Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
BLACKJACK

Chest protectors for Labs?

BLACKJACK

For the second time in three years I came back from SoDak with a lab with her chest cut open from one of the many barb wire fences that they have out there.

Will be going to the vet today to get her 2 inch cut sewed up but was wondering if anybody has tried one of those doggie chest protectors?? How well do they fit and stay on? Where did you get yours? Do they actually help?

Thanks!

jigging-matt

I bought one of the Cabelas Ripstop Vest for my Britt. Seems to fit him pretty good. Have had him wear it while he runs around, but haven't had him wear it in the field. Was worried about him getting to hot. Once it cools down I will have him wear it more. Read the reviews for it on the site, most if not all seemed very positive for the vest. grin.gif

Curly

Check out the one called a Skidplate, they sell them at Mills Fleet Farm I know. I don't think the dog getting too hot would be an issue with this one as I don't think it comes up around on the sides of the dog too much, just protects the chest.

Down2Earth

I think these things work great. The first one I bought was the neoprene vest and in between hunting and returning home my dog chewed it in half while in the pet taxi. He chewed it off right at the front shoulder and the neck. So if you go that route I would say take it off while in the kennel. The next one I bought was the ripstop. I leave it on him the whole day and it's never been a problem.

gonefishin11

I have a skidplate also and I like it. Its very light so my lab won't get too warm. I was told when I bought the skidplate that labs don't need neoprene because of their thicker coat.

LundExplorer

I have one of the neoprene Cabelas and does the job protecting the chest but it has caused some severe chafing in his armpit area 2x now. I have trimmed it to fit better but it still chafes. Pretty bad too. He was walking bow legged in front for a day after this weekend. I am thinking of having some soft fleece like material sewed on around the front leg holes.

LABS4ME

Watch hunting dogs with neoprene vests on! They can very easily overheat! If you want a chest protector, go that route. Save the neoprene for duck hunting. Imagine you wearing neoprene waders when pheasant hunting so you don't get any burrs through you pants... Bet by the end of the day you rethink that option and go with a pair of upland pants.

With that said, you can probably get away with it on cold days, but I'd never risk it when the temps are above 30...

Good Luck!

Ken

Dahitman44

How about those water chest protectors? Do they help for water?

BLACKJACK

labs, you bring up a great point about the overheating!!! That would be my concern with any kind of vest, I know how hard the dogs were panting when we were watering them down after running a few shelterbelts last weekend, but after getting my dog back from the vet - $320 later, I need to do something.

stretch

Quote:

For the second time in three years I came back from SoDak with a lab with her chest cut open from one of the many barb wire fences that they have out there.

Will be going to the vet today to get her 2 inch cut sewed up but was wondering if anybody has tried one of those doggie chest protectors?? How well do they fit and stay on? Where did you get yours? Do they actually help?

Thanks!

i just got back from a 3 day pheasant hunt in south dakota and my yellow lab doesn't have a scratch on her belly at all but her eyes and nose is a didn't story. she has the remmington chest protector for the pas 3 years and it have saved me thousands of dollors in vet bills. it has 3 straps to go over their back. it has a double layer on the chest also. she has many tears on it from the barb wire and sticks poking it. it has been a big life saver for both of us.

the one thing you should not us is a neoprene vest when it's above freezing. it will make the dog over heat very fast.

i got the remmingto vest at scheels for around $25. it's been the best $25 i have ever spent.

311Hemi

Here is the one I used last year.....I did not use it this year. It did chafe a little in the armpits of my dog after a few days but nothing bad. Overall the fit was good though. This is the Skidplate by Mendota.

Picture075_web.jpg

Picture053_web.jpg

MikeYager - Suzuki

I got the nylon one from Cabelas with plastic snap connectors on top. Fits and works great on my golden.