Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawghunter

What’s up with that?

7 posts in this topic

I purchased a new scent blocker suit and noticed a distinct smell to the clothing.

I’ve washed it three times now with DDW and dried them with DDW drier sheets?

Any ideas?

is this typical?

if it contains carbon, washing it probably won't remove the odor. Dry them on the highest heat setting you have, checking frequently to make sure they don't over dry, as they may shrink. but it is the heat that reactivates the carbon, and to completely reactivate it you would have to burn your clothes, thats how hot it needs to be.

I wouldn't use the DDW dryer sheets or other cover scents in the dryer or storage bag. All you are doing is giving the carbon somthing to adsorb thus reducing the effectiveness of your suit. Just spray the suit down good with scent blocker spray before you hit the woods and that should kill any scent on the outside.

I noticed this with my scentlok shirt I bought last year. Hard to describe, it almost smells like black licorice??

That's because scent containment suits are world class snake oil. One of the bigger hoaxes ever foisted upon the sporting community.

Scent containment suits smell like the guy in Tiawan who sewed it, the box it was packed in, the shipping container it sat in, the stock room it hung in, the Cabelas employee who hung it, and the 500 customers who touched it before the buyer. When you understand the properties of activated carbon, you understand that it takes temperatures in excess of what the fabric can tolerate in order to "rejuvinate" it. It was also be as hot as wearing a morgue body-bag in order to adequately contain all of your bodies scent.

It works for some because it instills confidence, the wind was right, or it was pure coincidence that they didn't get busted.

Pipe down, DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE, and hunt the wind.

Mine had that same odor at first also. That was 3 years ago. I spray the outside of the suite with wildlife research scent killer and it's good to go.

I don't understand why you guys that don't like or agree with scent blocker suits have to continually whine about them. If you don't like the product don't use it!! To say it doesn't work for me is idiotic! You have no clue if it does or not. The suit is designed to keep my odor in not to keep any odor from getting on the outside. I know how many times I should have been busted and didn't get busted, it can't be coincidence that many times. "Hunt the wind" is a neat little saying and you can try to do that, but you cannot control mother nature. wind switches, swirls and gusts. Deer will come from anywhere at anytime.

Nova, I second that statement. When you hunt bluff country, the thermals change with the temperature, then you throw in the wind factor, I have to be very picky about scent control. Last weekend, I had a little buck directly downwind from me. He had no idea where I was, I was thankful that I had my scentlok suit on. I still use a strict scent control regimen, but coupled with the scentlok suit, I can honestly say that I haven't been busted, or seen a deer bust me by its nose since I started using one. I will continue to throw my money away on scentlok. If people didn't think that it worked, they wouldn't buy it. Those that have it are usually very positive about it. Hunters are not a stupid population. We don't usually fall for every new gimmick. When one comes out, if it doesn't work, it goes away pretty fast because we quit buying it. Scentlok has been around for a number of years, which to me, says a lot about its credibility.