Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Scott M

Thinking of trying deer hunting? Read this.

Scott M    3
Scott M

Not growing up in a hunting family it took me some time to come around to deer hunting. For the average hunter, you can get the necessary equipment cheap enough, most licenses are over the counter, and finding the time on a couple weekends isn't too bad. Field dressing can be done by reading a good book, watching a video, even reading a thing or two on this webiste. But what I believe may be a major hang up for many is what to do with the meat

Well, this problem has been alleviated.

From the DNR news: Deer donated to food shelves will be processed at no cost to hunters this fall, thanks to a new program coordinated by the Minnesota departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Agriculture.

The program will provide venison to those in need while encouraging hunters to help manage the deer herd by harvesting additional animals. Previously, hunters could donate deer to food shelves but had to pay processing costs themselves.

“DNR staff recognizes that ethically, hunters will not take more deer than they can consume,” said Lou Cornicelli, DNR big game program coordinator. “Simply asking someone to take another deer to manage populations provides only half of the picture. The venison donation program was developed to provide hunters an avenue to donate, at no cost to them, the extra deer they harvest.”

Processing costs are being offset through a $160,000 appropriation approved by the 2007 Legislature as well as an increase in nonresident hunting license fees. Hunters may also donate to the program. When purchasing a deer license, hunters will be asked if they want to voluntarily donate $1, $3 or $5 to the program. People can also donate by visiting one of 1,800 Electronic License System agents statewide. This year, a minimum of $280,000 is available to the program and will pay for processing more than 4,000 deer. Additional donations will allow for more processing.

“DNR has been working closely with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture to create a program that is easy for all parties involved,” Cornicelli said.

For more information on donating your deer, click here

The link provides what you need to do to donate and who will take your donation. I hope more people will volunteer to donate both their kill and their money; it will be great to see how this year's effort turns out.

VMS    0
VMS

This is an awesome type of program!! Being that I work in the inner city schools, I see so many kids who's only reason to be at school is for a breakfast and a lunch...that is all they get for nourishment in a day. Anything we can do to help those in need is huge!! Shoot that extra Doe and donate it!!

Steve

DonBo    101
DonBo

Not sure where all the donated venison is going...my shop is right next door to a food shelf and they WILL NOT! take any venison.

Does anyone know for sure what is happening to the donated meat?

Scott K    28
Scott K

I know a jailer and he said the inmates eat venison in the fall.

lcornice    0
lcornice

Quote:

Not sure where all the donated venison is going...my shop is right next door to a food shelf and they WILL NOT! take any venison.

Does anyone know for sure what is happening to the donated meat?

Most of it goes through 2nd harvest for later distribution. While your food shelf may not accept venison, the vast majority are eager to get the meat.

lcornice    0
lcornice

Quote:

This is an awesome type of program!! Being that I work in the inner city schools, I see so many kids who's only reason to be at school is for a breakfast and a lunch...that is all they get for nourishment in a day. Anything we can do to help those in need is huge!! Shoot that extra Doe and donate it!!

Steve

And don't forget to contribute a little money to the program when you buy your license. When you buy your license, the agent is supposed to ask if you want to donate $1, $3, or $5 to the program. If you want to donate without buying a license, you can go to an agent and tell them you want to donate to the program. They can take it from there.

Ely Lake Expert    0
Ely Lake Expert

This sounds like a good program. I will donate when I buy my license, but the what to do with the meat question in the first post. I'm gonna eat it. I love venison. I would like to shoot a couple deer just to have venison year around.

Powerstroke    20
Powerstroke

Your food shelf may not accept venison from a private person because there are way too many variables and uncertainties about fresh meat. I'm sure they would refuse 10;bs of beef too if it was hand packaged.

Many food shelves do accept venison, but it must be processed and packaged by a qualified and reputable meat market to ensure proper handling and clean facilities.

I think this is a great program. Donate to it if you can and I think anyone who donates a deer should offer a $1 to the DNR for helping with this program. It allows all sides to accomplish goals that benefit everyone.

vermilionwally    0
vermilionwally

When i bought my license they didnt ask me if I wanted to donate any money frown.gif.

lcornice    0
lcornice

Quote:

When i bought my license they didnt ask me if I wanted to donate any money
frown.gif

I'm not surprised. It's been a huge problem. If you want to donate, you can do that by going to a vendor and just tell them you want to contribute to the venison donation program. They can process the transaction without a license sale.