• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where's the best bait / prices in Chisago lakes area?

Going up to do a little fishing on North Center this week, but I'm young and limited on funds smirk.gif

Where's a good place to get the best bait for the buck in the area?

Oh, btw, I'm mainly looking for minnows.

Depends on which employee you get them from it seems and when and if they are getting their next shipment of minnows... My guess, they are not selling a ton of minnows now, so you should get a good count just abour anywhere you go. The 3 places I know of are Mikes(or formally mikes on hwy 8), Frankies, and the little place in the swedish strip mall. More often than not, I go to frankies, but buy from the little place some times as well.

The Lindstrom Shell station East of the DQ is the cheapest, and gives you the biggest scoops. They don't "count" the minnows into your bucket.

I was going to say the Shell station, but I figured people would not like me saying that.

Another reason Shell Station is great, because you do not have to run like mad at 5 or 6 p.m. before they close. They are open late! Plus (like said) they give good sized scoups also!

Yep, they got waxies, worms and a nice little selection of "emergency" tackle as well. Not so much a big deal now that the days are shorter, but the hours are great, open early and late. Plus I can get all my goodies and pop at the same time grin.gif

I like Mikes myself because of the availability to the road. Rich the owner is a diehard fisherman and will give you any fishing related info that he knows of in the area to get you on some fish. I also go to Frankies because it is on my way. I can't get much info out of those guys up there but maybe that is because they are guarding their turf. No, just kidding they are very knowledgable about the area lakes and will try to steer you in the right direction as well. Both places are good and it depends on the time of day you run through and how much traffic is on 8. Good luck, give us a report when you get back, welcome ABOARD!

Tunrevir~

I second Mike's bait on 8. Rich and his staff always seem to be in a good mood and are usually out there pounding the water themselves when they can...so they have good reports that they are willing to share. They get their bait from reliable bait vendors that have been in the biz for years and have good bait. There's a liquor store and gas station next door so you can still get all your goodies in one stop more or less.

Thanks for all the info. I'll let you all know how it goes after this weekend. I won't go into details, as it would not be appropriate here, but I originally posted to find somewhere other than Mike's, but thanks to all who posted.

The Shell Station has SUPER BAIT, good service and friendly people too!

North and South Center Lakes are so close...you can hear the fish jumping!

JDB: What part of town do you live in? Frankies is always good. There used to be a bait shop in a small stip mall next to the lake in Center City that had minnows. But I havent fished up in North Center since last spring. Let me know if you have any luck. You might also try Vados Bait in Spring Lake Park. They carry a lot of minnows.

I ended up going to the Shell station. Holy smokes ! They give you a ton of minnows and are cheaper than anyone else. Worked perfect for me. The guy there (owner?) fishes bass tournaments and told me a couple spots to try, and if he was holding back, he must have some really really good spots, because I caught a mess of fish - panfish mainly, but boated a couple nice walleyes, too. And like bait lady said, they were super friendly.

I'll be back. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

During ice season, I all ways give Frankie’s the business! Just because I like to B.S. with him about the area's hot spots and the old foundation of his barn and house when he was a kid! grin.gif

But most times I miss him and doors are locked. That is why I like the Shell station as well! They are open late! They do give you good scoops and the guy (I do not think he is owner) will give good info also.

Good to hear it worked out for ya!

The bait store in the mall in center city, in now the shell station just down from the DQ. I think they have the best bait I buy a scoop of crappies once a week and there is always at least 5 dozen in a scoops.

I don't use Frankies anymore based on one reason. The "Frankies" pro boats on the Chisago area lakes are inconsiderate and pushy to myself and my friends while fishing on the lakes. They have also been rude on the launches. I feel there is nothing worse than the "elite" fishermen on lake treating everyone else like dirt.

Troy--- good to see you posting a little more since the "Appledoorns" get together!... THere have been more than a couple complaints about a few of those guys... I'm not sure I fit the "elite" angler comment. But I do my best to respect everyone at landings... (I dont have a frankies sticker on my boat or truck) But I do have a sparkle boat. grin.gifwink.gif

Deitz,

I'm sure glad I didn't consider myself an "elite angler" up at Appeldoorn's at the Fall Frenzy. Even though I caught 3 Eyes that eve.

Even those who think they know all get humbled on the water at times.

FM is not about being that elite angler and dis-respecting others on the water!!!

There are other words to describe that kind of angler, but I'm not going there!!!

I am not so sure about the fairy dust on the boat Deitz.

Not sure at all.

I will have to meet you on the lake sometime to judge your fishing etiquette, but that would be made much easier if you just invited me along sometime. grin.gif

Deitz would be the last one you would to worry about taking over your fishing spot.

Nothing but CLASS!!! (I just met him at the Fall Frenzy) easy to poke fun at, but a class guy!!!

Yeah, I met him at Appeldoorn's for the Fall Frenzy and share the same opinion - great guy. I am just trying to mooch another trip out of an angler that could teach me a thing or too.

Yiikes.. Blushing!!!!

You guys are too kind! Thanks for the kind words.. TM... We will try and hook up open water next year.

Trying to make time in the next two weeks and catch up with Paul for an eve. Have you been up there sincew the Fall Frenzy???

No sir-- been too busy playing in trees waiting for deer to walk by... I know Rick was just up there and they got some very nice ones!

• 4 weeks later...

I will definitely have to check out the Shell station, but I'll pay whatever Frankie's is charging as long as Brad keeps putting me on the hot bite.

If you can get buddy buddy with Brad he definately has some top secret spots..