• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer hunting 07

Thought it might be fun to have some of our forum followers report the happenings at this years deer camp. Stories, sightings, big deer, small deer, the one that got away, the one that didn't, or what have you. It's closing in on the sacred deer camp time, and a time that we as sportsman cherish year in and year out. Looking back over the years the 2 week period which is fast approaching has so many fond memories. Still recalling my first hunt with my dad like it was yesterday. I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt with my dad and 2 close friends. I know a lot of the locals including myself look forward to the deer hunting season for many reasons, and with it fast approaching are all wishing for a bit of a cool down, so we can use some of those warm clothes. I'm not talking below zero mind you, but 50 degrees and rain is overrated. My party consists of a group of 4 guys and we hunt in the Crane Lake area, and can only hope for as great of a hunting year as we experienced last season. Our 2 biggest deer were a nice 9 and 10 pointer! You won't see them when you walk into Cabela's, but nice heavy Northern Minnesota Stompers! I'm sure the trees we hung our deer from were happy for our departure to rest their bending branches! Ha! Really nice to see the steady increase of deer with the mild winters we have been experiencing. Seems we have been on a steady upcycle since deadly winters around 1996? I'll be sure to follow up with our deer hunting trip, and hope you will also! Here's hoping all have a safe and successful season!

RD

You mean you're going to get out of the boat for two weeks Daze. LOL J/K bud! Hopefully the season goes well for everyone. It is quite the experience to be sitting in the woods and in complete silence and all of a sudden a have a deer appear seemingly out of nowhere. Or possibly hearing the thunder of a ruffy explode from the cover in the post-dusk darkness. Nothing beats spending time with the friends and family though, and that to me is what makes these two weeks ever so special. Especially in Mine and Fish and Fowls case where we dont get to see everyone as often as we would like. Hopefully there will be some nice pictures of big deer to follow!

Good Luck Everyone!

I know! I'm trying to stay diversified! Ha! I love the hunt! Good Luck to all! I'm going after the big boy!

RD

OK R.D.,

I GOT ONE FOR YOU THAT WILL GET SOME LAUGHS. MANY YEARS AGO, ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS & I OWNED A COUNTY SHACK LEASE ON THE EAST GEMMEL RIDGE ROAD. WHEN WE BOUGHT THIS LEASE, WE DROVE A 2 WHEEL DRIVE PICKUP TO THE SHACK AS IT WAS DRY, LITTLE DID WE KNOW, WE WOULD NEVER GET THERE BY TRUCK AGAIN, IT WAS ALWAYS WET...REAL WET, SO WET THAT I DON'T EVER REMEMBER MAKING IT TO THE SHACK & NOT GETTING STUCK WITH A WHEELIE BETWEEN 1 & 10 TIMES...WELL ANYWAY, THERE WAS A PIECE OF HIGH GROUND ABOUT 2 BLOCKS FROM THE SHACK, IF YOU COULD GET TRHU THE SWAMP, YOU HAD A GREAT CHANCE OF SEEING DEER. OPENING MORNING ABOUT 1998, I TOLD MY BUDDY ROB, I WAS GOING TO PUT MY WADERS ON, PUT ALL MY WARM CLOTHES IN A DULUTH PACK, AND MAKE THE TREK OVER THRU THE SWAMP, ROB SAID YOUR NUTS! WITH THAT BEING SAID, I STARTED

THE 2 BLOCK WORK OUT, SOME OF THE WATER WAS MAYBE 2" FROM BEING OVER MY WADERS, 45 MINUTES LATER, I ARRIVE UNDER THE STAND, I'M SWEATING LIKE A PIG & SMELLING LIKE ONE TOO. I'M HOT & EXHAUSTED., ITS MAYBE 5 MINTUES FROM LEGAL SHOOTING HOURS. I TAKE OFF MY SUSPENDERS...HEAR WHAT I THINK IS A BRANCH BREAK...I LISTEN BUT THINK IT MUST BE A LITTLE CRITTER. I PULL OFF MY WADERS., OOO ITS CHILLY...I HERE ANOTHER BRANCH BREAK...THAT HAS TO BE DEER., SO I GRAB MY GUN, WAIT MAYBE 2 MINUTES, HEAR NOTHING... I TAKE OFF MY SOCKS & T-SHIRT, NOW I'M DOWN TO MY BREIFS...ONLY & AT THIS POINT MY FAT RESERVES ARE NOT HELPING ME IN THE WARMTH DEPARTMENT...I HEAR ANOTHER BRANCH BREAK...HERE COMES A DEER WALKING DOWN A SHOOTING LANE, I GRAB MY GUN...IN MY SKIVVIES...ONLY, I FIND THE DEER IN MY SCOPE...NICE 6 POINTER. I SQUEEZE OFF, DROP HIM...PUT SOME CLOTHES BACK ON, THEN MY WADERS., GO GUT OUT THE DEER., GO BACK TO THE SHACK., WHERE I FIND ROB SITTING IN THE SHACK HAVING COFFEE CAUSE IT WAS COLD., HE SAID YOU MUST HAVE NOT MADE IT ACCROSS. I TOLD HIM MY STORY...HE WOULDN'T BELIEVE ME, SO I ROLLED UP MY SLEEVES & SAID THIS ISN'T MY BLOOD.

WE SOLD THAT SHACK ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO, AND NOW HAVE A SHACK NEAR INDUS, WHICH WE DRIVE TOO. I REALLY DON'T MISS THAT OLD SHACK. I HATE (HATE) MICE, WHICH THE 1ST YEAR WE CAUGHT 87 IN 3 DAYS. I DIDN'T LIKE THE GAPS IN THE HAND BUILT LOG SHACK, IT WAS 40 DEGREES OR LIKE DEATH VALLEY FOR SLEEPING., I DIDN'T LIKE CONSTANTLY GETTNG STUCK. ANYWAY I HAVE 30 YEARS OF DEER STORIES, BUT THIS IS MY FAVORITE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Dave in his skivies...thats a vision I never really thought would be in my head...anyone know a good shrink...I think i'm scarred.... grin.gif

HEY VITAL,

GOOD ONE! FIGURED THAT WOULD GET SOME HUMOR GOING.

THE FISH

HEY B.B,

WENT BACK TO THE SHACK, WAITED UNTILL WHEELIE HOURS., PUT THE WADERS BACK ON & WALKED BESIDE THE 4 WHEELER (2 OF US), ATTEMPTING TO KEEP THE MACHINE ON CLUMPS IN THE BOG. AT ONE TIME THERE HAD BEEN A LOGGING TRAIL GOING OVER THE BOG AREA, BUT THE ROAD ITSELF WAS UNDER WATER...SOME OF IT TOP OF THE WADERS DEEP., ON EITHER SIDE OF THE WATER, CLUPS OF BRUSH HAD GROWN UP, SO IT WAS EASIER TO WALK IN THE WATER, HOWEVER WITH A 4 WHEELER, YOU COULD GO OVER THE BRUSH WALKING SLOWLY BESIDE THE MACHINE. LETS PUT THIS WAY, IT WAS A 2 HOUR PROJECT GETTING THE DEER BACK TO THE CAMP, WHEN REALLY IT WAS ONLY A COUPLE BLOCKS AWAY. I DON'T THINK THESE DAYS I WOULD BE UP FOR THAT CHALLENGE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Can't sleep! Must be Deer hunting time! Nice story Fishmeister! I'll add my hunting "Union Suit" story for all to enjoy. Several years ago we hunted off the Gold Mine road behind a gated entrance in which we had owned a parcel of land and also built a cabin. Yep lots of mice there too! Of course I was never known to hunt anywhere close, so even though we literally hunted in the middle of nowhere, and owned close to 300 acres of land I still found it necessary to hunt another 2 miles from our cabin out in some Superior National Forest land "BIG BOY COUNTRY". One of our hunting party members was notorious for making his easy in easy out breakfasts, but I was in too much of a hurry to take care of business back in our cool biffy as I had a long walk to my stand. I headed out down some of the old logger roads, and then down my personal trail towards my stand. As always about the time I arrived to my stand I knew something was going to give, and no matter how I tried to talk myself out of it I was soon frantic climbing back down my stand. Always being a scent freak I wanted to take care of business as far away from my stand as I could. It was real cold that opening morning in fact many will remember the season as it was 11 below zero. I was wearing every piece of hunting clothing I brought along. As I hustled ever so quietly to a unloading location I began to realize that I was wearing my union suit under many many layers of clothing. Not trusting my aim I decided taking a shot through the "ONLY FOR THE BRAVE" trap door could prove to be a long day, so began peeling off many layers of clothes. It was getting light at this point and needless to say I was not very happy, but in a hurry nonetheless. At this point I had all my hunting clothes hanging in small shrubs all around me trying to keep them off the ground. Finally nearly in the buff I was able to get rid of the breakfast in which we always kidded our Deer hunting mother hen that we could have brought out to the biffy and dumped to save time. In the middle of the deal I heard some noise coming down the trail in which I was Playing Matt Birk for the Minnesota Vikings! Being a "Hunter" I had my rifle close by. Unfortunately I noticed blaze orange sneaking down my trail. I was astonished to see anyone back where I was! As the figure approached the fellow must have thought I shot a deer seeing my blaze orange and literally every other article of clothing hanging in the brush and me basically naked. He hollered "Get One!" I was quite embarrased to have to repy "Nope just getting rid of one" Also wish I would have been more clear as he decided to come for a closer look. The look on his face was priceless! I didn't have time to explain myself, but I bet he is still telling his deercamp about the guy that got naked to relieve himself. Sir if your listening that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

RD

One more work day then I'm heading to the shack Friday!!!! grin.gif

I love this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck guys and be safe.

RainyDaze,

Great story and LMAO!! Reminds me of a hunt out west with my father in law and he came back in without his t-shirt & no socks.. grin.gif

Well back from deer camp!

Here's my story! Arrived to my stand about 1 hour before legal shooting hours. 2 hours after light I had a doe come up the ridge over my back right shoulder. Ended up letting her walk away. About 45 minutes later in a opposite direction I spotted a big body heading down another ridge. I picked him up in the scope seeing he was a 8 pointer. He began to run down the ridge about 70 yards out, and I knocked him down with my second shot. I stayed in my stand as I had a doe tag, and hoped there was a doe along with him. Better yet about 10 minutes later on the same route stomps out this 10 pointer. He too begins running down the ridge only this time I missed him on two running shots. He made his way throught the crap only to walk directly out in front of my stand. He began grunting and stomping about 30 feet from me in the wide open. I slowly lined him up in the scope only to here a click when I pulled the trigger. Now it gets interesting. I remember I had left my extra clip in my backpack which was laying at the bottom of my stand, and unfortunately had forgot to load my last shell after clicking one in the chamber. GRRRR! I remembered as he is stomping around me that I had the 1 shell in my pocket. I slowly dropped my clip in my lap, and proceeded to hand load my single 270 cartridge. Just as I was about to close the action he spotted me and looked me straight in the eyes! I thought well here goes I slammed my action shut and lined him up in the scope as he stands proud only 30 feet from me broadside. I dropped him in his tracks! Opening morning 07 with a respectable 8 and 10 pointer laying on each side of my stand. Lastly on Tuesday it was time for us to head home, so I hunted the morning with a couple close calls. I brought my quad out around 12:00 to take my portable down. I left my gun on my quad as I wanted to attempt to get the ladder and the top down in one trip. I was heading through the crap with the top on my head and the ladder over my shoulder. I am literally crashing through the branches and under brush when I heard something in front of me. I had to lift my stand off my head to see forward only to witness another nice 8 pointer walking directly at me only 50 feet away. I watched him literally wander off down the ridge and to the other side as if to taunt me. Unbelievable! Good Hunting Guys and Gals!

image.jpg

RD

Nice deer Daze! Nothing to be ashamed of there! Hunting was good in our neck of the woods too. I saw a real nice buck 20 minutes into season, but no shot. After passing up a few opportunities on saturday, I finally decided to take a doe at about 175-200 yards just to get a little something for the freezer. My girlfriend shot a nice 7-pointer about an hour into season. It was walking broadside when she decided to take it. She grunted at it to get in to stop and the deer turns and starts trotting towards her looking for a fight! My uncle harvested a Big 7 on Tuesday morning. He shot it at abougt 50 feet on a field edge. I can't wait to see it. It dressed at 185-195 pounds and has some nice mass to it from what I hear.

I will keep you guys posted. I am heading up next wednesday night and duck hunting thursday morning, but then back out to the shack to fill my last tag. Hopefully that big boy comes back to visit me!!!

I'm waiting to hear from Fish & Fowl - heard he got the grandaddy.

RD - I haven't even seen 2 bucks like those in your picture in the same season although I missed (don't ask me how) a decent 8 opening morning and then went on to score on 2 smaller ones which were tougher shots than the one missed. Go figure.

Fish and Fowl did shoot a nice buck, definately worthy of a wall mount!

I just got off the phone with my uncle. He shot an 11-pointer that dressed out at 200 lbs this morning. He had a 22 inch inside spread, 5inch brows, and 12 inch G2's. I will hopefully get the pics so I can post them soon!

I can't wait to get back up there and do some more huntin'!

Wow that sounds like a nice buck! Post pics when they are available. I'm making sausage now. A few years back a buddy,my dad and I went together to purchase all the processing equipment. Must admit it was a bit spendy, but now we are able to do our own stuff. I believe it was partly to do with the CWD scare. Fortunately the fishing queen likes steaks and chops! I guess she'll have to go to deer camp to try hanging tenderloins. Good Hunting guys this weather is great for producing that big buck this year. I only wish I'd stayed a few more days at camp!

RD

The sausage making process is definately worth it!

1.) I don't like paying for someone else to do it.

2.) You can manage the quality of the sausage. By quality I mean in how you process the meat and the different spices that you can personally add.

3.) Its fun!

We have made brats, polish, fresh italian, potato saugage, hot links, summer sausage, chorizo, and breakfast sausage just to name a few. My new one for this year is maple bacon, venison-wildrice burgers. It's basically the most amazing burgers that I have ever had! I can't wait!!!!

WOw!

That sounds like some good stuff. I'd love to get my hands on a few of those recipes to try out. I basically just make summer sausage, but would have the equipment to do other things as well.

RD

I still can't believe it! Nice deer F&F!!! What a bruiser! Congrats again!

Hey daze if you want a recipe or two just let me know. I will be home this weekend and we'll be making some sausage on sunday.

You 'da man G Man!

Would the rifle be a Ruger Mark II model 77? That's what I shoot - unfortunately it's never held on a buck like that laugh.gif

HEY R.D & G.K.,

NICE BUCKS GUYS, G.K. DON'T FORGET TO CREDIT MR.B, FOR TEACHING YOU YOUR HUNTING & FISHING SKILLS...YOU LEARNED FROM THE BEST.

WHATS IRONIC IS I ALWAYS THOUGHT I PASTED ALL THOSE TRAITS TO MY SON SHAWN, BUT I GUESS I FAILED TO TEACH HIM ONE LESSON, LAST FRIDAY SHAWN SHOT A 6 TO 8 POINTER WHILE WALKING. LESSON #1,(ONE I THINK (KNOW) I TAUGHT HIM) BUT HE FORGOT...WHEN YOU SHOOT A DEER...WAIT A HOUR BEFORE YOU GO LOOK FOR HIM. HE SHOOTS & STARTS AFTER HIM, SHAWN FIGURES HE TRACKED THAT DEER 10(TEN) MILES, HE GOT LOST, ALSO LOST HIS CELL & MY WOOL COAT. LET ME TELL YOU, HE ENDED UP AT A SHACK A LONG WAY FROM OURS, SO HAPPENS A GUY WHO COMES INTO HARDEES EVERY MORNING. PERRY GAVE SHAWN A RIDE BACK TO OUR SHACK., SO WE GOT TO HEAR THE INFAMOUS STORY., DAD HE SAID, I BET I SAW A DOZEN DEER. THE DEER HE WOUNDED LEFT POOLS OF BLOOD...IF HE WOULD HAVE ONLY LEFT THAT DEER BE...HE COULD HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE ONE HE GOT, NOT THE ONE HE WOUNED, BUT I DID THE SAME THING MAYBE 20 YEARS, SO MAYBE I DID TEACH HIM.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Nice Deer F&F! Thats a crazy (odd) tall rack! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that? Big deer too! Congrats once again! Hope he got a little love in before you lined him up. Those are the genes you'd like to see passed on.

Thanks guys! I was pretty pumped to say the least, and he actually was bigger than I thought when I shot him, which was great and completely opposite of what usually happens.

FM,

Sorry to hear about Shawn and his deer, it's hard to fight the excitement and adrenaline and wait for the deer to lay down and die, but if you don't see him go down it's a must. Glad he was able to find another shack and not spend the night out there!

Uffda,

I'm shooting a Browning A-Bolt .280. She's been a good gun and has done its job every time, but that's definitely the biggest deer it's seen so far grin.gif

Nice Deer F&F. That is the biggest 8 pointer I have ever seen. Glad to here some of you are getting deer. From everyone I have talked to it has been a quiet season. Our area has a lot of wolf sign, not good. Out of our shack there has been only 3 does and a spike seen all season. Glad to here Shawn found a shack FM. It is important to sit and wait after you shoot. About 5 years ago my wife shot a big one. Her dad was hunting in a stand close to her. So when he heard the shots he ran over to her stand. They were both so excited they started tracking it right away. There was so much blood they thought for sure they were going to find it. They kept it running if front of them for a couple miles, then all of a sudden it stopped bleeding and they lost it. From my experiences, if you give them a 1/2 hour to a hour, they always bed down and bleed out.

O.K. guys heres a story for ya! I've got a doe tag to fill, so have been doing a little bow hunting. Can't get myself out of the woods I guess. I've of course been seeing bucks since I only have a doe tag to fill. The otherday I'm sitting on my stand, and it gets to be that time when I do my test draw to see if I can still pick up my pins. I see it is too dark, so head down my stand. Of course during my sit I have noticed a couple of trees that need some dead limbs knocked down when I'm done, so climb down and set my bow on the ground and start swinging big log at these branches knocking them off one by one. It is really getting close to dark now. As I'm stumbling around crashing and snapping dead branches I suddenly hear something bearing down on me. Not just easing towards me either! This thing is coming hard right at me. Out of flat out defense I get to my knees trying to locate my bow! As if this is going to help? It was either the bow or my knife. Know I'm trying in the near dark to get my bow upright fumbling and twisting it around. Finally I'm set up. This noise sounds like it is right on top of me now. As I presumed I have a "BIG BUCK" ready to kick my doe hunting ***. As I peer over this little dip I'm huddled in I see a monster buck merely 15 feet away from me. Actually isn't looking all that friendly either! I startle him and he jumps about 10 feet and then stops and stares at me. Foolish as I am I reach for my grunt tube and get a little lower and grunt a few times ripping at the leaves. He seems very confused and starts back towards me grunting and stomping! I quickly stopped my bluff laying my cards on the table and stood up as he merely stomps aways slowly! Crazy! All my years of rattling with antlers and rattle bags with limited success, and here in the middle of November I accidentally call in a trophy looking to defend his territory! Apparently he knew he was safe!

RD