• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snow for the Deer Opener??

swedishpimple

Accuweather is showing snow for the Bemidji area from Halloween until Nov. 5. I am not sure how reliable this site is that far out, but we may be in for a change this year. First time in many years, lucky for the deer I may miss this one. Child # 1 is expected anywhere from Nov. 3 -10. Great planning by me.

don't think you were thinking about hunting seasons at the time wink.gif, as for snow on the opener, we are up on Vermillion near Cook, I hope your right, its my oldest daughters first season, it sure makes things alot easier. Good luck w/ the little one

I hope they are right. Nothing beats snow on the ground for deer opener. Just as long as it doesn't get as cold as 2001 or 2002 (can't remember which one it was) That was miserable. The trees were popping from the water freezing inside. The lake we were on was open the night before and we were walking on it the next night.

I thought it was 2003 where it was 7 below and snow on the ground. That was crazy. I have never seen so many deer running around. Unfortunately, no big bucks.

OMG, if there is snow on the ground for opener, I will crap myself! I would love for nothing more than to have snow for the opener. It just makes the hunt totally different. The woods dont even look the same! ITs AWESOME! I think it was 2003 that we had snow last. That year I shot three deer in one day! It was sweet.

For me there is nothing better than 40 degrees. While I love the snow for the ability to see better in the woods. I will take 40 degrees, sitting in the stand all day, not getting cold.

There was a study done by the DNR, it showed that there are more deer shot when the weather is warmer on openner, then when there is snow on the ground. They determined that with the warmer weather more hunters, spent more time actually hunting.

Does not matter what the weather will be, I will be on my stand.

Me too, but I sure like to have a day or two of snow to bowhunt before gun season. I looked at the forecast for next week & weekend for Central MN & it's saying snow for Thursday night Nov 1, with highs from there through the weekend in the low to mid 30's. It will be a little chilly, but the hunting should be good. I can't wait.

I'll take the snow and cold. I remember 2003, I think it was below zero one morning. Maybe opening morning.

I think it's more fun with the snow. The mornings do get cold, but if it's warm the afternoons are so warm it can be miserable. I vote for snow and cold.

There isn't anything wrong with snow and cold as long as it's in the 30's around noonish.

I remember that really cold opener in 2003? I'm not sure on the year but it was really cold. It was so cold I couldn't even move my feet inside my boots without this horrible cold metal noise emanating from my stand. I've never been that miserable in a stand. I also didn't see a deer on opener Saturday with it being that cold out.

Sunday was a lot warmer and I wound up taking a really nice buck. It was a lot easier seeing all the deer moving against the snowy background. It warmed up enough though that when the deer we're walking in the snow that you couldn't hear them. It was really quiet.

Ryan

I actually don't want snow for the opener. I like when hunters can't see the deer and let them come to me!

A couple of years ago...a buck and a doe (two different times) came from my neighbor and I shot them both. They had to have walked real close to him...but he didn't see them!

I'll take snow and all the cold i can get. pout fest isn't too far away, so it needs to be cold. also other ice fishing isn't too far away. Artic cold or hell hot, nothing will keep me out of the stand for hunting, opener, or last day of the season.