Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
stick

How To Seal Up Older Otter Fish-house

stick    0
stick

I have an older (5 years or so) Otter fishhouse, and back then, their design utilized a shock-cord that hooked in the general area of where your feet go. Sort of like a belt around the sled. Now, they have gone to the plastic sleeve that slides on the edge of the sled. This new design seals up the sled considerably better and there is much less heat loss. I learned this by fishing a bit out of my buddies house last year. I couldn't keep mine warm, and his house was toasty. We both had the same heater, and this caused me to look into mine. When I put my hand down where the canvas meets the sled, there was a ton of cold air moving through. I do realize that I can pile up snow all around the sled, and I normally do in a few areas, but this can be a pain.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Shack    16
Shack

I just stretched bungee shock cord all the way around (by-passed drilled hook holes) and used a small heavy duty green hunting bungee to connect the two ends of shock cord! Holds it very tight!

I know this was a big flaw in design! If one really wanted to correct this issue, you could connect canvas to sled all the way around with some sort of hog ring or clip every 6-12 inches!

I wonder if otter sells an upgrade kit. I have not been in a newer one yet!

stick    0
stick

I'll have to try that. I'm planning on talking to Otter at the ice-fishing show to see if they have an upgrade kit.

Thanks for the comments.

Gissert    17
Gissert

I had one where the shock cord was gone. I bought some cheap spring clamps at Northern, ans that worked pretty well.

nytelyter    0
nytelyter

my thoughts on this would be. first add foiltex to the inside of your otter. wow i cant tell ya the difference it made. secondly get some GOOD 3m two sided adhesive tape. buy the best, not the cheap stuff. and be sure to stick it right the first time cause it is a pain to remove. run it along the whole lip where the canvas attaches to the sled rim. stich the canvas on and as mine has the push pins. replace the pins. i have the foiltex and will be sticking my canvas before ice this year. be sure to clean the rim and canvas with a good cleaner before doing this and it will probably never have to be done again. ... paul

Shack    16
Shack

I just thought of a good idea, not that nytelyter's idea was not good cool.gif.

Buy your self a snap kit with tool. You could put snaps all they way around on canvas and outside lip on sled.

I have seen snap kits with tool at Unclaimed Freight for cheap.

These are the snaps like on your jeans and boat covers.

Drill some holes, pop snap in and crimp top and bottom! That way canvas cover is removable as well!

Good luck!

Dave    3
Dave

Some guys have replaced the plastic rivets with bolts and nuts. On my plastic rivet model, I got some of the lip strips from Otter and had a canvas company sew them on, just like the newer models.

It's quite possible to upgrade to the lip strips from the old bungee corded model but careful planning on where to sew the strips on would have to be done as the canvas is cut different I believe.

Have you tried to tighten the bungee cord tighter?

stick    0
stick

I think my best first step is to tighten the bungee strap as tightly as possible. I should be able to cut out much of the gaps that way.

iffwalleyes    0
iffwalleyes

Don't change from the bunge cord design. That is still the best idea. It allow for the most forgivness. The rivit and trim loc don't alow as much for stretch which can lead to tears. I had one and now have on new one with the trim loc. I never noticed a big diffence on heat loss but I would tighten up the bunge and stick with it as that is still a really good design. I kind of wish they had not change it.

Northlander    71
Northlander

Until a big wind comes and rips it off the sled. Not fun trying to get the canvas back on in the wind. shocked.gif

iffwalleyes    0
iffwalleyes

Hey I fished with that house in ND I know what a large wind can do grin.gif. I know a thing or two about fishing in the wind. That is why I like my house to have some give rather that than rip blush.gif. It sucks worst having your house get torn up by the wind.

Northlander    71
Northlander

Oh ya ND wind. I was on Devils Lake one winter and stepped out of the 1 man Otter to go get some more waxies and turned around and saw my house tumbling down the lake. Jumped in the truck and chased it down. Man was my gear hard to find. Now I have ice anchors.