• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rules and Lakes that you CAN'T Spear on

bassNspear

Here are some likes that will help out people that are looking for some great information.

Rules: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/spearing/index.html

Here is a list of lake in the State of Minnesota that you Can Not Spear on!!

Baby(Cass County)

Bald Eagle(Anoka, Ramsey and Washington Counties)

Beers(Otter Tail County)

Big(Beltrami County)

Big Mantrap(Hubbard County)

Cass (Beltrami and Cass Counties)

Cross and its Snake River Flowage(Pine County)

Deer(Itasca County)

Eagle(Hennepin County)

Forst(Hennepin County)

Libbs(Hennepin County)

Mille Lacs(Aitkin,Crow Wing and Mille Lacs Counties)

Minnetonka(Hennepin and Carver Counties)

Moose(Itasca County)

North Star(Itasca County)

Owasso(Ramsey County)

Peavey(Hennepin County)

Rebecca(Hennepin County)

Rush(Chisago County)

Spider(Itasca County)

Stieger(Carver County)

Sugar(Wright County)

Tanager(Hennepin County)

Wabedo(Cass County)

West Battle(Otter Tail County)

Great info!

I like you signature too, take a kid spearing.

I took my wife spearing...and now I have to share the fish house or she will have to buy her own. grin.gif

that is also correct. make sure the lakes that you are out on spearing, that you know the rules.

• 4 weeks later...

I am taking up spearing for the first time in my life. Last year I got to sit in a spear house since I was 10 years old. I could not believe what I was missing, not only fish that you could spear but fish you could angle as well. It brings sight fishing into a whole new light. I can't wait.The best part is my dad gave me about 35 decoys that he hasn't used in years

• 1 month later...

Quote:
Rules for taking fish from lakes opened to liberalized fishing:

The lakes are only open to liberalized fishing for a short time period. So check the dates on posted signs or in local newspapers.

You are required to have a resident angling license to take fish on liberalized lakes.

You may take fish in any quantity for personal use from lakes opened to liberalized fishing.

You may sell rough fish.

You may take fish by spear, gillnet, or angling (check each lake at the access site, gillnets may not be allowed at all lakes).

You may not use seines, hoop nets, fyke nets, or explosives to take fish.

All trespass laws are in effect and you should abide by them when accessing lakes.

Do not leave any trash or litter on the lakes and take home all fish that are caught.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/liberalized/index.html

Does this mean that you can spear without a spear licence on these lakes?

That is the way I understand it. confused.gif

you have to have a spearing licence if you are going to go out and spear a fish.

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
you have to have a spearing licence if you are going to go out and spear a fish.

Do I need a gillnet licence if I want to take them by gill net then? confused.gif

I assume you can spear any fish on these lakes too? confused.gif

i beleieve the only fish you can spear in the state of mn is pike or any ruff fish

So if I'm understanding this correctly, on liberalized fishing lakes you can take any species of fish through means of spearing? Interesting.

The DNR opens a lake to liberalized fishing when they start dying out from lack of oxygen in the water. All you need is a fishing license and you can take as many fish as you want in about any way you want, short of explosives. You don't need a spearing license to spear fish on these lakes and you can spear any species you want.

I have been on some lakes where the oxygen is soo low that you can just cut a hole and they swim up into the hole and you can dip net them out.

The lake has to be opened by the DNR for liberalized fishing before these rules apply.

spearchucker is right you usually see that in years with lots of ice on smaller lakes when the oxygen starts to get low the DNR will open them up and you can get in there and start reducing the fish population. In the past it is like everything else for me you should have been here yesterday

this is correct. this is the information that i recieved from the DNR tonight.

If I was spearing with a friend in the house, who didnt have a license or a spear, could we also have two tip-ups set up outside?

If he doesn't have any license at all, you could only have one tip-up outside. This would be your second line. If he has a fishing license, you could have a total of three tip-ups outside.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: glenn57
thought for a minute id have to call in sick another day! hehehe

There is still hope

Quote:

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA Regulations

Rough fish may be taken by spearing, archery, and dip-netting during

daylight hours from April 28, 2007 through March 2, 2008. Dip net

hoops cannot exceed 24 inches in diameter.