Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shorelunch

I saw 136 deer this morning

5 posts in this topic

From 4am to 5am going south from Bemidji to Akeley this morning, I counted 112 deer (yes, one hundred and twelve). I saw 24 from Akeley to Motley. No big herds, just 2-4 at a time (a lot of times!). Thin the herd . . .

I travel 64 from the north end to akeley, the dithches were mowed a couple time and then some rain = lots of deer in the ditches. One must be very carefull. Once the bucks start chasing does there will alot of deer hit by cars.

If one were to want to take a newbie hunter out for their first deer hunt, would there be a decent chance at getting a doe or 2 out of the area?

that is a ton of deer.

Do you think the population is getting bigger and bigger every year now since we dont get the huge snow falls.

I doubt the population is getting bigger. The DNR has lowered the bag to 2 deer from 5 through this area. I assume they base that on deer counts. 112 is a lot of deer to see, but like another poster noted, the ditches are mowed and all the deer come out for something green. Thats a 20 mile stretch of highway and just going back 1/2 mile from each side gives you 20 square miles. If the population is 20 deer per square mile he has seen half the deer.