• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Recent Rooster Reports

Snag

Five of us hunted a giant public cattail slough in Murray county on Saturday. We shot seven roosters and didn't really miss any or lose any. We actually thought we would see more as this place has a history of really holding the birds but there really wasn't as much sign or birds spotted as expected. No doubt we were going by birds though because towards the end of the hunt we really slowed down our pace and that's when you would be standing in a spot for three minutes and all of a sudden a hen would jump out five yards away. That was with three dogs also. The birds we shot were in really nice shape with lots of fat on them. Like that cattail hunting though with the buddies beards all froze up and earning every bird you shoot. Still plenty of them out there just a little harder to put in the gamebag.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 123fish

• grab the net

• 2thepointsetters

• 2 DA GILLS

Went out Sat. for 4 hours and hit about 4 or 5 small spots. 2 of us got only one bird as we were not catching the birds in the areas we hit. We did see about 50-60 birds with 30 roosters. All the birds were either in the fields scratching or hunkered down by woody fence rows. Of course the birds were behind "No Hunting" signs and in fields but it was still nice to see the birds. That bird was tastey fried up like chicken strips last night. Yum!

Was out Fri afternoon late and got two birds, timed it just right, they were in the cattails for the evening. Went out again Sunday for three hours with another guy and got two birds, but we worked to get them!!! Saw lots but we should have had a third guying posting, seems like they'd be flying out the far end before we got half way thru.

I don't use the dog booties, its seems like if you're into birds, the dogs just keep on trucking and the cold doesn't bother them.

For my hands I've started using the handwarmers in my gloves, they're flat enough so they fit in without affecting my shooting. I also have a longer pair of leather gloves with cuffs, paired with longer sleeved shirts, eliminate the bare gap on your arms!! Also, it seems like the cold hands is only a problem that first half hour, once you get warmed up from walking, they're ok.

Got 1 yesterday South of St Cloud on an impromptu pheasant hunt...just threw the gun in the truck and went driving around. Found birds flying all over place into the cat tails around my duck hunting pond. This bird acted like it was born yesterday....got up out of range, then flew behind me into the grass about 50 feet away....walked up to it, saw it sitting in the snow, it jumped up, bang.

Went looking for more - found a field with about 2 dozen birds in it picking in the snow on the edges of the waterways and fence rows. I drove down the road to get permission from a guy that has let me hunt before. He wasn't home...I stopped at his brothers house...he wasn't home....drove back by the field....dang pheasants all over the place. I went home frustrated - called the landowner to leave a message....his son answered. When I told him what I wanted he said "what the heck do you want to go out there for - it's freezing!". I made the mistake of saying there were a bunch of pheasants feeding in the field - he took my number and said his dad would call me back. 2 hours later, no call so I just went driving around to kill the last 90 minutes of daylight. Guess who is in the waterway flushing pheasants everywhere - YEP, the kid I talked to on the phone! AAAAGH!! It's thier ground, do what you want, it just irritated the crap out of me that I tipped them off!!!! Lesson learned...BE QUIET! grin.gif

10:00

Doing the usual drive-around-the-farm-on-the-roads scout I noticed pheasants, many pheasants, picking at the corner of an old soybean field 10 feet from where I hunt. I do have permission to hunt the open, flat soybean field, but how do you hunt that? The best I can do is sneak approach the area from the south through brushy land and hope they flush into the land I hunt. Despite my best efforts to sneak close, I'd guess they spooked when I was 150 yards away. Birds flew in all directions, some going onto the land I hunt, many others flying onto the neighbors property to the SW.

The rest of the hunt I flushed (likely re-flushes) lots of hens. They seemed to be everywhere. Toward the end of the hunt I bagged one rooster. Dog nosed him, flushed him, and retrieved him! Then kicked up one more rooster after the one I bagged, and I thought I had that rooster, too. After the first shot he went limp and started to drop from flight, only to regain his composure before hitting ground, made a couple flaps of his wings, and then coasted onto land that I cannot pass on. It is very well posted land of an unpleasant neighbor. mad.gifmad.gif I HATE crippling and losing game. I have passed on many birds, because I could not guarantee that they would drop where I could retrieve them. This one, I didn't put a 2nd shot to it right away, because I thought it was going down, darn it.

A couple weeks back, for the first time, my dog returned to me a crippled bird. Hopefully, IF this bird is crippled it'll wonder over to my property, and the dog will get him!

The one rooster that I did bag had a throat, or whatever it's called, full of corn. hmmmmmm The hunting property had soybeans around it this year. I shot the rooster near a different neighbors(nice, friendly neighbors) yard. There is also many new tracks in the snow near their yard. I'm pretty confident they are putting out some corn to help the birds out. Didn't really help that one on my dinner plate, though!

Started out the morning at about 10 am around my house near glencoe. I hit my first spot dog was on a lot of scent but no birds. Found tracks heading to another draniage ditch and followed them. My black lab jumped down into the bottom of the ditch and flushed one rooister. I couldnt believe how fast my dog locked onto the scent and flushed it. I got that one. I felt that I should hit the same clump again because my dog kept working back there. I couldn't believe my eyes when a second rooster jumped out of the same clump that my dog got the first one out of. i wanted a little excersise today from coming home from college for break but this was pretty neat for me because the dog tracked, flushed and retreived like I we trained him to do which is the best thing to me when you are out in the field. Hope to get out again a couple more times becuae there are plenty more birds out there to chase! I hope everyone elses year has been as successful as my hunting parties has been.

Bustin roosters out of the snow makes for a great christmas gift for the dog and you!

The dog and I went out for 3 hours this afternoon into a giant public cattail slough. She probably put up 30-40 birds of which one, yes, one was a rooster. I was so used to seeing a hens flush that I blew the shot. Suprisingly the deeper into the cattails we got the fewer flushes and tracks we saw. There were a suprising number of birds in the shorter prairie grass but they could see you coming from a long ways off.

What a great day for a late season hunt. I did a little exploring and tried some new public ground today. The first spot had numbers, but no roosters. Still fun to have the dog pin down some late season birds. He had some real nice points, but only hens. I had at least 10 hens that were flushed at less than 10 yards and probably another 50 that got up at a greater distance. It was time to move on to a new spot. After a little more exploring, found another nice looking spot. I knew I was in for some fun when the dog was on point before I even step off of the road. 20 birds flushed within the first 20 feet of walking. One was a rooster and I fired off 2 clean misses. Within 15 minutes the dog was on point in some willows. Had to step on that rooster to get him to fly. I missed again! It was a tough shot even though it exploded at my feet. Too many willows in the way. Hit the major portion of cattails and saw at least 100 birds in the next half hour. It was pretty incredible. Lots of wild flushes in the distance, but some held tight (hens). When we got to the back side of the cattails. A wild flushing rooster, but he was close enough. I finally connected and the dog finished it off with a nice retrieve. Within 5 minutes, the dog's on point again. I circle around to come straight in on his point. A hen bursts from the cattails. I pause of 15 seconds and take a step forward. A rooster comes out to the right and crosses behind me. First shot - I miss! Only one shell remaining, but I get the proper lead and fold the bird. While I focus on this bird, birds are flushing all around me. I did not see how many, but I several more roosters got out around me.

After getting home, I realized that it is the dog's birthday, he turned 3 today. I think he enjoyed his birthday, even though his face and ears are a bit rough looking from all the cattail work today.

It was prolly the best weekend ever of hunting roos in MN for me. Unbelievable. I have good thick cover and all the birds congregated on our land. Wow. 2 guys, 4 birds Sat on a great hunt in the willows. Tough hunting, but extremely enjoyable. I really value a rooster shot in those conditions. Sun 3 guys 6 birds in less than an hour. Saw more birds than ever before on that place. I told the wife I am gonna finish the year with a flurry as this is the best roo hunting I have ever seen...and I have hunted Kansas, Iowa, SD, ND, and MT numerous times each.

If you can get out folks, drop everything and go.

Been out the last 2 days on public land cattail sloughs and have flushed well over 100 birds, all but one was a rooster. The dog is finding lots of birds but all are hens. So it must be just the wise old birds left on some of the public land. The one rooster that flushed had a hanging leg and we got him. Tough going although great work and lots of scenting for a young dog.

A month after the season's over there will be ten roosters feeding next to those areas that seem to be barren right now. Those roosters are just that smart at this point in the season.

went out Monday Afternoon with the dog for a few hours, Saw quite a few roosters, but they were really flushing early. The Dog worked very good. locked up on a small pile of grass, That I thought I could see thru. After laughing that there was no bird there and kicking it a couple of times and no flush, I gave it one last kick and WOW, big Rooster gets up. By the time I got set to shoot, missed twice. Did notice the birds leg was dangling. Dod looked at me like "I told you so". That will teach me. grin.gif

Birds are out there but are really wild.

I have hunted mostly public land this fall and the roosters are now tough to get even with good dogs. Shooting plenty of birds but it takes much sweat (even though I am just wearing two wicking long underwear shirts and a hooded sweatshirt in 18F weather) and later leg cramps. crazy.gif

Private land is certainly much easier, especially if you can access a spot or two that has not been hunted much. Knocked on many doors one day last week and got one yes. We had four birds down in a matter of minutes. smile.gif

At this point one wonders if time is better spent knocking or walking smile.gifconfused.gif

I have been seeing lots of hens and even they are jumpy on the public stuff I hunt. My most recent sucess has been after about an hour and fifteen minute drive. Seems like more birds and not as many hunters in the area. Public stuff around my neck of the woods look like a herd of cattle have gone through the cattails. Easy walking, but not so many roosters anymore. Hard to believe, only a few days left. Going SW for Christmas, hope to sneak away for a couple of short hunts while there.

I went today on to some public land and we didn't put any birds in the bag but we shot at four roosters and saw a bunch of hens. There was only one group of three hens the rest were just singles. I thought we did pretty good for late season public land.

Got one out of a road ditch yesterday. He got up a bit behind me and was quickly disappearing with the 30 mph northwest wind and I just whirled around and shot. Rolled him right down the gravel road. My best shot of the year hands down.

Hunted Sat. on public cattails and for the first time this year did not bring home a bird. I only got up 1 skittish hen 100 yards in front of me. I wasn't able to find the pocket of birds this time. The snow is crusty now and the dogs feet got a little cut up. One or two more times left this season. One a side note I have a pheasant stroganoff cooking in the crock pot for tonights meal. Yum Yum tongue.gif

Hunted a giant of a public cattail slough for three hours yesterday. Had one sort of chance that probably should have made. Saw lots of hens with the dog catching one (I hate that). Did see a few roosters but they were very skittish and flushed well out of range. fivebucks was right on about the snow being crusty and I think the birds were keeping track of where I was at all times. I do believe that was the longest I have ever hunted this place with out actually getting a bird. Oh well part of the plan was to burn some calories that have been packed on over the last few days and that goal was definitely accomplished. Will give it another try in a little bit.

More birds and less exercise this morning. Saw five roosters and a hen feeding in some chisel plowed corn at 8:55 a.m. Came at them in a direction that would push them into some nearby weeds which worked. Dog pushed one up and I dropped a leg on him and missed the second shot and he flew across the highway and landed in a harvested corn field just short of a half mile away. Couldn't see exactly where he landed but had a pretty good mark on the general area. Continued on and missed one that I probably should have had with a decent shot and had another one get up out of range and land about two hundred yards away along a creek in the type of grass that we call thigh master grass. The yellow thigh high stuff. Had a good mark on him and went straight for him. Got over to where he was and the dog immeditaley was looking right in front of her for him. She made her move and up he came and I dusted him. Headed across the highway to look for the first one that I dropped the leg on figuring he might have holed up with the broken leg. Took a little bit to get my exact mark back being that far away but got in the general area of where I thought he was and looked around a bit and there he layed dead in a snowy corn row. A big old bruiser of a longspur. When I cleaned him he had the broken leg and one pellet in the lung which must have been what killed him. Glad I made the effort to take a look. It would have been a shame to waste a bird like that. That's late season rooster hunting. One day three hours of nothing and the next day two in twenty minutes. Gotta love it.

Hunted about 4 hours yesterday,with my brother-in-law, 2 birds bagged, one each. We each missed an opportunity with no excuses but poor shooting. Saw tons of birds which is always fun. Made it out this morning for a short hunt, B-inlaw dropped one without the dog nearby, must have been a runner with alot of other scent on the ground, we did not recover the bird, another of those vanished into thin air. I did not get a chance at a bird. It was fun to watch Duey follow scent belonging to a set of tracks in the fresh snow and have the bird bust out of the cats. With only a week left, from what I saw there will apparently be a lot of 2nd year birds for the 08 season. Lots of birds feeding in the fields this morning. Many times you could see 40-50 birds in plowing and identify 12-15 roosters.

Got out a little over the weekend and got 6 birds for 3 guys in about an hour and a half. Saw a lot. Thank goodness for the family get togethers, we are using them up as fast as we can get them.

Went out here in central Iowa today. A lot of birds out feeding. Got 2 big birds and saw many ahead of us. Not me but others in our group missed a few easy shots. Oh well.

Could be a good last few weeks if you get to the field at the right time.

Dog had fun and made a few retrieves. Good to work off some of the christmas calories..... man i am beat now.grin.gif

Good Luck all you late season rooster chasers.

I have a vacation day to burn, so I am headed out tomorrow in the early AM. Figure I will head west until 9 am. I guess I will have to stop if I hit SD. Hoping for 2 more days in the field before the season ends, if I am lucky maybe even 3 more days.

It was great day to be out, but maybe too nice. I got one and missed one (real easy shot too). I did not find near the amount of birds in the cover that I was anticipating, but they were out in the fields feeding for a good portion of the day. The one bird that I got the dog made an excellent retrieve which was nice to see.

I was able to get out with the family yesterday from 9am to 1pm. We hunted our family's land in Appleton and ended up with 8 roosters. We definately were in late-season shooting form, going 8 for 8 on birds the dogs put up, with some being pretty tough shots.

We don't have much for cattails, but did find the birds hanging around the thick cover around the creeks. Did have one rooster holding in a blown-over CRP field nestled in a piece of cover no larger than himself. It was a very mature bird and the dog had to jump on the cover about 5 times before he finally busted. We found no birds in the very thick willow groves suprisingly.

Also, we saw at least 200 birds feeding in fields off of HWY 12. Still a lot of roosters around.

Here's a couple pics from the hunt.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Hunted my last day of the season yesterday. I had 3 opportunities with roosters close enough for good shots. Missed the first one, connected on the second and I was falling through the ice on the third bird (so I did not get off a shot). Overall, it was a very good season by my standards. Strong bird numbers, dog work that continues to get better, but inconsistent shooting on my part.

I do have one question. When we get the snow cover that covers the tops of the cattails. You know where there is a canopy of snow on top and very little snow on the ground below. Do the birds just run on you? I know the dog was on birds the last two times out, but we could not get that many birds to fly.

Was out on Sat around my place with another guy, two hours and four birds, we found most of the birds in the cattails. Four birds in four shots, no misses - I hate walking for hours and then missing! Hoping to sneak out of work a little early today and take one last hike after them.