Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
colonel42

Sheds from last

7 posts in this topic

I was out on Saturday cleaning up a shooting lane and found both side of a last years shed. 13 points with 10" brow tines. They were laying in the water and my question is what chemical can I use to clean them up??? The have brown and green coloring and want to see if I can make them white.

I always leave them in the sun to bleach them

I just ordered some peroxide (not the same as you can get at the pharmacy) from a taxidermy supply place last week for a skull I found. Worked great, just be sure to get enough to completely cover the horns. Let them sit in the stuff for a few days, then rinse and put in the sun to dry.

Just for giggles how much $$ for the peroxide??? Is it a powder or liquid form?? Thanks for the idea I didn't even think about calling a taxidermist.

I think with shipping it was about $10 a quart. It is a liquid.

In the vandykes book, which is cabelas taxadermy outfit. You can order the peroxide and the whitening agent. YOu mix them together into a mayo like paste, Paint it on and 2 days later wash it off. Works very well.

I spoke with a taxidermist yesterday and he told me to try laquor thinner. So far this AM nothing has changed with the racks. I will give the VanDykes a look and see what they suggest. Thanks