball routine inside, and usually not leave an exit hole. made for tough tracking, and the deer would sometimes go 1/4 to 1/2 mile before laying down. gutting said deer was a horror show experience, the cavity was plum full. Now I like a gun with some knockdown and through-and-through power!

Yeah, a deer's adrenaline can keep them moving for quite a while. My dad shot one a few years ago with a 7mm magnum. Took out the heart and one lung. We trailed it for over 300 yards before we finally found it.

I too have shot a deer, through the heart, it shatterd about a quarter of it, we tracked it up a really steep hill, then it ran another 300-500 yards. I do know that just because you hit it good doesnt mean that it will drop. But if it doesnt drop and it runs to someone else, I wouldnt go crying to them saying it was my deer! I am not saying that there isnt any exceptions to this, but if there is any bit of an arguement about it, it goes to the person that dropped it.

From what I have seen, crowding is pretty much a fact of life if you hunt a public hunting area during the deer season...there seems to be a blaze orange suit about every 30 yards. Unless a person is hunting private property... and a pretty sizable tract at that, the thing about having a hunting area to yourself is pretty much wishfull thinking!

Agreed poor wording, symantics, pretty hard is what I meant. Not a flesh wound, going to kill it. Obviously I didn't hit it right where I wanted to, also it may not have been a 1/2 mile it may have been 300-400 yards, it was thick cover I'm not sure & it was a long time ago.

A buddy just shot a doe through both lungs this weekend & she went 300 yards. Some deer simply go farther than others.