Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Lured_In

27" Bass Caught and Released out of Tonka this weekend???

Lured_In

Anyone hear or have close knowledge of a 27" Bass caught and releases on Tonka this past weekend??? Heard on Bears Facts and Fish Tales last night on 1500 AM, that someone had caught and released a monster they had caught while fishing top water for muskie.........truth or fish tale?????

Matt Johnson

Wow?!?! 27-inches should take over the state record and then some... past 10 pounds even... my guess would be that it's a fish tale...

EBass

LOL - there isn't any 27" bass in this state! The state record was 23.5".

TurnUpTheFishing

I dont think a northern strain bass can attain those lenghts. Either someone is lying or they need to brush up on their fish identification skills!

vister

my brother caught a 23.5 inch bass late this summer. Had the state record not been broken last year, it may have had it at 8lbs 7 oz. a 27 incher would be over 10 lbs easily, so fish tale i would say

The Grebe

frown.gif Oh ye non believers! There is to a 27 inch bass in Minnesota, there is! Ruby slippers to! At least there was....Why, there is even a 25 pound smallmouth, really...I talked to a guy down by the river that caught it!

He had a white beard and white hair and at first I thought that perhaps it was St. Nick on his day off, but when I got a closer look, I realized that although they may have been distantly related, it wasn't him. When he swore at a pike that cut him off, I figured he must have been from the side of the St. Nick family that isn't talked about!

He also got a 4 pound crappie the same day! Really, he did, cause he told me he did! Why should I not believe him? tongue.gif

HAppnhook

I have caught many 6-7lb fish in a pond across the street from ewhere I live. A few years ago, a neighbor kid caught a 6.75 and it is still in the freezer and the pond winterkills every 4-5 years. So don't be too hard on the tale!!!

Maximum12

HAppnhook, sorry, I missed your address? grin.gif

polarsusd81

I can pretty confidently say that there isn't a 27" bass swimming in a Minnesota lake. The biggest I have caught was a 24.5" and that was just shy of a thousand miles south of here. I will be back to the same body of water in a month though, so maybe I can better that number. I have learned a lot in the last couple years since fishing there so I might have a chance.

tunrevir

Truth or fish tale? Heh,heh, haah. Well we are mostly all fisherpeople here and if it was that big........... coulda been a carp! Seriously, if that fish was CPR'd Kudos to the fisherperson. If it is a load well..........we are all fisherpeople, right?

Tunrevir~ grin.gif

HAppnhook

Max, what's it worth to ya? smile.gif It is truly a bass factory. You can go out and hook into a dozen or so just from shore. I had a very large one take off a 1 pounder last year so I know that a few of the big ones survived the last kill.

ricqik

Quote:

LOL - there isn't any 27" bass in this state! The state record was 23.5".

Actually there is, uhm, was. An novice angler caught it from O'Dowd off a $1.99 spinner, unfortunately the fish was dinner before it can be officially weigh. The angler skinned the fish so the skin was retained and measure and came out to 27" and girth was 18" or so and weight was est to be 10-11lbs. Was in the newspaper some yrs ago along with a picture to prove. Yes it is a brute. I still have the newpaper clipping, somewhere. I've moved 4 times since so I'll scan and post it when I can find it.

ezwalt

That’s one of the greatest fish stories ever. Do you remember why he skinned and ate the fish? He thought it was a carp… Talk about your stupid luck confused.gif

Griggs

Its true. I caught it.

EBass

Quote:

Actually there is, uhm, was. An novice angler caught it from O'Dowd off a $1.99 spinner, unfortunately the fish was dinner before it can be officially weigh. The angler skinned the fish so the skin was retained and measure and came out to 27" and girth was 18" or so and weight was est to be 10-11lbs. Was in the newspaper some yrs ago along with a picture to prove. Yes it is a brute. I still have the newpaper clipping, somewhere. I've moved 4 times since so I'll scan and post it when I can find it.

I'm not buying that either.

TMF89

I'm 50/50 on it, I'd love to read the paper clipping. People like that shouldn't be allowed to fish, or have children! I mean seriously, like... how do you screw that up?

DTro

yeah that's actually a true story, not sure about the length though, but there was a story for sure about an asian fellow that put a knife to a very big bass. As the years go by of course it gets bigger and bigger. Now that I think about it I'm sure it was 28" smirk.gif

ricqik

Quote:

People like that shouldn't be allowed to fish, or have children! I mean seriously, like... how do you screw that up?

Now now, don't tainte the story too much. He simply went out to fishing hoping to get a few for the table, just so happens big ole liked his spinner better than a nice lively sunfish. I'm glad someone caught it and it made public then to have it die and never known then we'll all just keep saying MN bass don't grow that big.

MSRiverdog

Quote:

yeah that's actually a true story, not sure about the length though, but there was a story for sure about an asian fellow that put a knife to a very big bass. As the years go by of course it gets bigger and bigger. Now that I think about it I'm sure it was 28"
smirk.gif

I caught one of them to but from a drainage ditch, sure tasted good, I lost the pic, it was a lot of years ago. My neighbors thought I imported a Grouper from Antartica it was so big. wink.gif

Blainebob

Those dis-believers are the guys that have only caught the one and a half pounders.I myself have a state certified 23 1/2 incher weighing 8lbs3/4oz from a metro lake.Anythignn in this state over 6# is a trophy,and remember the old saying,there is always a bigger one out there!

waxworm

I caught a 27" bass in Florida that only weighed 7 3/4 pounds, so I guess I can believe it.

B@ssDoctor

Quote:

Those dis-believers are the guys that have only caught the one and a half pounders.I myself have a state certified 23 1/2 incher weighing 8lbs3/4oz from a metro lake.Anythignn in this state over 6# is a trophy,and remember the old saying,there is always a bigger one out there!

Photo Please! Mount or release....

Duffman

Quote:

First off, we don't grow them that long up here boys, it's just not possible. Check out all the state records for largemouth in the midwest and beyond. For those that list lengths, you will be hard pressed to find anything longer than 25". This includes states that have very little ice cover if any at all.

I've caught a decent number of bigger largemouths and I'd even state that a 5lb fish is a trophy fish for the majority of casual to somewhat serious fisherman in MN. 6 lbs is a rare catch and that fish will probably be around 21".

The current state record holder said that he considers a 7 lb. bass (22") to be a once in a lifetime catch in MN. And this is coming from a tourney guy. A 27"er in MN?, no way, no how. Those 20 lb. California bass come in around 28 1/2", now someone is trying to tell me that someone caught and released a bass on 'tonka, a bass that most likely at this time of year would double the current state record in weight. Yeeeaaaaa right. grin.gif

katoguy

Gotta go with Duffman on this. The northern strain of largies in MN (shorter growing season) will not grow this long. I have one on the wall that went 8-0. Not even a true 23" (girth something like 19", though - will have to check the records). Another 4" on a northern strain would be another how many pounds? Northern strain have reached 16#, but certainly not this far north. I do think there are some 10#ers swimming in MN.

But, heck, anything is possible. Keep the faith.

TurnUpTheFishing

Katoguy, did that fish on your wall come from MN waters? Thats a pig!